LegacyGT.com

Legacy TurboDiesel Review

mcumeda

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Car magazine out of the UK just had a writeup on the Legacy Wagon Diesel.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Subaru-Legacy-Sports-Tourer-20TD-RE/?&R=EPI-5481

49.6 mpg so that's ~41 mpg for the US. For comparison the UK Legacy 2.5SE gets 33.2 mpg (~28 mpg US) in their combined cycle, EPA rates our 2.5i at 20/27. I'm guessing the 2.0L turbo diesel could get ~40 mpg on the highway in the EPA testing.

0-60 in 8.5 sec, that's about the same as the 2.5i 5MT right?

Wonder whether the too light steering "feel" they complain about was due to tire pressures. I suspect that had something to do with it.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

So, if my math is right, Subaru is claiming a combined 42.2 MPG. Pretty darn good. Too bad we'll never see it here.

We will. In 2010 (calendar year).

Engine: 1998cc 4-cyl 16v diesel, 148bhp @ 3600 rpm, 258lb ft @ 1800 rpm Transmission: Five-speed manual, four-wheel drive Performance: 8.5sec 0-60mph, 126mph, 49.6mpg, 151g/km CO2

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Yep, the legacy wagon diesel looks great (http://www.boxerdiesel.com/en/index.html). I'd buy it as-is, with 2L diesel and 5MT. I'd MUCH MUCH prefer a wagon, but I'd consider a sedan if I had to. Prefer Legacy to Outback, but I guess I'm in a minority these days.

I'm driving a 98 Legacy wagon 5MT...160K miles...running great...excellent car...would like to trade in for something that gets better MPG in a year or two. The current 2.5L Subies don't cut it, MPG wise...I need diesel/hybrid mileage what with the price of gas these days. I'll give Subaru a couple of years to get their act together, but I'll buy a Toyota next time if Subies are still getting 25-30MPG.

Love the AWD here in Maine...

Just for fun I have captured the Subaru diesel commercial that they run right now:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/subarudiesel.mpg

I hope it works for you - plays actually best in Winamp while Windows Media Player is a little quirky but it plays there too.

Plays fine in Win MP. Other than the opening and closing frames, everything else is crystal clear. Decent, simple message. Now get it "here".

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

signed

i am not sure who's got it right america or europe. lets see,

1. diesel is more expensive than gas in US, eventhough it cost less to produce

2. cars are infinitely more customizable in europe starting with 5,6,7,8 or more options just for the engine (displacement, diesel, and turbo combinations)

3. alternate fuels such as natural gas and LP are readily available in Europe

4. list goes on/

well, my opinion is that us is making gas guzzlers so that the oil company executives and their buddies can make a lot of money and fast, the fact that diesel is expensive and all manufacturers are very slow to offer these in us only support this.

subaru just bring the darn diesel to us, NOW !!!

I'm an activist in my spare time, and as a business exec., I know that getting the word to the decision makers is the most challenging aspect of bring about change.

However, I've also found that it's not that difficult, if you put some effort and thought into it.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/subarudiesel

Check out the petition and sign it.

3. alternate fuels such as natural gas and LP are readily available in Europe

In State College we have had hydrogen and natural gas for awhile. But I just noticed today that there is a station selling E85 and for $2.99 a gallon. Twas the first time I had ever seen E85 available. Regular costs $3.29 a gallon so given the 15-20% decrease in fuel economy when running off of E85 Im willing to bet that you would break even.

Would you like to see an E85 capable Subaru?

Not really, no.

I am seeing an influx of PZEV Outbacks, which is weird because 6 months ago I had never seen even one. As this is the land of the Subaru Im hoping more of these get on the road so that my street smells less like ass.

Archived