LegacyGT.com

Clearing up all the oil info....

Question after reading several post's including the First 5W-50 or 5-40. i live in NY so i don't think i would need 0w-40/50 since the weather has not been that cold.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of 0w oils for these cars. I'm using 10w-30 dino oil in my 05 and 5w-40 Amsoil Euorpean oil in my 09.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have an 05 OBXT with 19k so i'm just looking at everything i want to make it last. thanks. 5w-40 it is.

HAMMERDOWN, Mike is the one that got me into Amsoil. Follow his story and you'll understand why its a good thing.

I didn't do the whole double filter route but I do have Blackstone Labs analyze my oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just got 2 gallons of Shell Rotella 5w-40. I asked sales clerk if they have any 1qts and he said they pulled qts off the shelves and sent back. I wonder why???

I'm guessing, because most trucks that use that oil take 8+ qt's. Most people just buy the gallon or 2 or 3...

I get my Shell Rotella T normally from Walmart its under $22 for a jug however they also have quarts also. I normally get two of the large jug containers and two quarts. For two oil changes of course.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

i used rottela for a year and after a year my valve cover started leaking LOL

so i went back to normal 5w30 from valvoline and leakes stopped i dunno about you guys but i have been getting good results [leak wise] using normal oils or regular synthetic from valvoline

So i decided to try out mobil 1's 5w-40 synthetic turbo diesel truck, its not energy conserving, and the two stores i went to didnt have any other suitable 5w-40 options :mad: anyway, all is well...here are the specs:

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/oils/mobil_1_turbo_diesel_truck_5w-40.aspx#

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications:

API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/ SM/SL/SJ

ACEA E7

Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3

also, here is another interesting fact about the turbo diesel mobil 1 oil-

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is recommended for use in all super high performance diesel applications, including modern low emission engine designs with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). These applications include the following:

• On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
  • Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
  • Virtually all diesel powered equipment from American, European, and Japanese equipment builders
  • High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets
  • Refrigeration units

just checked some UOA's on it from duramax and cummins owners and vw owners, 10k oci and analysis came back very good. of course im not going that far

Why not, I go 10,000 miles on my Amsoil 5w-40 in the 09. It's been almost 6,000 miles and the oil is still full, I haven't added any.

because 500mi on new engine, thats why. lol

LOL I realize that, I'm just giving you a hint for when your break'in is done.

That's only with the 5w-30 Mobil 1

i was analyzing the 5w-30 bottle and vuala! "energy conserving" on the back...bingo. it seems all the oils people complain about are resource and evergy conserving...they thin out quicker to improve gas mileage. and improve the turbo grenade under your hood

i was analyzing the 5w-30 bottle and vuala! "energy conserving" on the back...bingo. it seems all the oils people complain about are resource and evergy conserving...they thin out quicker to improve gas mileage. and improve the turbo grenade under your hood

Well yea, that also helps to keep the economy going by you having to buy another turbo and most people will pay someone to replace it, so that's helps to fuel the recovery...creats more jobs, so people have more money to buy more things. Hopefully using more Mobil 1 5w-30, there by repeating the cycle...lol