LegacyGT.com

Clearing up all the oil info....

• Mega Users
Checked the oil and its a lil low.. Could i add 5w40 if i have been previously running 5w30?

I have a few extra quarts of 5w40 just want to check first

if mines a little low, ill add whatever I got lying around. last time I put a little 40:1 mix and chain oil to top it off.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

if mines a little low, ill add whatever I got lying around. last time I put a little 40:1 mix and chain oil to top it off.

Thanks I needed a good laugh.

Hey I bet Bar oil would be great......... $9.00 for a gallon of the good stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users
:rolleyes: was out of Bar oil & use Amsoil 75W-90 Server Gear oil. It's the best "Bar Oil" I every used. :cool:

Mike

that's pretty badass. I'm cutting some serious trees down columbus day weekend. pretty stoked.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

that's pretty badass. I'm cutting some serious trees down columbus day weekend. pretty stoked.

Gee I'd offer to help but that's the same weekend as the Shakedown at Etown, sorry ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

An acquaintance (and a more respected member of LGT forum than I will ever be) has used M1 5-30 since day one in his 05 LGT, and no regrets. So that is what I am leaning toward, though I've been mixing in 1+ quart of M1 0-40 for the heckuvit. So maybe I'm running 3.75W32.5, of a semi-affordable P4 lubricant.

Anyway, I'm nuts, and I think this is all overkill for any daily driver who changes oil every 4K miles or so. Maybe you racerheads or arctic cats need more.

For now, blue Subaru filters, though I'm pissed I missed the end of an ebay auction for 3 Tokyo Roki filters that went for under $18 total. Glad WIX has stepped up with their 57712. May have to try one soon.

I just switched to castrol conventional 10w40 and going 5w40 in about 2 months. Using WIX 57712's. My car is protuned w/VF52. I know the extended benefits of synthetic, however I change my oil any where from 2000 to 3000 miles, never over. Castrol is a personal favorite of mine, hopefully the subaru enjoys it as well.

I'm thinking of going with Amsoil 0w-30 with Amsoil EA filter. It gets down to 35 degrees at night here now, and a high of about 70. In a few months it'll be below 0 to 30 degrees at night.

I wanted to go with Amsoil 0w40 but they say that's for four-stroke engines?

Has anyone used Amsoil and how do they like it?

I've got M1 full synthetic 5w30 in it now, but I'm hearing not so good things from it. Also, Amsoil can make your OCI last much longer than 3k

Edited by Roche

I run Amsoil in everything I own and couldn't wait to run out the dino oil that was in my Legacy after I brought her home. As soon as I could I used the Amsoil engine flush and then proceded to fill with 5w30 Signature Series. Man,... that makes a motor quiet!

I drive 73 miles a day round trip from work and she now has about 12K on this oil change. Just for piece of mind I'll change it again before winter really hits, although the oil still looks and smells fine.

I run Amsoil in everything I own and couldn't wait to run out the dino oil that was in my Legacy after I brought her home. As soon as I could I used the Amsoil engine flush and then proceded to fill with 5w30 Signature Series. Man,... that makes a motor quiet!

I drive 73 miles a day round trip from work and she now has about 12K on this oil change. Just for piece of mind I'll change it again before winter really hits, although the oil still looks and smells fine.

Nice, sounds like I'll pick up 5w30 signature series.

Is the engine flush (http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=953)

like Engine Restore?

The only problem is I have to do it at the dealer and I know they won't do it right.

Edited by Roche

The flush can't hurt. I doubt it will help. Why do you think you need it ?

I use to use Gunk motor flush.

I hear it works well to keep the engine in good shape. I used to use it in my older cars and it slightly improved the way they ran.

It gets rid of a lot of crap in the engine that can be caused by many miles of garbage dino oil.

I used the engine/trans flush on my aunt's Forrester when I switched it over to Amsoil, after 65K of dino oil. She went home and called me the next day wanting to know what I did to her car. Thinking something was wrong, she quickly added the thing took off like 10 pissed off gorillas when she got on the interstate. She said it had never ran that well since she had owned it.

Now I don't know what it could've been, but I personally noticed my Taurus SHO ran a heck of a lot cooler after I did the same flush on it and it had already been on Amsoil for 2 seasons before the flush. I always recommend doing the flush when switching to your first change of Amsoil.

Yeah, I wouldn't like the idea of letting the dealer do it myself. However if you do try and do it yourself, it can be a bit messy when you do the flush. It comes out like hot water, not oil and it gushes out! :eek:

BTW, I double checked my mileage today and I have over 13K on this oil change, not the almost 12K I mentioned above. The EAO filter is recommended for up to 15K, but the oil is covered to 25K. Most I have ever put on one change was over 17K on my wife's Outback sedan, (170K and still purrs like a kitten). As I said, I"m going to change it again in my Legacy in the next couple of weeks, just for piece of mind.

Besides I just ordered a Fumoto drain valve and gotta get that installed. ;)

Edited by Fastball
Terrible spelling!!

BTW, I double checked my mileage today and I have over 13K on this oil change, not the almost 12K I mentioned above. The EAO filter is recommended for up to 15K, but the oil is covered to 25K. Most I have ever put on one change was over 17K on my wife's Outback sedan, (170K and still purrs like a kitten). As I said, I"m going to change it again in my Legacy in the next couple of weeks, just for piece of mind.

One correction 25k is only for N\A engine under "Normal Service". Because Amsoil automatically put force induction engines in the " Severe Service", which OCI is 15k.

SERVICE LIFE

AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline-fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

• In all non-gasoline-fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

*OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer

(1) Engines operating under modified conditions (non-stock) are excluded from extended drain recommendations. Examples include the use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the manufacturer.

(2) Mechanically sound engines are in good working condition and do not, for example, leak or consume excessive amounts of oil, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not leak antifreeze and have properly working emissions control systems. AMSOIL recommends repairing malfunctioning engines prior to the installation of AMSOIL synthetic oils.

(3) Personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16 km) at a time and not operating under severe service.

(4) Turbo/supercharged engines, commercial or fleet vehicles, excessive idling, vehicles with more than 100,000 miles without prior continuous use of AMSOIL motor oil, daily short-trip driving less than 10 miles (16 km), frequent towing, plowing, hauling or dusty condition driving.

AMSOIL Ea® Full-Flow Oil Filters are designed for extended change intervals. They stop smaller particles, flow more oil and last longer than regular filters. For best performance, use AMSOIL Ea Full-Flow Oil Filters.

But IMO, if your OA's come back "good for continuous use " Then keep on trucking.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Well I'm still in the clear for 25K. Mine's not a turbo. Thanks for the clarification by the way!

Just as well. I wouldn't dare run a turbo on that long of an oil change. My first Subie was an '87 XT Turbo and I was religious about 3K dino oil changes. My OEM turbo lasted to around 160K. Dealer said it was one of the longest they had ever seen last that long.

Unfortunately the dealer won't do it, because its not "recommended by Subaru" I have to get its "recommended" service done in order to get my free tires. Which are bald.

So I could bring it in, get new tires, and then do the oil change myself and be set for a good 5k :lol:

But what do you guys think?

I could just go with Rotella T6 and a good filter to save the hassle but I do want that engine flush.

Edited by Roche

Subaru makes a engine flush that is on the shelf behind the parts guy at my dealers. I have used it becasue it say's on the can ok for turbo's.

Just dump a can of Gunk Motor flush in the engine and have Jiffy Lube change the oil.

I'm not a big fan of Rotella once I saw how quickly that stuff can break down. I used it for a couple of seasons in my V65 Magna. It ran cooler and shifted great, but then saw some in depth testing on the Rotella.

Never touched that stuff again!

• Moderators
I'm not a big fan of Rotella once I saw how quickly that stuff can break down. I used it for a couple of seasons in my V65 Magna. It ran cooler and shifted great, but then saw some in depth testing on the Rotella.

Never touched that stuff again!

Was the "in depth" testing you saw based on a turbocharged subaru? 'Cause if not, no one here really cares.

Not trying to be a dick here, but I believe several folks have done UOAs on Rotella T6, 5w-40 and the results have been good. Could be wrong though, never bothered to worry to terribly much--I just change it on the regular.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

put in amsoil 5w-30 yesterday and napa gold filter (wix equivelent). guy before put in catrol edge syntec and it came out pretty dark at 3800 but not sludgy

will check in on the amsoil periodically and maybe change it at 3800 or 4500

Edited by stuck686

put in amsoil 5w-30 yesterday and napa gold filter (wix equivelent). guy before put in catrol edge syntec and it came out pretty dark at 3800 but not sludgy

will check in on the amsoil periodically and maybe change it at 3800 or 4500

I hear good things about the Napa Gold filter so I think I'd go with that.

My friend swears on Amsoil. His Civics oil is great after 6k miles. But then again its a civic :lol: