LegacyGT.com

Clearing up all the oil info....

• 4 weeks later...
Changed my oil yesterday after work like always I used Shell Rotella T6 synthetic and a black OEM tokyo roki oil filter ;)

You make it sound so easy....;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just read through this thread...

I bought an 06 recently that had a bad turbo (got a good deal on it). I had the dealer replace the turbo / flush the oil system and I was told the same thing mentioned above - DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC. I've never worried about oil before in my Audis (non-turbo) and now I'm paranoid that not using the correct oil will kill my new turbo...

I'm not sure what oil was used for the first 88K miles but given that the turbo was junk as a result of "using the wrong oil or not changing frequently enough" (according to the mechanic at the dealer) I'm now paranoid!

At this point I'm thinking I should: start using 5w40 synthetic and change every 3K. Does this make sense?

The "Do not use synthetic" is just bullshit. As long as the oil conforms to or exceeds the specs required you are good.

5W40 is fine, but also check the other specs.

Thanks.

Even with my limited knowledge, I sort of suspected that was the case. I don't understand - is it some global conspiracy where Subaru dealers want us to use regular oil? There has to be some reason behind it...profit motive? Why not say that all Subarus should use regular oil? Or do they think that because most people don't understand turbos they can slip it by them?

I'm using Amsoil 5w-40 European in my 09 Spec B with Amsoil Sever Gear 75w-90 in the Tranny and rear diff.

HAMMER DOWN got me on the stuff. He's over 177,000 miles on the 0w-30, check out his post on here.

I also use Blackstone Labs for my oil Analiese.

My 05 has what ever 5w-30 or 10w-30 or Rotella 15w-40 conventional oil and Amsoil Sever Gear in the tranny and Extra-S in the rear diff because I had a bottle left over. If It didn't the replacement rear diff would have Sever Gear in it.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...
I just bought a 07 legacy specB with 89k on it. ill be doing the first oil change this weekend. Ill probably be running 5w40 Motorcraft syn-blend and see how it goes. Yea i know everyone is talking about M1, royal, rotella but ill go with motorcraft mainly because I work a ford dealership in northeast atlanta and it comes cheap with my discount and its pretty realiable. Ill keep you guys posted on how the motor likes it and see where I go from there.

my car doesnt need oil it uses unicorn blood;)

Wrong thread there bucko, that reply belongs in one of the many "what oil should I use" threads.

;)

Ok, OT post warning but w/ all the oil interest I figured I could get a valuable response.

Been using 10w/30 amsoil for a while since it has the best thermal and wear properties I could find from the amsoil lineup suitable for the 2.5gt. Problem:

My 05 oil consumption has gotten worse over time but was always bad ever since I bought it used. I'm now at a quart every 2-3 weeks of sporadic use cycled in w/ my other cars. Recently I've begun to notice burning smells, perhaps oil, inside the cabin on sporadic occasion, sometimes puffs of smoke from the hood scoop after stopping at a red light. I pull over and pop the hood and NEVER see oil drips, oil gushing or leaking anywhere from above or below. If it's leaking it burns up as soon as it contacts something, perhaps the exhaust manifold? I can't figureout where the hell my oil is going! Btw, car passes smog in CA.

Thoughts appreciated.

Ok, OT post warning but w/ all the oil interest I figured I could get a valuable response.

Been using 10w/30 amsoil for a while since it has the best thermal and wear properties I could find from the amsoil lineup suitable for the 2.5gt. Problem:

My 05 oil consumption has gotten worse over time but was always bad ever since I bought it used. I'm now at a quart every 2-3 weeks of sporadic use cycled in w/ my other cars. Recently I've begun to notice burning smells, perhaps oil, inside the cabin on sporadic occasion, sometimes puffs of smoke from the hood scoop after stopping at a red light. I pull over and pop the hood and NEVER see oil drips, oil gushing or leaking anywhere from above or below. If it's leaking it burns up as soon as it contacts something, perhaps the exhaust manifold? I can't figureout where the hell my oil is going! Btw, car passes smog in CA.

Thoughts appreciated.

This post should be in the 4th gen forum.

Anyway's, it's most likely a valve cover gasket that's leaking.

How many miles on it ?

My 05 uses oil too. I can smell burnt oil a couple times a week. I also smell power steering fluid.

• 3 weeks later...

Redline is an excellent oil.

Mobil 1 depends on which one you are referring to. Mobil 1 15,000 mile is the full synthetic, the other 2 (5,000 & 10,000) are mineral/synthetic blends.

Anyone that tells you flat out, not to run synthetics is an idiot.

• 2 weeks later...