LegacyGT.com

Synthetic Oils - Let's Be Honest!

Which is the best based on info below?  

49,989 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best based on info below?

• Mobil1
    • Amsoil
    • Penzoil
    • Valvoline
    • Castrol
    • Royal Purple
    • Redline
    • Rotella
    • Other...(named in post)

I have been reading so much information, some contradictory and some irrelevant about synthetic oils and it is making my head spin! Some people love one brand and others will try to bash it to all ends. I am not really trying to start a debate here, but I am VERY much torn as to what synthetic oil to switch over to at my 10K mile mark. So I will phrase the dangerous question and put on my flame suit. Let's assume a stock car in a varying climate like where I am (CT).

Regardless of price, what is the BEST synthetic oil to use for out GT or Spec B? (brand and weight - please be specific)

:hide:

Jeez, as you write above, this debate has been beaten to death.

Lots love Mobil, others have had problems.

My dealer only suggests and uses Castrol Syntec. It's what I used based on their recommendation. I haven't heard of Castrol horror stories on this board. Have you, spect2k?

If not, use Castrol. /thread.

Quaker State for High performance engines w/no problems 10w-30.

I have used Mobile 1 Redline Penzoil platinum and now Quaker State with no problems other than the Redline allowing for a loud valvetrain but this was 5w-30.

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

This poll is worthless. E.g. there big differences between e.g different weights and types of Mobil 1 oils.

You could do as well poll "Which car is the best?":

Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Subaru, Ford, Chrysler, Ferrari.

:rolleyes:

And this is "what oil do you use" thread number 400,000?

My 2 cents: Your car isn't going to blow up if you use mobil 1 or dino valvoline or shell rotella. Your car isn't going to last significantly longer because you used motul/amsoil/redline, your wallet will just be far more empty. I can't find any reason to split hairs and seriously upgrade oil unless you're running a high stage 2 or stage 3 and/or your racing (actually racing) the car. Your car (99% of the time) is going to break because of some other defect or hard driving or you being a dumba$$ and not checking your oil and making your turbo oil lines coke and starve the bearing.

What do I use, I use mobil1. Reason: its cheap at walmart, easy to get, my car is stock and autox less than 3 times a year, i plan on keeping my car for so long my kids will have to pay someone when im dead to take it, and my wife thinks im 10x hotter and manlier because of it.

The only things IMO that are worth high end lubricants are the gearbox (sig. improves feel), the diff, the brakes, and the steering rack. Syn. lubes improve feel and have so much longer of a life they usually work out to be cheaper in the long run.

This poll is worthless. E.g. there big differences between e.g different weights and types of Mobil 1 oils.

You could do as well poll "Which car is the best?":

Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Subaru, Ford, Chrysler, Ferrari.

:rolleyes:

So forget the poll - I suppose I was using the poll more as asking what people use. And you are right, there are big differences between the oils of the same brand at different weights. However, I am asking about the LGT engine and what people think is the best oil for our engines - based on stock engines in a variety climate as stated. By asking what oil is best, I am not only asking about brand, but also about weight - again for our engine, not just in general like your 'which car is the best' statement.

The nice thing about Amsoil is they give you all the specs on their oil. I haven't found that for the competitors. To me that says something. I have strictly ran amsoil in all my vehicles for some time now. I use oil analysis to make sure I am doing right. That is really the only way you know.

Once again JDM Quaker State.

Now for a Spec B that would be different because the motors are completely different......I would only go to the Subaru dealer and use whatever they sell specifically for the Spec B

:lol:

^^ Haha not so much. what is with you people and these immature, not-so-funny sarcastic, highly retarded spec B comments? Is it jealousy?? Or is it the opposite, is it that you think you are superior because you DIDN'T spend the extra money for it? Is it not ignorant and arrogant to think that just b/c the spec B would be a waste of money to you it is a waste of money to everyone? Clearly that is not the case, yet if you are THAT narrow minded and egotistical that you feel it to be true, there are other forums that you could pester. Clearly mommy and daddy aren't done raising their little boy...

^^ Haha not so much. what is with you people and these immature, not-so-funny sarcastic, highly retarded spec B comments? Is it jealousy?? Or is it the opposite, is it that you think you are superior because you DIDN'T spend the extra money for it? Is it not ignorant and arrogant to think that just b/c the spec B would be a waste of money to you it is a waste of money to everyone? Clearly that is not the case, yet if you are THAT narrow minded and egotistical that you feel it to be true, there are other forums that you could pester. Clearly mommy and daddy aren't done raising their little boy...

You have no idea what is going on, do you ?

Well when you post a thread on a subject that has been covered innumerable times what do you expect? I could just lock it but what fun would that be?

Besides, it is funny. Today must be give moderators a hard time day.

Enjoy your Spec B and the magic oil you obviously think it needs.

Ask not why the forum reacts like that. Ask who caused this behavior and what you can do for the forum !

^^ I don't? People are making 'funny' comments that the spec B and the LGT engines are different - when we all know that not to be the case. Not that rao was the only one making these ridiculous comments and ruining a thread, but I would think that someone such as him - a moderator - would have better sense.

Well when you post a thread on a subject that has been covered innumerable times what do you expect? I could just lock it but what fun would that be?

Besides, it is funny. Today must be give moderators a hard time day.

Enjoy your Spec B and the magic oil you obviously think it needs.

Clearly, I wasn't able to find the information covered. Not everybody is as much of an 'expert' as you. I am looking for information. If I need to be made fun of, I can go find a place especially FOR that. Does it make sense that I would start a new thread to ask information that I found in a search?

And this is a moderator??? wow...

Archived