LegacyGT.com

Trucks

I wanna farm so  

28 members have voted

1. 1. I wanna farm so

Neither. Style wise both are bland, but then again so is my Tundra.

Ford has weak engines and is still stuck on 4 speed autos, their recent efforts with International making diesels have been dismal. Hopefully that will change.

Dodge makes a good motor, and of late their tranny's can finally handle the power. Cummins provides excellent diesels for them. The rest of the truck and overall build quality/durability = crap.

Denali all the way.

I like the Denali, but GM doesn't offer it in an off road oriented packaging. 20" wheels with thin street tires don't like logging trails very much, and soft street shocks don't like them either.

So I have a Tundra, and thus far it has been great.

I like the Denali, but GM doesn't offer it in an off road oriented packaging. 20" wheels with thin street tires don't like logging trails very much, and soft street shocks don't like them either.

So I have a Tundra, and thus far it has been great.

Actually, it comes with 18" wheels, the 20's are a $1500-$2000 option.

Stock size is: P265/65R18

And the Denali is one hell of a beautiful truck. Those front seats are by far the most comfortable seats even installed in a vehicle.

Actually, it comes with 18" wheels, the 20's are a $1500-$2000 option.

Stock size is: P265/65R18

And the Denali is one hell of a beautiful truck. Those front seats are by far the most comfortable seats even installed in a vehicle.

Just checked and you're right. Still wearing street tires though, and the shocks would need to be changed out too.

Also not too happy about a little 5.5 foot bed either. The 6.5 footer on the Tundra has already been handy a few times, hell it even swallowed up a queen sized bed and base.

wait till the 4.8l turbo diesel finds its way into the 1500 series chevy p/u next year....

I am interested to see how the new diesel's do in 1/2 tons. The motors themselves should be fine, but the new emissions gear and ultra low sulfur diesel fuel have me worried. Curious to see if the mileage is any better than gas, and see how durability is on the emissions crap.

I will be looking for a diesel 1/2 ton next go around, once all the bugs are sorted out.

Trucks, trucks, trucks. Apparently trucks are whats making Texas so polluted. Friggin Texans. Everything has to be bigger! Ive always been partial to the Ford Ranger myself.

Texas is biggest carbon polluter

By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press WriterWed Jan 16, 6:46 PM ET

Everything's big in Texas — big pickup trucks, big SUVs and the state's big carbon footprint, too. Texans' fondness for large, manly vehicles has helped make the Lone Star State the biggest carbon polluter in the nation.

The headquarters state of America's oil industry spewed 670 million metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere in 2003, enough that Texas would rank seventh in the world if it were its own country, according to the most recent figures from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. The amount is more than that of California and Pennsylvania — the second- and third-ranking states — combined.

A multitude of factors contribute to the carbon output, among them: Texas' 19 coal-burning power plants; a heavy concentration of refineries and chemical plants; a lack of mass transit; and a penchant among ranchers and urban cowboys alike for brawny, gas-guzzling trucks — sometimes to haul things, but often just to look Texas tough.

Debbie Howden, an Austin real estate agent, said her family of six has two pickup trucks, three SUVs, and no apologies. "I would definitely put size and safety over the emissions thing," said Howden, 55. She calls their high fuel bills a "necessary evil."

Anthony Nguyen attended the famously liberal University of California at Berkeley but drives a black Nissan Frontier pickup handed down from his dad, a liquor store owner near Houston. Nguyen said his father hauled liquor around in the truck, but he admitted he has no practical use for its large bed.

"I think it's the idea that in Texas, everything is bigger," said Nguyen, 20. "I grew up here, and I think it's pretty cool."

While states such as like California and New York are moving quickly to address global warming, the issue has prompted only scattered calls for reforms here. GOP leaders in Texas have refused to make emissions reduction a priority, and Republican Gov. Rick Perry has expressed doubt as to whether global warming is even a manmade problem.

Texas political leaders read "environmental protection as government activism" and want no part of it, said Jim Henson, director of the Texas Politics Project at the University of Texas at Austin.

With all the don't-mess-with-Texas swagger he can muster, Perry has called Al Gore's mouth the leading source of carbon dioxide. As for the state's greenhouse gas ranking, Perry's administration makes no apologies.

"Being that Texas is a heavily populated state, that it is the leading producer of energy, has the largest refining capacity and has the largest petrochemical industry in the nation, it would be expected that we would have the largest total of greenhouse gases in the country," Perry spokeswoman Allison Castle said.

Texas, the second most populous state, behind California, has 23.5 million people and more than 20 million registered vehicles, about one in four of them a pickup truck. California has a population of 36.5 million and 33 million registered vehicles.

Transportation accounted for 28 percent of Texas' carbon emissions in 2003.

Texas consumes more coal than any other state. And its per-capita residential use of electricity is significantly higher than the national average, because of high demand for air conditioning during the hot summers and the widespread use of electricity for heating during the winter.

There is little doubt the state's stand on pollution reflects the influence of Texas' biggest and most powerful industry: energy.

"Decisions are not just made by politicians because of a lack of foresight, but in many cases, they have big contributors encouraging them to move in that direction," said Luke Metzger, director of Environment Texas.

Texans polled last spring listed the Iraq war and immigration as the nation's most pressing issues, with fewer than 4 percent saying the environment was a top concern. Nationally, slightly less than half of Americans polled by the Pew Research Center last year rated global warming as a "very serious" problem. Of those, 55 percent say it requires immediate government action.

Kirk Pingel, 28, said his Chevy Trailblazer gets about 18 miles per gallon on the highway, but high gas prices don't deter him: "I'd rather have the luxury of the car I want instead of a car that gets good gas mileage but maybe I didn't want that car."

Pingel coaches youth football and basketball teams and said the extra space in his SUV is useful for transporting sports equipment. His theory on why Texans love their trucks and SUVs? "The larger the car, the bigger you feel," he said.

There is some evidence that attitudes are changing, but only modestly.

The number of hybrid vehicles registered in Texas more than doubled last year, to 48,550. Still, that's only a fraction of 1 percent of all vehicles registered in the state.

"As more hybrids are added on, particularly hybrids that are trucks, you see a spike in those," said Kim Sue Lia Perkes, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Transportation title and registration division. "You might not get Texans out of their trucks, but they will buy their hybrid trucks."

The governor touts the state's leadership on renewable energy, like wind. But environmentalists were outraged early last year when Perry signed an executive order to speed construction of 11 new coal-fired power plants. Plans for most of those plants were eventually scrapped after TXU — the state's biggest utility and the source of $400,000 in contributions to Perry's political campaigns — was sold to a private equity firm.

Last fall, the mayors of the state's seven largest cities kicked off a campaign to encourage Texans to replace incandescent light bulbs with efficient compact fluorescents.

"Texans have long had their heads in the sand and now the sand is getting so hot that they're starting to pull it out and look around at what other states are doing," said Tom "Smitty" Smith, director of Public Citizen's Texas office.

One of the House's most conservative members recently declared there's no sense in debating global warming and created a House Carbon Caucus to address carbon emissions.

"It's not about whether global warming is a fact. I don't think we ever get anywhere with that," said Republican state Rep. Warren Chisum, a rancher from the Texas Panhandle and chairman of the House budget-writing committee. He said about 56 Republican and Democratic House members out of 150 have joined the Carbon Caucus.

Teri Kuester, a textbook consultant, drives a Toyota Tundra pickup around Austin. "We need the ability to go to Home Depot, to go to Lowe's and be able to haul stuff back," she said. "We need the ability to go to the nursery and bring back plants."

But she hopes to buy a more efficient vehicle next time around, and when she can, she walks to the post office and the drugstore instead of driving.

"It's time to quit letting the oil lobbies run things," she said. "We need alternative energy. We're really interested in seeing that."

I didn't realize PA was so polluted. Anyway, here is my favorite part.

Debbie Howden, an Austin real estate agent, said her family of six has two pickup trucks, three SUVs, and no apologies. "I would definitely put size and safety over the emissions thing," said Howden, 55. She calls their high fuel bills a "necessary evil."

Safety. Safety? Just cause you got more steel around you doesnt make you safer. A Legacy is probably safer than a Tahoe. Stops quicker, better balanced, 6 airbags. Wouldnt you agree?

Honestly... I have not been a GM fan in the past, but I think I would probably go with a year or two old Chevy or Ford.

I'd not go for the new Ford or the new Dodge. Besides not wanting to pay depreciating costs of a new truck, these new trucks seem to be more flash than work. More about what other people SEE you drive, versus being truly more useful than a used truck.

As far as 1/2 ton trucks are concerned, my favorite is the new Tundra, followed closely by the Nissan Titan. That may change once diesel powerplants are introduced in light-duty trucks. As far as 3/4 and 1-ton models, I prefer Ford and Dodge over GM because both employ solid front axles instead of the IFS that GM uses. What can I say, I'm a closet redneck retro grouch and I prefer solid axles for trucks. :p

I didn't realize PA was so polluted.

It's not really "pollution" in the classic sense, i.e., criteria pollutants such as NOx, SOx, PM10, CO. Those rankings were based on statewide CO2 emissions, not criteria pollutants. More populous states will tend to have higher statewide CO2 emissions. However, it is surprising that PA (12M) is third in CO2 emissions when NY (19M) and FL (18M) are quite a bit more populous. That shows that PA has substantially higher per-capita CO2 emissions, i.e., total statewide CO2 emissions divided by population, than do NY and FL. Similarly, TX (23M) has substantially higher per-capita CO2 emissions than does the more populated CA (36M), as evidenced by its higher total statewide CO2 emisssions.

Those trucks with 5-8k invested can make 700-800 trq to the wheels, they can be real beasts and still get mid to high 20s gas wise

Well the pre-2007 models can at least. The new ones all have a bunch of emissions crap on them tied into the ECU's so gains are now pretty limited, and the fuel economy is undetermined at this point. I have a friend with a Duramax and he officially hates ULSD fuel for it's crappy mileage.

Archived