LegacyGT.com

Interest study: If the factory radio did it all!

HighlineCA

somewhat interested but heres my situation...

already have a jazzy mod so im fine with the aux-in. my next step is to amp my speakers and possible add a sub. i was thinking of going with a JL clean sweep. can you tell me how the two compare? since the clean sweep costs less i see that as a better option unless you can convince me otherwise.

i could care less about weatherband since i dont know what it is.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
err, but the stock radio is defective...

They work just like any other radio. The features they lack make owners desire aftermarket units.

If anything, the factory radio will last as long as any radio on the market. I have a buddy with a 67 Mustang California edition and the factory radio works! lol imagine that.

We have parts on order to further testing. We'll have more information sometime in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

thats not what I meant. They are junk meaning they actually die. I have an 08 with a dead radio already. black outs, non functioning. That type of thing. So if this mod is done and your radio junks out, I guess that would mean your SOL?

Bad radio from the start.. has happened before.

This scenario would be exactly like an aftermarket. If you purchased an aftermarket, and it died, it would mean you are SOL as well.

Factory or aftermarket radios tend to have a similiar lifespan. User abuse is the number 1 contributor to radio failure. Our mod will not contribute to any failures. If the radio fails, it is due to the radio itself.

Rich @ HCA

One thing that would sell this to me, hands down, is the auto volume control, as they have now added to the '08 Impreza.

Can you guys do that ? please ?

Ugh. Really? When I rent a Ford or Genital Motors car, the first thing I do is to turn that OFF. That was a nifty feature in a '57 Corvette, but today's cars are quiet enough (even with the sunroof open) at cruise that I really think that it is a senseless feature. The radio is either inaudable when stopped or too loud at 50 mph. Sometimes it's both.

-- Steve

Ugh. Really? When I rent a Ford or Genital Motors car, the first thing I do is to turn that OFF. That was a nifty feature in a '57 Corvette, but today's cars are quiet enough (even with the sunroof open) at cruise that I really think that it is a senseless feature. The radio is either inaudable when stopped or too loud at 50 mph. Sometimes it's both.

-- Steve

Your car might be quiet, but mine isn't :lol:

I am very interested in this project as well! I did have a few questions about this.

It's been mentioned earlier, but are you able to do linear volume increase? I think it would defeat the purpose of adding the line outs and other things if we are still at the mercy of the stock EQ.

Even if this project continues, will you still be working on the customized radio/hvac bezel? I think that would be an awesome alternative for a lot of people that still don't want the stock radio :)

Auto volume control & steering wheel control adjustment: Ill talk it over with Erik to see if that is even possible. Chances are good it wouldnt be worth the time or effort.. unless everyone that wants the modded factory radio to come with it (or an option).

Outputs: If it can be done our way, yes, it will not have any type of freq reduction while turning the radio up. No we will not be offering any DSP circuits.. just wouldnt make sense. Our output circuit will be simple, pre-xovered, and have a 4v output. The factory amp will never get the signal, therefore has nothing to do with end output.

When we get the factory radio to do what we want, yes, we will offer both the factory upgrade and bezel/hvac mod. We want to provide all LGT/OB owners the ability to improve their sound, whether factory radio or not, with the least amout of complication possible.

Parts will be here anyday. Testing will continue!

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

I dont know if this should go in this thread or not, but how big of a LCD touchscreen do you think you could fit in there? Anything bigger than a standard double din hole?

Thinking about this for the CarPC guys who might want a nice 7 or 8 inch screen, this might be worth it vs trying to hack the stock cubby. Obviously this would get rid of the stock radio all together so you would need a way to pipe the CarPC audio to the speakers and all that.. but thats possible. Or I guess you could leave the workings of the stock stereo there and still use the planned input/output.. and use a remote volume control knob. Hmmm.

Yes! - We can mold in any screen that will physically fit. I have not personally seen an 8" screen, but there is plenty of 7" and 9" touchscreens out there for Carputers. We can also build the computer as well.

We got a lot of questions of more electrical mods that would be of interest to the LGT crowd. We would love to make these for you all but lack one thing: no LGT. We do not have a test vehicle. With one, these mods would hit the forum FAST. As much as we would like one, we simply cannot afford a new vehicle.

So if you got a LGT in CO and would like to help in our testing and development, please PM, call, text, or stop by.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Just called you. ;)

That's great. I suggested a project which was floating already on the forum but was never implemented.... Rich could do it if gets access to an LGT. I guess that's something our member should be able to help with!

Yes indeed.. enthusiast has given us the ability to test on his LGT. So now the only thing we are up against is time and development.

enthusiast - I will call you when we are ready to test. Maybe I should have called you yesterday.. Erik decided to dig through the electronics first and soak up the info before we even test on your LGT.

New facts:

Weatherband - Further digging proved that the USDM radios do not have the Weatherband enabled radio board. The mode is there, and does switch over like it is supposed to. Therefore, the WB does not work in USDM radios. In our case, we will use it for:

Aux-in - We have found the Weatherband inputs and will implement our Aux-in into that. The screen shows up WB and operates flawlessly. Switching sources causes no pop nor does it generate any ground loop noise (tested on our bench, will test in vehicle soon).

Still working on the output circuitry.

Thats all for now. Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Archived