LegacyGT.com

Interest study: If the factory radio did it all!

HighlineCA

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subscribed.

I have been debating the 360.2 or DQL-8 (to maintain tunability and signal strength) OEM converters vs an overpriced single din conversion in the cubby, useless steering wheel controls, a redundant radio and a unit that has bad glare and screams theft (NO!), but it seems we may have a new entry...

-Will it work on an '08, unlike everything else out there?

-Since you'll use old cores, how long will the turn-around time be if I were to overnight/2-day my console to you from Arlington, VA?

-Please keep them full range, as it maintains versatility. 3 or 4-way Xover is in the mix regardless, plus many new amps have their own adjustable crossovers.

-Now if you had ADJUSTABLE F/R/Sub frequency control from the screen, like the Excelon series, that would be nice too, but may be stretching it for the target price. Will there be customization add-on's done with minimal additional install time?

Thanks

We havent settled on which output circuit we want to use. We have been thinking about a 4v/6ch circuit. Its making it fit in the radio that is the challenge.

Yes it will work on an 08.

We will try to get them in and out in less than 3 days.

It will be full range. All 6 channels.

There is no inexpensive way to integrate with the factory controls/screens.

Still in the works. Havent had much time to tinker with the project. Will inform everyone when it is available.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Sorry for the dumb question but where is the "6 channels" coming from? Are you talking about splitting off the front tweeters from the midrange? Or is this a set of sub outs that simply are a copy of the front/rear channels? AFAIK the stock deck only outputs 4 channels.

Thats exactly what we are working on.

Basically, we are going to the output source, from the master volume circuit and directly outputing to a high powered circuit, that will allow 6ch's of pre-outs. Being that we have decided with majority, they will be full range. Our circuit will be off the master volume circuit, thus eliminating the factory EQ and its limiting capabilities. (this so far is a theory. We havent cracked the volume circuit just yet)

You are thinking the power output from the radio, which is 4ch. Our upgrade will give you 6ch pre-outs for amplifiers.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

So are these channels going to be fadeable/balanceable with the audio controls then. What I am getting at is are we talking about 3 copies of the same 2 channels here or are you tieing off from, say, the rears for the "sub" channels? Or are the "sub" channels not going to be fadeable?

Main reason I ask is I was planning to pass the standard 4 channels back to my amps. The main amp will have a passthrough to the sub amp. I gues having the extra pair of channels would make this passthrough not needed for other installs.

Just curious but have you guys seen this: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50818&d=1206955973

It is from this thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67018 where they are trying to get an aftermarket nav unit to work with the OEM screen. What I am concerned about is it appears that the nav voice is "injected" after the volume control circuit just before equalization.

Zimm - Thats a very good question, and we thought about it for a bit already. We might just make it 1/2, front/rears. It will retain normal Balance.

That diagram is interesting. I dont believe we have this one yet, so Thanks! In the case of users with factory nav, we will figure a way to retain it. Looks like the navi outputs 1.2v. We could build a simple powered navi/Bluetooth speaker externally, so the navi voice is seperate and doesnt get amplified too lol.

I will bring this diagram to Erik.

Thanks again!

Rich @ HCA

Don't mean to be a pest or anything but have you guys seen the diagrams in this post? http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51886&highlight=stereo+diagram

That seems to have all the circuit diagrams as well as block diagrams for the '05 radios. I am not sure if the '07's are different but it may help.

Again, thanks for all the effort on this. I eagerly await your results :D

Zimm - Thats a very good question, and we thought about it for a bit already. We might just make it 1/2, front/rears. It will retain normal Balance.

That diagram is interesting. I dont believe we have this one yet, so Thanks! In the case of users with factory nav, we will figure a way to retain it. Looks like the navi outputs 1.2v. We could build a simple powered navi/Bluetooth speaker externally, so the navi voice is seperate and doesnt get amplified too lol.

I will bring this diagram to Erik.

Thanks again!

Rich @ HCA

I am a stock Nav owner here and as you know im planning on getting this done to my deck, good this came up now...

Zimm - Yes Erik has seen it. Turns out Erik has downloaded all the vaca pics and has went in depth on all audio projects on LGT.com. I didnt know he had all the diagrams already.

CT - Oh yes. we talked about it months ago, and already knew those that have nav would need to keep it. So yes, your nav is still your nav :)

Thanks!

Rich @ HCA

FYI - Weatherband is a definate NO. We found out that out months ago (it should be posted here a few pages back). Turns out we do no have the radio tuner capable of receiving WB signals. In our case, we will use the WB to our advantage and inject an aux source into it (not final, but the route we are planning).

Aux is a must!

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Hey Rich, spoke with you on the phone.

Like I said, count me in for a mod. I need a P204-UH with 2 Line level outs. Pre-modified or kit, I'm ok with. I will be doing one of them I think.

Oh yeah, if you have the vacation pictures of the P204-UH, that'd rock. (I can't find them, I just found the 05 ones)

Also, you mentioned the IC for the volume limiter. If you can send me details on that, I may look at the output in my lab when I have time.

Thanks

Ok, this update warrants a new post.

I have an 07 radio, so this may not help me. On the P203-UH head unit, which I believe was from 2006, I found the line level area.

Taping a pin on C75 gets you FL. Pin on C92 gets you RL. Pin on C16 gets you FR. Pin on C32 gets you RR. The pin you would want to select would be closest to IC206. For GND, any suitable close by will do.

I'm going to look at my 07 Radio, and hopefully figure it out there, as the PCB may be different.

Based on the schematic, for the 06 radio, those 4 points will get you a pre-amp out with ZERO factory equalization. if you use all four, you will have front to back fader control and balance control.

There is no sub mix. They use a VERY crude method to get the subwoofer channel. I would recommend removing R237, R238, R239, and R240. This would help with audio quality.

If you have any questions, I'll keep in here. Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, in the spirit of the factory radio, I think there's a chance I can save the 6CD changer from a life of sitting in my dashboard with no use.

I have an aftermarket radio in the cubby. My aftermarket radio has digital and analog inputs.

I think I may have found the digital output of the CD player on on the PCB. I'm going to solder up a connection later today to see if I can get digital audio output there. If nothing else, I should easily be able to hijack the analog audio signal, but I want digital, as the D/A on the Eclipse radio I have is pretty good.

I'll post results once I've tried.

FYI - Weatherband is a definate NO. We found out that out months ago (it should be posted here a few pages back). Turns out we do no have the radio tuner capable of receiving WB signals. In our case, we will use the WB to our advantage and inject an aux source into it (not final, but the route we are planning).

Aux is a must!

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Rich,

Any update on this?

Archived