LegacyGT.com

Interest study: If the factory radio did it all!

HighlineCA

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm interested, but I also have an off topic question. Could you possibly post a pic, or tell me if you already know... as to whether or not you can just drop in the subaru automatic HVAC controlls into one of the basic Subaru models? Most of the controlls are electric with the exception of the one that changes the temperature. If it would be possible to do this, I'd be onboard for a Suby stereo W/ outputs and an aux in.

Stereo! Are current available Aux inputs mono?

basmoq - Yes.. but it not remotely affordable or worth it. Everything mechanical need to be replaced with powered servos, all the wiring will need to be added to the car (no it is not there) and all the control modules. Plus the bezel itself. It would easily cost $2k for parts and another $2k for install. Chances are, it will run you over $5k completed. In the end, sell yours and buy a LGT if you want dual climate.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Having read through everything, it seems you are working on pre '08 cars?

Since the '08 has the AUX in and MP3/WMA, volume levels that lock from function to function..... my only need is pre-amps.... is there any way you could find out if it's possible?

I won't be able to do this for a few months anyway, I was just about to just go straight for the factory sub, but if you can provide pre-amp outputs I would be interested in molding a sub.....

I really don't care about adjustable outputs, as I seldom used it on my last stereo. (except when the wife was afraid in bad neighborhoods :lol:)

Are you sure were talking about the same car? On the 08, the only portion that would need a servo added is the temperature controll, everything else on the system is already electronically controlled.

It kind of sucks if they are that different, I was able to do the mod in my old camry... Just dropped in the controll module and I was set.

oh me me me!!!! That is EXACTLY what I want. The RCAs for front rear and Sub would make my life SOOO much easier. Put me on the list for an aux in and 3 RCAs out. This is more in my price range and is exactly what I want. I have the Spec.B with the MP3 head unit but I dont see why the amplification or anything else would be any different. You totally honestly just made my day. Let me know when you start taking orders...

I think I would be interested in some RCA's for the front and rear. I am not sure how useful the sub out would be as there will be no independant control of it in the HU, correct? I can configure the X-over and gain at the amp just as well with a full range signal.

What would be the possibility of having the faceplate painted black (like what you have been doing in the GB)? I think that would look absolutly killer.

Yes but any amp worth getting will have a pass through for the signal. I know my JL does. Bottom line, I wouldn't want to be limited to whatever the settings in the HU (non adjustable) were in terms of x-over and gain.

Basically what I would want is some good, clean outputs for all four channels. I can let the amps do what they do best and clean up the signal from there.

Yes but any amp worth getting will have a pass through for the signal. I know my JL does. Bottom line, I wouldn't want to be limited to whatever the settings in the HU (non adjustable) were in terms of x-over and gain.

Basically what I would want is some good, clean outputs for all four channels. I can let the amps do what they do best and clean up the signal from there.

true

basmoq - That would be the jist of it, noone is really sure. Judging by how most Auto vs slider systems are, we dont think it will be that simple. Certainly you can try though. Start by looking up the electrical diagrams of both systems and see what you are lacking.

tdoggydog - It is possible with an external Bluetooth unit. There is a phone input inside the unit and can be used to automatically flip the radio into CALL mode and mute the radio. It would then play through the speakers.

Zimm - There would be external control! We were going to outboard a sub volume knob with a pigtail so you may install the knob wherever you wish. In the HU itself, no there wouldnt be any sub control. The pre-xovered chip we plan to use will work out pretty well. We were thinking 80hz up for the front/rear and 80hz down for sub. If those would rather have full range signals, we can do that as well. Those interested need to determine if they rather have full range signals vs pre-xovered so we can continue developing the chip we need. Chances are we will only offer one or the other (and chances are most will want full range). Yes we can paint the bezel black! It'll be an option for those diggin the Blackie.

It works out well to have the radio pre-xover the signal before the amp. There would be no loss in signal. We are determined to embed a 4v, no loss output circuit. We would bypass the radios' internal EQ and have full range sound all the way through the volume control.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

Cool, thanks for the info. As I said, I think I would be interested in the ful range outputs only. The fixed x-over is what bothers me, if I get everything set up and find that a higher or lower x-over point is needed I would be SOL. Almost every amp I have seen has the ability to process the signal and do I would need and they would be adjustable. Worst case you can also get an external signal splitter/processor to split up the signal.

As to the black bezel, that would be SWEET! Those ones you have done in the GB are beautiful!

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Jason

Zimm - There would be external control! We were going to outboard a sub volume knob with a pigtail so you may install the knob wherever you wish. In the HU itself, no there wouldnt be any sub control. The pre-xovered chip we plan to use will work out pretty well. We were thinking 80hz up for the front/rear and 80hz down for sub. If those would rather have full range signals, we can do that as well. Those interested need to determine if they rather have full range signals vs pre-xovered so we can continue developing the chip we need. Chances are we will only offer one or the other (and chances are most will want full range). Yes we can paint the bezel black! It'll be an option for those diggin the Blackie.

It works out well to have the radio pre-xover the signal before the amp. There would be no loss in signal. We are determined to embed a 4v, no loss output circuit. We would bypass the radios' internal EQ and have full range sound all the way through the volume control.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

you said you can tap into the volume dim for a bluetooth etc through speakers, dont some radar detectors have an audio jack that can be plugged into something. any chance of a jack that we could plug somthing like that into that would tap into the speakers?

Yes - There is a phone input that is not used and doesnt have any pins to tap to. A connector needs to be soldered inside but can be mounted on the back of the unit (such as a mini-jack in your case). You can have any connector you want.

We are still working on the radio. It'll take more time to perfect the features we want to offer. We'll keep everyone informed as to when the mod will be available and updates on this and other requested mods.

Thanks,

Rich @ HCA

thanks Im interested ill be waiting to start my stereo work till I get the 100% confirm on the availability of RCAs because thats definatly the way to go.

one other question, with this setup will you be completely removing the signal to the built in amp or if wished could we return it to stock and run the internal amp via not the RCAs?

that would be a good option even if it was a small switch on the back of the deck that would allow you to run stock setup, or bypass and only use RCAs. You know what I mean?

I saw that there is a question about support for steering wheel controls. The 05 decks support the wheel controls on later models, you just have to acquire the wheel and wire it up to the back of the radio. So, as long as that part of the factory radio is not removed it should still work, no?

Archived