LegacyGT.com

Why you guys picked legacy over other brands?

After many months of comparing ALL wagons on the market....the Subaru Legacy Limited (with LEATHER) was by far the most competitive price point and feature equipped deal out there.

Volvo, Saab and most other mid-sized wagons were at least $2K more. Heck even the Outback with leather cost about $3K more than the Legacy.

So I'm happy I snatched one of the last 07 Legacy wagons when I did. Saved a lot of cash.

Add: Yes I think Subaru is much more mechanically reliable than the German or Swedish wagons. The only drawback is in the interior...but you do a few upgrades (audio, lighting, boots) for much less than the cost of these other wagons.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I traded in my Trans Am and my 1990 new yorker for this car. If i was getting rid of a mid 12 second car for a reliable safe daily driver, i needed to to have some kick. It wasnt the 250hp i was interested in it was the 250 ftlbs of torque, and large gains are made with minor mods

Ever driven a "GTO" around a bend? At speed? How bout in the snow?

As for the "GTO" style wise, its all in your taste. I think visually the cars are about equal, however as a "GTO" (note the use of "") the style is shit, absolute shit. GM defaced the GTO name by bringing the Monaro here and rebadging it as a GTO. It is not, I repeat, not a GTO and is disgraceful. It is a good car though for what its designed for, straight line speed and making the rear tires disappear into smoke.

As for why I bought my Legacy, well its because I drove it before purchasing it. Its like the Cadillac commercial says, when you turn your car on, does it return the favor? I always answer yes to that question

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

The GTo handles good, i have driven many, the arent liek camaros or trans ams, the have IRS suspension not live axle. The handleing isnt bad at all. As for the look, yes it wasnt that great, my T/A was a far better loooking car. But it can handle and run 12s in bone stock fashion. As for snow who drives any year of GTO in the snow, noone, the GTO has the same suspension as the CTS-V, same motor and tranny aswell, its basically the same car other than the looks and interior. Bolt on ls2s have made 370-380rwhp without even opening a valve cover.

What if you have the NON-turbo 2.5? I would like a little better acceleration.

K & N high flow air filter make much of a difference?

I'd lurk around the POWERTRAIN->NA threads a bit. Some good info in there for I'm sure alot of your questions. That way we can keep this one on topic. :)

But to the OP -

I had a 4WD pickup (RIP) before the LGT, and I live in New England, so AWD of some sort was a must for me. So it was either a pickup truck again or some other AWD car. I immediately thought Subaru (that IS what they do) and actually the same day ended up seeing a guy with an 07 at a gas station. Turns out he was a salesman gassing it up for delivery. I ended up talking to him for a bit, and went in later that week and bought my 08.

This guy knew alot about the technology, and that's part of what sold me. Symmetrical AWD, VDC, TPMS, so many acronyms it was overwhelming. ;) But seriously, there's some good stuff in there. The same equipment would cost (like others said) $5000-15000 more on other brands like BMW, Audi, Etc (I too was looking at the x-drive BMW). So bang for the buck was definitely in Subaru's favor.

Then reliability was huge too. I know many a people who swear by Subaru's, have 2 or 3 of them, and have had them for 10+ years, often handing them down to siblings, or others in the family. No one I know was like: "yup, problems here and this went wrong", none of that. All I kept hearing was: "Change the oil and she'll run 200,000 miles!". Also like previously mentioned, Consumer Reports picked the LGT as a Best Buy.

Safety. I think the LGT is rated the safest sedan on the road if I'm correct. After a should-have-been-fatal accident in my pickup truck, I started taking this one a bit more seriously. Plus, being 25 years old, there is the possibility for kids in the future, so I'd be covered there in the event that one slipped by the goalie ;).

Styling - let's face it, the car is sexy! Everyone that sees me in it says "What's that... it's pretty... is it a lexus?..." or something like that. Nice body lines, sleek looks, frameless doors. The interior follows suit, being what many a reviewers have called "the nicest Subaru interior ever.".

Features - although it's missing maybe bluetooth, it's got most everything else. Leather, heated seates, mirrors, and windshield wipers. (I never heard of heated wipers before this). Directionals on the mirrors, folding rear seat, hidden trunk arms (so you don't hit your luggage trying to close the trunk), 6 Disc in dash, decent sound system.

The soul of the LGT - this thing is FUN! Handles like a dream, pretty quick especially for a 4-banger, easy and inexpensive to mod, lots of stuff you can do to it. The turbo - geez is this thing fun. You don't truly know what a turbo is like until you drive one.

The #1 Reason I got the LGT - When you turn your car on... does it return the favor? YES! My LGT Does!

(Damnit ACZ - I was typing this long ass post while you already slipped that in! ;))

Because I like cars that are unobtainium.

I was shopping four cars

2003-2004 VW Passat W8 Wagon with Manual/Sport Package (96 in the US)

Found one, it was sold out from under me

2002-2005 VW Passat V6 4motion wagon with a manual (under 6 in the US)

Nevr found one

2004-2005 Audi A4 3.0 quattro wagon with 6MT and certain option packages (rather uncommon, maybe ~1000 I'd want)

Only found one with reasonable price/miles -- owned by a bunch of scumbags+accident car

2005 Subaru Legacy GT un-limited wagon with a manual (rather rare, I don't know exact numbers)

Found a good one owner car that checked out at the price I wanted. (Also, it was faster than the above)

Then my second question. Everytime I try to explain to my family why subarus are good cars to get, its very hard to explain how. How would you explain it to a person that doesn't understand cars at all?

Thanks!

once again you show up your immaturity and your search for an "image".

its my car, my choice. i don't have to explain s**t to anybody.

The #1 Reason I got the LGT - When you turn your car on... does it return the favor? YES! My LGT Does!

(Damnit ACZ - I was typing this long ass post while you already slipped that in! ;))

;);););) I super ninja, but yeah I always say yes when that commercial comes on. Its true, my car does it for me

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Ever driven a "GTO" around a bend? At speed? How bout in the snow?

As for the "GTO" style wise, its all in your taste. I think visually the cars are about equal, however as a "GTO" (note the use of "") the style is shit, absolute shit. GM defaced the GTO name by bringing the Monaro here and rebadging it as a GTO. It is not, I repeat, not a GTO and is disgraceful. //

That's true. My brother's "real" GTO had drum brakes, bias ply tires, got 12 mpg on the highest octane fuel available, and required ether to start below freezing. The shapeless vinyl buckets required a seatbelt to counter the body roll. But it sounded coool and it sure would march!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I haven't bought mine yet, but the AWD + good choice of technology (boxer engine with its low center of gravity, symmetric AWD layout, EBD, etc.) puts this ahead of all my other choices and at a reasonable price point. Plus I was impressed with my friend's mid-90's legacy when we went out to the Great Smoky Mts. a few years back; it handled the mountainous terrain and switchbacks with surprising ease for an old car.

if I can do my pro/cons, even though I only discovered this car last week (my housemate from a former life had an SVX, which no doubt colors my opinion some):

I'm looking for a car with class-leading attributes in the curves and snow (especially snowy curves!), but is mild-mannered and drivable around town, with good long-term (~10yr) value, for under $40K.

The car I closest to my ideal is a fully loaded 335xi, but at $48K it's a bit steep and the long-term value proposition isn't there given Bavarian maintenance costs.

I've been waiting for the Evo X, but am not going to buy a first-year model, and the boy-racer look is a bit much (I could go for the same technology in a 3000GT-VR4 package though).

Audis have the same price and maintenance issues of BMW. The A3 is nice, but it isn't $40,000 nice. The S5 is very nice, but it's not $52K very nice.

The Volvo S40 T5 AWD comes in under $40,000 MSRP fully loaded. There's nothing bad I can say about this car, but the Spec.B beats this is the performance and looks department in most areas, for less, though.

There is one aspect that put the Legacy ahead of its competitors: Potential.

Stock, it's just average. You can get AWD in other cars and a manual trans wasn't a 100% requirement on a new car for me. If available, fine, if not, no biggie. It isn't particularly fast stock.

Then you look at the already-proven Subaru aftermarket. Virtually all of it is applicable to this car. You don't re-invent the wheel; you start modding when you feel like it. Whatever you desire, whatever you can afford, it's available for this car.

I've driven cars that were supposed to suck and loved them. I've driven cars that were supposed to be untouchable and hated them. Until I bought this car I'd never even considered a Subaru product. I've owned a half dozen turbo DSMs - the WRX held no interest for me by then. The STi was fast but not exactly what I was looking for in my 30s. If I was 21 it'd be the ticket for sure.

The Legacy is the mullet of automobiles -- business up front, party in the back. It looks like any other sedan on the outside and packs all the right goodies on the inside. That appeals to me. The fact that it could pack 400+ whp and still look like that is a huge draw.

I'll keep this car for quite a while. After 3 years and 16k miles, I've got a lot left to enjoy!

Archived