LegacyGT.com

Vf40 18g Vs 20g

frkkevin

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what amazes me, with all of these people bickering back and forth about which is better for which application and why, why the hell hasn't someone just put together canned turbo upgrades for people that want different stages.

example :

Daily Driver : 20G-AVO 420 - Complimenting components : aftermarket downpipe, up-pipe, tmic etc.

Auto-X : 18G-20G...... - etc, etc.

Drag Bitch : etc etc etc

I mean really, I'm surprised that no one has thought of this yet. And NO, I'm not putting it together it's just a suggestion.

Someone tried...it failed

Its all subjective thats why the bickering ;)

F that. Baseline mods w/ upcoming mods give way to cookie cutter roadmaps.

The only "subjective" part is whether or not the car the car is within normal spec of which we get the less than 3% stories on this board about shit blowing up or things breaking because of x,y,z mods they've done that are the same as others.

It's the car, the subjective card has been played to death.

Someone tried...it failed

Its all subjective thats why the bickering ;)

Agreed. What one guy considers perfectly fine for a daily driver, another guy will call a laggy b*tch :lol: We are all individuals with different tastes, you can't pigeon hole everything in to "stages"... BTW, I hate that term. It is ricer retarded...:p

F that. Baseline mods w/ upcoming mods give way to cookie cutter roadmaps.

The only "subjective" part is whether or not the car the car is within normal spec of which we get the less than 3% stories on this board about shit blowing up or things breaking because of x,y,z mods they've done that are the same as others.

It's the car, the subjective card has been played to death.

I wish you the best of luck in your adventure. I dont care to argue the point anymore. I have driven several upgraded turbo LGT's and I know what I would tolerate and not tolerate. I have seen motors and trans go when with some setups they don't.

Agreed. What one guy considers perfectly fine for a daily driver, another guy will call a laggy b*tch :lol: We are all individuals with different tastes, you can't pigeon hole everything in to "stages"... BTW, I hate that term. It is ricer retarded...:p

55lbs or bust :lol::lol:

I wish you the best of luck in your adventure. I dont care to argue the point anymore. I have driven several upgraded turbo LGT's and I know what I would tolerate and not tolerate. I have seen motors and trans go when with some setups they don't.

55lbs or bust :lol::lol:

14,000 posts and that's the best you can come up with.

You basically prove the point that each car is the subjective part and the mods only give a positive / negative effect based on the track record performance of said mod.

But you know, since I'm not really that big into modding the car past where it is from here on out, I'll just let you have your opinion and let the dead horse rest in peace. (apparently)

14,000 posts and that's the best you can come up with.

You basically prove the point that each car is the subjective part and the mods only give a positive / negative effect based on the track record performance of said mod.

But you know, since I'm not really that big into modding the car past where it is from here on out, I'll just let you have your opinion and let the dead horse rest in peace. (apparently)

What? The car and its mods are not subjective. The driver's impression of said modded car is indeed subjective.

ignore him, he'll go away.

IMHO a VF40-20g is not a good idea. That is a very asymmetrical turbo with a vastly oversized compressor. I am referring to a true 20g and preferably one that has a 20g compressor cover and not one of the bolt-on 20g where the aerodynamics of the compressor wheel are compromised by being crammed under a VF40 compressor cover.

4k RPM in 4th gear is 73 mph.

Has anyone ever ran a VF40-20G? I don't remember anyone with this turbo.

• 1 month later...
90% of people who go with a very mild upgrade turbo like a VF40-18g end up ditching it and going bigger. To me, it is a waste of time and money. I know that a few people out there are perfectly happy with a turbo that size, but far more often than not eventually it comes out of the car to be replaced with something capable of far more. For our 2.5L motors, the smallest turbo upgrade I usually suggest is a 20g.

id rather just go mild upgrade then to send 3k+ on a new tranny.

if that time comes i wanna spend 3-6k on a built auto, then so be it a bigger turbo.

wants sometimes don't line up with shoulds.

The 5EAT is a steaming pile of crap. That Jatco piece of crap is part of the reason why we sold our old Mazda6. Of course, being an idiot I go out and buy a Tribeca for my wife not knowing that the 5EAT is basically the same Jatco tranny. I've religiously changed the fluids and added a tranny cooler soon after purchase and that thing still shifts abruptly on occasion. The sport shift mode is slower than molasses. I like the old 4EAT in my Outback 2.5i waaaaay better.

Frankly, regardless of power level the 5EAT stinks and is seemingly liable to blow up prematurely. Most people with upgraded valve bodies seem to be getting decent service out of them with increased power, but regardless, don't think that it's going to last even if you dial down the power.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant. I'm just pissed at myself for buying another car addled with that piece of crap transmission :mad:

The 5EAT is a steaming pile of crap. That Jatco piece of crap is part of the reason why we sold our old Mazda6. Of course, being an idiot I go out and buy a Tribeca for my wife not knowing that the 5EAT is basically the same Jatco tranny. I've religiously changed the fluids and added a tranny cooler soon after purchase and that thing still shifts abruptly on occasion. The sport shift mode is slower than molasses. I like the old 4EAT in my Outback 2.5i waaaaay better.

Frankly, regardless of power level the 5EAT stinks and is seemingly liable to blow up prematurely. Most people with upgraded valve bodies seem to be getting decent service out of them with increased power, but regardless, don't think that it's going to last even if you dial down the power.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant. I'm just pissed at myself for buying another car addled with that piece of crap transmission :mad:

stock...i have zero issues with it. no clunking on cold days...nothing. shifts fine. holds the gear in s# like it should etc...you sure people just aren't brake torqueing the hell out of it? i think it suits well for a stock vehicle and you fairly can't call it crap because it doesn't hold what it wasn't engineered for.

i mainly want a little bit more power up to 7k. not a dyno queen that has its peak power at 5500 rpms.

i remember the 4eat from a rental legacy back in 03 or so. it shifted to second gear too early for no reason. that was annoying.

stock...i have zero issues with it. no clunking on cold days...nothing. shifts fine. holds the gear in s# like it should etc...you sure people just aren't brake torqueing the hell out of it? i think it suits well for a stock vehicle and you fairly can't call it crap because it doesn't hold what it wasn't engineered for.

i mainly want a little bit more power up to 7k. not a dyno queen that has its peak power at 5500 rpms.

i remember the 4eat from a rental legacy back in 03 or so. it shifted to second gear too early for no reason. that was annoying.

what do you mean by that? are you implying big turbo's aren't streetable :rolleyes:

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

isn't that the truth...

i still expect mine to die someday ;)

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Ummmm.... you do realize that the STOCK turbo sees it's peak power around 5500 rpm, right?;)

One good thing about the 5EAT is that the fairly high stall speed of the OEM torque converter really minimizes the sensation of lag. When you get on it, the converter allows the engine to spin up and load up so that spooling even fairly large upgrade turbos is no problem. Makes a big turbo more "driveable" than on a similar manual transmission car.

Archived