LegacyGT.com

Vf40 18g Vs 20g

frkkevin

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where would the VF22 and VF34 come in this discussion? I was told these are good for at least 300WHP and fast spool.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Where would the VF22 and VF34 come in this discussion? I was told these are good for at least 300WHP and fast spool.

The VF34 is basically the same size as a VF39 (stock STi turbo) but with a ball bearing center section. It spools maginally faster and can get you just above 300whp on pump gas. The VF22 is the largest IHI VF series turbo and will be good for about 15 whp more, but it will spool slower. It's roughly interchangeable with an 18g. I personally wouldn't bother with either unless you got a stupid good deal as they are hardly substantive upgrades over the stock turbo and will still spool a bit slower.

The VF34 is basically the same size as a VF39 (stock STi turbo) but with a ball bearing center section. It spools maginally faster and can get you just above 300whp on pump gas. The VF22 is the largest IHI VF series turbo and will be good for about 15 whp more, but it will spool slower. It's roughly interchangeable with an 18g. I personally wouldn't bother with either unless you got a stupid good deal as they are hardly substantive upgrades over the stock turbo and will still spool a bit slower.

<?Flame _On>

{

40bb == Problem Solved
:p
;

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

What would you call a good deal? Under $500?

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Sorry, I'm really only familiar with the Garrett turbos that are used in performance applications. Trust me, I looked at the compressor map of that turbo... you DO NOT want it. Also told you the same thing in response to your PM.

What would you call a good deal? Under $500?

Under $500 is pretty cheap. Won't be a huge upgrade from stock, but then again for the money you can't really complain. Then again, if your ultimate goal is to make 400whp, or even 350whp, then why bother wasting money on a turbo that can't get you to where you want to be. If you'll be happy with just a bit over 300whp go for a VF22.

Under $500 is pretty cheap. Won't be a huge upgrade from stock, but then again for the money you can't really complain. Then again, if your ultimate goal is to make 400whp, or even 350whp, then why bother wasting money on a turbo that can't get you to where you want to be. If you'll be happy with just a bit over 300whp go for a VF22.

So is there any good 20g turbo out there that will bolt right up? Do you not like the deadbolt ones?

So far I found VF22 for $500 ship, a deadbolt 18g for $550, and a VF 34 for $570. I think 300whp is a nice round number and should be good for a daily driver. I just want to have a stop point on my car. I still have a '64 ponitac Grand Prix w/tri-power and built 400 and a '56 Ford F-100 PU w/ built 327 that I need to finish. So would any of these be a good choice?

So is there any good 20g turbo out there that will bolt right up? Do you not like the deadbolt ones?

Td05-20g is 1050 shipped from blouchturbo i made 330wtq 322whp w/ very good overall spool.

td06-20g from blouch is 1175 same w/ fp's.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

So far I found VF22 for $500 ship, a deadbolt 18g for $550, and a VF 34 for $570. I think 300whp is a nice round number and should be good for a daily driver. I just want to have a stop point on my car. I still have a '64 ponitac Grand Prix w/tri-power and built 400 and a '56 Ford F-100 PU w/ built 327 that I need to finish. So would any of these be a good choice?

I'd get the DB18G, lifetime rebuilds and its def worth the 50 over a vf22

Sorry, I'm really only familiar with the Garrett turbos that are used in performance applications. Trust me, I looked at the compressor map of that turbo... you DO NOT want it. Also told you the same thing in response to your PM.

+1

that GT3571 is a diesel turbo through and through;

easy ways to tell:

-huge exhaust section (1.18 A/R)

-vertical compressor map (it goes up to pr 3... thats 42psi)

Td05-20g is 1050 shipped from blouchturbo i made 330wtq 322whp w/ very good overall spool.

td06-20g from blouch is 1175 same w/ fp's.

Cost doesnt concern me but the car is never tracked and i like being pulled back in the seat from a 0-60 more then an 80-100....thats why i was lookin 20g....and i want somethign i can install myself thats why i was looking at deadbolt.....i also dont want to go any biggesr id because i have a TMIC and dont want to switch to a front mount.....

Cost doesnt concern me but the car is never tracked and i like being pulled back in the seat from a 0-60 more then an 80-100....thats why i was lookin 20g....and i want somethign i can install myself thats why i was looking at deadbolt.....i also dont want to go any biggesr id because i have a TMIC and dont want to switch to a front mount.....

Have I got a deal for you ;) Want some WI to go with that?

No one is mentioning anything about how the AVO turbos compare in all of this. Any thoughts? I'm happy with my Stage II for now and with less than 30K mi. on the car, I won't upgrade for a little while. Once I do, I was thinking of the AVO 380. How does this compare to the DB 18g and/or 20g? What about the AVO 420? I LOVE the quick spool with the stock vf40 at Stg.II but yeah, it does die out up top sooner than I'd like. If I could get close to 300hp, (at 262hp right now, but it was on PDX's old dyno jet so numbers are a bit high), and do it safely on stock fueling, I might just go with the 380...

Anyone want to drop some knowledge on me?

The whole point is that there is not one perfect turbo. The use needs to be considered. What the Legacy really needs is a lot more displacement :)

You have such great ideas. All the legacy needs is shorter exhaust manifolds, i.e. twin turbos, and direct injection. Torque, Torque, Torque.

No one is mentioning anything about how the AVO turbos compare in all of this. Any thoughts? I'm happy with my Stage II for now and with less than 30K mi. on the car, I won't upgrade for a little while. Once I do, I was thinking of the AVO 380. How does this compare to the DB 18g and/or 20g? What about the AVO 420? I LOVE the quick spool with the stock vf40 at Stg.II but yeah, it does die out up top sooner than I'd like. If I could get close to 300hp, (at 262hp right now, but it was on PDX's old dyno jet so numbers are a bit high), and do it safely on stock fueling, I might just go with the 380...

Anyone want to drop some knowledge on me?

AVO380 spools roughly the same as a VF40-18g, power wise will be a little less then 20g, but more then an 18g.

AVO420 should be the same as a 20g, maybe spool will be better, but I doubt it would be noticeable. BB might help a bit with transient response.

Archived