LegacyGT.com

One of those threads...Which would you buy - CPO BMW 335i 6-spd or new LGT 5-speed

Hey all,

I know this is "one of those threads". I'm discussing one of my thoughts on a BMW forum, and actually getting alot of good feedback. I thought I'd throw it on here, to see what people said.

My wife and I won't be making a purchase for 6 months to a year, but we really enjoy the LGT and have found it offered for ~25k new (of course, no guarantee it'll stay that way...).

I've driven the BMW 335 and it is one of the most impressive vehicles I've had the pleasure of driving.

When it comes time to make a purchase, we may have the choice between a new LGT for ~25-26k or a CPO BMW 335i 6-speed sedan (sport/premium/cold weather package assumptions) w/ lets say 20k miles for sale around 34-35k. Lets say 35k including a full maintenance package to 100,000 miles that covers every maintenance item (including clutch and brakes, fluid changes, 60k service, etc.).

There is a 10k difference between these two cars, and alot of other things, but both are fun sedans available with good manual transmissions, turbocharged power (for long-term satisfaction with easy tuning), comparable fuel economy, functionality with fold-down rear seats, and decent reliability.

Of course, there is a 10k difference between the two, but there are features and niceties you get for that money that MAY justify the cost to some.

Which would you buy, and why? Any thoughts are appreciated, as this way I'll get a nice balance of LGT owner responses

Joe

P.s. In the Subie, I'd keep all-seasons. In the BMW, I'd buy winter wheels/tires. I'm a member of the BMWCCA, which means I'll get a $500 check from BMW after the purchase that could go to the purchase of those winter/wheels tires.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2008 LGT (new)...in case you didn't read, the BMW would be CPO (6 years, 100,000 miles...reasonable since we would drive it 15k miles per year). No maintenance other than tires for that timeframe as well...no worries about clutch or brakes either.

If you are unsure of what amenities differ, let me know and I can list it out as well.

Joe

You would definitely not want to keep the all seasons that come stock on the lgt if you have a decent amount of snow.

Obviously the price difference is key, we're talking about 10k. You are comparing apples to oranges if you ask me. If you put 10k into your lgt it would blow the doors off the bmw. But the interior will never be as nice, the lgts interior is no slouch, very elegant, but bmw is a different class of car, just much more refined. I love the way bmw's hook up when you drive them, just feels really precise. If I had the money I would have bought the bmw 335. Twin turbo bmw sounds like a great time to me. But that car brand new runs for what low 50's? You are comparing a car that is twice the sticker price as the lgt.

I just don't really think you can compare the two, for the money. I don't think you can get a better car than the lgt, that is practical(awd, sedan, easily seat 4 people), powerful, and reliable. That was my rationale for buying it. If i could have bought a luxury sedan I would have.

Well, I have to say, I have an '07 Spec. B, and if I had it to do over again knowing what I know now, I probably would have waited a few months and gone with the 335xi. The only issue I'd have would be the completely nonsensical maintenance cost of BMWs, but they have a pretty good maintenance program now. Bottom line, if you don't cringe at the price difference, I'd say get the Bimmer.

Hmmm my personal opion is that you would be happier with the LGT but again it comes down to taste.

When it comes to the cost comparision I'd say go with the LGT hands down. 10K is a lot of cash for IMO not much more of a car. Granted you get ammenities with the BMW that the LGT does not have but is it really worth 10K more?

I have not owned a BMW so I can't speak to the quality, handling, experience of it etc. However I have owned several Legacys and I can say they are great cars. With the LGT you not only get a nice car with goop power that is easily upgradeable but you also get a car that will last for a long, long time.

Like I siad though it all comes down to personal taste. If you really like the BMW and think the extra 10K is worth it then go for it. Personally I would never spend that much on car even if I was a millionare. Are BMW's nice cars? Yes but IMO I don't think they warrant the price they are sold for. I think with BMW you are paying a lot for name.

Hi guys,

335i Sedan, not coupe. I would keep "all-seasons" on the LGT, not THE all-seasons. When they wore out (or got to the point I couldn't stand them) I'd throw on a set of high-quality, newer-design UHP all-seasons. My point was, I wouldn't be using summertires/winter tires on the LGT due to AWD and PA not really having severe winters.

Tommy - As you say, the price difference is key. And this isn't a comparison. It's more of a value-equation.

I'm gonna list out some differences, because it's an analysis of "what's worth it to you".

Engine: Max torque at 1400 rpms (300 lb/ft) till 5000 rpms. Greater fuel economy. Smoother (inline six). 300 hp. In RWD format, has reliably been timed to sub 5.0 second 0-60s and mid 13 quarter miles

Trans/Shifter/Clutch: 6-speeds and fat ratios allowing lots of in-gear time. Gobs of torque at any engine speed mean you can drive it from just about any gear, any speed. Alot of comp tests report being able to do a 1st to 6th shift without complaint from the engine, and with the car just pulling on up.

Differences in amenities: auto up/down on all windows, adaptive xenon headlights, 4-way power lumbar, adjustable side bolster and thigh support, better stereo, auxiliary power (i.e. retained power), DSC (I wouldn't get this on the LGT as it would be a 5-speed), memory seats tied to key (nice for the wife and I), bluetooth

I won't argue the positives and negatives of AWD vs RWD. They're both great for their own reasons.

There are other things that I would add to help increase value of the BMW, such as 50/50 weight balance, a more refined ride/interior, and things I would add against it such as inferior storage nooks (LGT has better cupholders/interior storage as a whole).

As I was stating in the BMW forum, I'm kind of asking myself "What's it all worth". It comes out to, realistically, about $200 more a month. For that, I would get the above differences, and ~80k miles of warranty and maintenance coverage as well as some increased resale/residual value.

I'm not saying it's worth it. I'm just looking for thoughts from owners on both sides :)

Thanks for the thoughts thus far!

Joe

Considering it, yes. Lets say in 6 months I'm looking at a 2007 BMW 335 Sedan at the price and equipment level I named (and 20k miles on it) vs a brand new 2008 Legacy GT 5-speed with nothing additional on it upon purchase.

It's kind of like: I'm not made of money, but I would be able to swing the difference. I could use the money better in other places, sure, but when doesn't that apply? Are the differences worth it?

Hence, I'm throwing it to LGT owners here (and BMW owners elsewhere) to see what they think given their personal experiences with the car(s) in question.

Joe

Depends on if you can afford it. If you can buy the 335i and not have it hurt your pocketbook, by all means do it. It's certainly a better overall car.

This should really be a personal financial decision for you, not asking us which car is nicer.

Depends on if you can afford it. If you can buy the 335i and not have it hurt your pocketbook, by all means do it. It's certainly a better overall car.

This should really be a personal financial decision for you, not asking us which car is nicer.

:rolleyes:

I had to insert some rolly-eyes....I'm not asking you to make my personal financial decisions, I'm asking you to consider the two as a "what if I had to make this choice, and balance the cost/benefit, and aftering owning and experiencing an LGT I would do this..."

One of the guys on the BMW forum said something foolish as well, saying "Why do young cars throw money out the window in the pursuit of perceived status"...something to that effect.

I told him, 'If I cared about status, I'd lease a base 328i with an automatic"

This is purely about the balance between the joy of driving and the experiences within it and fiscal responsibility.

Joe

Sure. To give a little context though, I provided alot more personal background information there when asking my question, so there are more replies touching on personal aspects:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247651

To sum it up for you though, most people responded "get the Subaru" or "be fiscally responsible". I think the mindset is, and not in a bad way, "if you have to ask about money, don't buy a BMW".

In a way, both forums are really enjoyable. Alot of really knowledgable car people on both willing to share their thoughts, experiences, knowledge with just about anyone...missed in with a few nuts :)

Joe

Well my personal opion is I would go with the LGT.

The reason I would go with the LGT is

1 Its cheaper.

2 While the BMW has some more or nicer ammenities its not enough to make worth the money.

3 AWD (I know your not looking at that but it would be a factor to me)

4 Rarity - LGT's are less common than BMW's at least in my area and I like having a car that is less common than others on the road. Espeicaly when ppl ask "whats that its nice"

5 easy to upgrade/work on not sure about the BMW as I don't have experience but I have heard they are harder to upgrade/work on. LGT's are very easy to work on/upgrade

So all in all I think BMW makes a nice car but its not worth it to me.

I would buy the BMW under the following conditions:

-Have a tinker car so I wouldn't be tempted to mod it.

-Go with a full maintenance/extended warranty program that covers everything.

I'd buy the LGT under the following conditions:

-Plan on keeping the car for a long (greater than 6 years/100K)

-Bitten by the mod bug

I chose the LGT over the German competition a few years ago for a number of reasons. Initial cost was one, but the bigger ones to me were long-term costs of both modding/maintenance/repairs/insurance were much higher for the Germans. The cost difference new in my situation was just part of the story. That and I don't care about interior luxury items all that much.

I think the biggest two questions you need to ask yourself is how long do you really plan on keeping the car, and can you keep the mod bug in check.

Hey all,

I know this is "one of those threads". I'm discussing one of my thoughts on a BMW forum, and actually getting alot of good feedback. I thought I'd throw it on here, to see what people said.

My wife and I won't be making a purchase for 6 months to a year, but we really enjoy the LGT and have found it offered for ~25k new (of course, no guarantee it'll stay that way...).

I've driven the BMW 335 and it is one of the most impressive vehicles I've had the pleasure of driving.

When it comes time to make a purchase, we may have the choice between a new LGT for ~25-26k or a CPO BMW 335i 6-speed sedan (sport/premium/cold weather package assumptions) w/ lets say 20k miles for sale around 34-35k. Lets say 35k including a full maintenance package to 100,000 miles that covers every maintenance item (including clutch and brakes, fluid changes, 60k service, etc.).

There is a 10k difference between these two cars, and alot of other things, but both are fun sedans available with good manual transmissions, turbocharged power (for long-term satisfaction with easy tuning), comparable fuel economy, functionality with fold-down rear seats, and decent reliability.

Of course, there is a 10k difference between the two, but there are features and niceties you get for that money that MAY justify the cost to some.

Which would you buy, and why? Any thoughts are appreciated, as this way I'll get a nice balance of LGT owner responses

Joe

P.s. In the Subie, I'd keep all-seasons. In the BMW, I'd buy winter wheels/tires. I'm a member of the BMWCCA, which means I'll get a $500 check from BMW after the purchase that could go to the purchase of those winter/wheels tires.

A lightly used Spec.B. Great bang for your buck because even most LGT owners hate them though not for any good reason. :p

Well by looks of the BMW forum the majority think you should buy the lgt and so do we. But you seem to have made up your mind and have decided to go with the BMW of course it is up to you and it is your money and your choice so good luck trying to pesuade the wife:lol: and hope you enjoy the car. But i think you better get used to people muttering words under there breath when you drive by them. lol:p

You should treat yourself and buy the nicer car (BMW) only if all items on the following list are true. Otherwise, you would be spending more than you need to spend to have a car that you will be satisfied with driving daily. If I would be happy with a Camry or something even less fun, I'd be driving it.

When I say "you" in the list, I mean you and your wife.

- Your home will be paid off before you're ___ years old

- All of your personal credit cards and consumer loans are paid off

- At your current investment pace, you will have enough money to retire at ___years old

- Your kids' college funds will be ready by their high school graduations, if applicable

- You already have all the gadgets you want (hi-def tv's, blu-ray)

- You already have all the toys you want (ATV, boat, RC plane)

- You have enough money to take at least one nice, long family vacation per year

- You don't have any home improvements that you really want to make

Just don't spend it if you ain't got it!

As I was stating in the BMW forum, I'm kind of asking myself "What's it all worth". It comes out to, realistically, about $200 more a month. For that, I would get the above differences, and ~80k miles of warranty and maintenance coverage as well as some increased resale/residual value.

Realistically this is how it will break down for you:

The resale value of the LGT after 4 years will be ~$15k, the 335i will be ~$23k according to Edmunds True Cost to Own. So from absolute dollars point of view the depreciation for the '08 LGT is $10k and for the used '07 335i is $12k.

I looked up the BUW CPO. It's 4 years 50k miles bumper to bumper and then 2 years 50k miles coverage for major components from the original service date. So if you drive 15k miles a year like you said, what you will be getting is 2 years 30k bumper to bumper then another 2 years 30k major component coverage. At 15k miles a year the Subaru's warranty will be about ~2.5 year 36k miles bumper to bumper and ~1.5 year 24k miles of powertrain. IMHO, the BMW's coverage is slightly better but not by much.

Maintenance cost is where your saving is. BMW's maintenance plan covers brake pads/rotors, engine belts, oil change, wiper blades and fluids. At the end of the program the car would have 80k miles (60k of which in your ownership), which means you will replace the brake pads and resurface the rotors once, belts won't need to be changed, about 4 oil changes (15k miles OCI per BMW schedule), 4 sets of wipers and flush coolant once.

So the real question you gotta ask yourself is if the additional features plus the maintenance I listed above worth $12k or $3k a year to you?

Archived