LegacyGT.com

One of those threads...Which would you buy - CPO BMW 335i 6-spd or new LGT 5-speed

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ummm... yeah two pages ago.... or visit Automobile Magazine. That's where I found the numbers at....

Actually, the numbers for this type of acceleration for 335i has been consistent across all mags.

Err... how would an LSD help 30-70 mph test?

Favorite Jeremy Clarkson Quote on the 335'er:

^ :lol:

The only thing the 335 clearly has on the Spec.B is screaming down the autobahn. Otherwise, they're pretty comparable in most other performance areas except bad roads and/or conditions. The Spec.B is probably one of if not the best OEM all weather cars in the world.

I recently realized that I'm getting spoiled by the Spec. I just completed a road trip and there were winter storm and ice storm warnings. I was looking forward to it! It hit me that when I had my former venerable J30t (and I had driven that tail happy car through some bad shiit many times), I would be seriously concerned about such weather. With the Spec. I was actually hoping for bad conditions.:p:) None of the forecasts panned out for me this time. :spin:

So I just read an article on the 335d (likely to come over).....285 HP and 427 lb/fts of torque from 1400-4000 rpms...

But it's not available with a manual transmission.

Gah....

Anyone think Subaru will offer a 2009 LGT with a revised engine offering greater low-end response, more top-end (i.e. 260 HP and torque), and greater fuel economy along with the 6-spd trans standard? :)

Joe

So I just read an article on the 335d (likely to come over).....285 HP and 427 lb/fts of torque from 1400-4000 rpms...

But it's not available with a manual transmission.

Gah....

Anyone think Subaru will offer a 2009 LGT with a revised engine offering greater low-end response, more top-end (i.e. 260 HP and torque), and greater fuel economy along with the 6-spd trans standard? :)

Joe

Contrary to what Audi wants us to believe, diesels just don't sound sporting to me. Great for towing though!

No.

We will get something with the revised and ugly front end, more unwanted "standard" features that drive up the price and finally a manumatic to replace the manual transmission.

More people will buy the car and they will consider losing some "enthusiasts" a necessary evil and then try to sell us a $40k+ STI.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=xittxZZIXTM]YouTube - Vishnu PROcede 12.399 @ 116.8[/ame]

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=xlY6eLLGQ68&feature=related]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=wk9XxM8PIzY&feature=related]YouTube - 335i vs CLS55 AMG race 2[/ame]

just for fun :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-NyWZbdlrs&NR=1]YouTube - gtboard.com presents: BMW 335i Vishnu V2 vs Mercedes E55 AMG[/ame]

did you guys ever see the harmon motive LGT vs the E55?

can't seem to find the link, but that LGT had a turbo upgrade (GT30/35), and was barely holding on, compared to this 335, which only has a chip!wtf!

Well, I believe that V2 335 has more HP than the E55 and less weight, for one thing. I also don't think that was a "real race". I don't think they launched, and they seemed to be going around 25-35mph when they "took off".

That 335, IIRC, is capable of running a ~12.8 Quarter mile (on street/summer tires) and a 0-60 around 4.4 seconds.

I.e. The Vishnu V2 level of tune gets a 335 to that area.

Joe

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4YTro6KPXY&feature=related]YouTube - CLS 55 AMG VS 335i BMW w/ Procede 1.47 Messing Around[/ame]

:spin:

Oh noes! CLS55 walking a Procede'd 335i. The earth must be off its axis!!

Internet racing vids FTL:lol:

I should go onto a BMW forum and ask them if I should buy a Subaru :lol:

I did

And I'm a big fan of both :)

Humorously enough, the BMW people for the most part suggested Subaru (i.e. don't get into a car that you can "afford", get into a car that you don't have to think about the finances).

They didn't spend most of the posts talking about the superiority of some aspect of their cars :)

Of course, there were some of those people, and there are plenty of ignorati's on the BMW forums.

I like how this forum is a solid step (or two) above NASIOC.

BTW, I just reread this sentence I wrote, "That 335, IIRC, is capable of running a ~12.8 Quarter mile (on street/summer tires) and a 0-60 around 4.4 seconds."

I meant that top be the V2 Vishnu (which, I believe, is an exhaust and tune).

Joe

Here is the long and Short of it from my end. I have owned both a BMW M series car and currently on my 6th Subaru so I can give you a couple things to think about.

Pro's for BMW:

A little more styling in regards to interior and exterior,

Nicer Alloy wheels (stock)

Better lights

Decent brakes

Slightly better road handling

A better color selection (depending on what year LGT you get)

Cons of the BMW platform:

EXPENSIVE EXPENSIVE EXPENSIVE (parts, labour, maintenance, upkeep)

Too many freaken sensors in the BMW's 3 series (not cheap to replace)

RWD - Good for what? maybe a quicker off the line speed but not safer. Think about your applications - is your wife gonna drive it? do you plan to have kids etc? RWD's are not as easy to control when the car is on all weather conditions. (for some of us)

BMW in my local area will void your warranty should you not follow the warranty and maintenance plans...look into that. (more so then Subaru)

INLINE 6 vs. Horizontally opposed boxer engine? i don't even have to speak to the dynamics of this. BOXER engines are way better it a million ways.

RESALE VALUE: look in your local auto reseller magazine and count how many more BMW's you'l find vs. Subaru LGT's I bet it's 4 BMW to 1 Subaru.

TRY WORKING ON ONE IN YOUR GARAGE: you need a Flash for all kinds of codes, not to mention the amount of hand room under the hood. Subaru's win in that department hands down.

Subaru LGT Pros:

Boxer engine - lower center of gravity, well balanced, a HISTORY OF GOOD ENGINE BLOCKS AND BOTTOM ENDS

SI-DRIVE AWD (certain models)

Cheaper to maintain (for most of us)

Symetrical AWD which works very well in all weather

Good Torque - and adequate HP for the money

A broad spectrum of aftermarket mods avail (which are less expensive then that for a BMW 3 series)

US- You have a family of passionate people who share the same aspirations. we help out, and speak on our experiences.

10K in after-market mods will get you a faster more fun car to drive.

TURBO's have been in our cars for way longer - I'd like to see the long term effects of the BMW turbo platform in the NEW 3 series.

Subaru LGT Cons:

Styling has come a long way but not to far off if you understand what's under the shell of the LGT.

Lights ( no XENON HID's on the LGT )

Brakes could be better.

Most girls will want to ride in a BMW vs. a LGT (stock) and you're married so no big deal.

Color selections are getting better.

SUBARU LEGACY has my vote - and I will tell you that I have beaten a bunch of BMW 335's - on the road with my Wagon. I love the look on their faces when I skool em wit a wagon.....Priceless.

Hopefully that helps you out.

Archived