LegacyGT.com

My Letter'S To Subaru LONG

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did. But what does that have to do with anything?

Probably have to have the dealer do the install for it to not give them grounds to deny warranty coverage. A big part of the value of the "SPT" parts is not for Subaru to make a few bucks on parts, but for dealers to be able to make money on installs.

If you want total piece of warranty mind, buy SPT and have the dealer do installs. Anything else, you've opened the door for them to wiggle out of things, IMO. Furthermore, now that the door is open they're probably wondering if the intake was the only thing you modified and returned to stock. Remember, they don't have to prove anything to deny warranty coverage. They can deny you on the spot on suspicion alone, then you have to take them to court to have the warranty honored. In the meantime, you can get a problem fixed at reasonable cost and try to recover it in court later.

Get a Tribeca! :lol:

But once you buy a Legacy or Subaru is hard to step away from it for what it offers. Honestly you are in the minority here with all your issues. You may have gotten a badly built one, but not all are like that.

Maybe give Subaru a second chance? :iam:

X

---

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I am late to an old thread but I just found this one. What I can tell you is that I have been complaining about the hesitation problem as well and the response has been EXACTLY the same.

Several attempts to contact SOA, no response, several more attempts, and being told "The car functions normally".

The dealer has done what they could, I have no qualms with them, but I don't know how the CS rep can say the car functions normally to me when he has never been for a ride in it and the dealer drives it and says "Hmmmmmm, it should not do that."

I did get a reflash on my 2007 and still get the hesitation (Which includes the car bucking under WOT) even though the problem has been lessened to some extent. My big complaint now (on top of the fact that it has not been fixed entirely) is that the reflash has absolutely killed my gas milage. I had been getting about 26 per tank, now down to 21.5. Thats almost 20% decrease after the reflash and I still get the hesitation.

I just called SOA yesterday for the umteenth time and said I would like to speak to the supervisor or the "senior" customer service rep who I am always reffered to but is never at their desk. I wonder if that is standard practice.

BTW...As you can see from my sig I have a 2007 5mt.

What irritates me the most is that my friend was stranded in a new Forrester a year ago and he called Customer service to complain and they instantly gave him an extension on his powertrain coverage to 8/80 no questions asked. I can't even get a return phone call.

I wish I could get some people interested in a class action. I am still looking into lemon law.

Sorry, I wasnt ignoring you. I am stuck between getting rid of the car and finding something practical that I like. AWD is a must. I would like it to be in the same price range if possible. I just dont see anything out there. I am definately staying away from VAG.

is it just me or did you just say your staying away from the VAGina?

ok buttpirate

:spin:

:lol:

;)

• 1 month later...
Well SOA has done nothing and still stand behind their decision. I've left it alone for now but Ihavent given up. My car is still stalling and runs like crap in the cold. Others around here with all year models have the stalling problem so I doubt it will be fixed. I did get a survey from Martiz Research about Subaru and needless to say they got a "poor" rating regarding engine and transmission. I dont stutter in the winter because I keep the revs down because im drving at a slow speed. Unfortunately the trade off is the stalling. Dealer is aware and cant find anything wrong.

Stalling issue? I've owned two 2005 LGT's in the last couple years, one which I sold to my brother. We both are very happy with our cars, and agree they're the best cars we've owned.

My LGT has never had any issue since I've owned it, even in the harsh winters we have here in VT. What are you running 87 octane in your car or something? I find it hard to beleive your dealer can't fix your car if it was in fact stalling for no apparent reason. :confused:

2005 LGT w/ dom. 3 + meth - Sold.

Stalling issue? I've owned two 2005 LGT's in the last couple years, one which I sold to my brother. We both are very happy with our cars, and agree they're the best cars we've owned.

My LGT has never had any issue since I've owned it, even in the harsh winters we have here in VT. What are you running 87 octane in your car or something? I find it hard to beleive your dealer can't fix your car if it was in fact stalling for no apparent reason. :confused:

As a matter of fact I use 93 Octane vs the reccomended 91 octane. I am sure my dealer would fix it if they could find the problem. However they dont see a problem.

As a matter of fact I use 93 Octane vs the reccomended 91 octane. I am sure my dealer would fix it if they could find the problem. However they dont see a problem.

There is no such thing as recommended 91 octane. The recommended octane is premium. And if 91 is the best you can run - that is what you run. But if 93 is the premium gasoline available to you, then this is what you are supposed to run.

I know you have issues with your car. And as a fellow GT enthusiast, I feel your pain. But I can't sometimes not blame the operator either. Either in terms of expectations OR in terms of usage.

I did (the install of the SPT intake and heatshield). But what does that have to do with anything?

The dealerships will hunt your every mistake and blame it on you. You should know better. They can't blame your stereo for crackles on the SPT intake but they can surely accuse you of damaging the MAF and causing engine issues when you toyed with it.

You should know better - you've been on the boards enough time.

I would think the MAF itself would have to have been damaged for them to make that claim on it. Just running the SPT, being a Subaru part and all, wouldn't lay claim to him being at fault. Even if many people on this forum disagree about the pros/cons of using that intake. Maybe if it was a K&N they could gripe about it, but IMO that wouldn't be a nagging point for them. Unless your dealership is a Nazi, then I'd take it somewhere else.

If you are running the SPT, I would check that it is not over-oiled. I have read that this would attrubite to running leaner than normal. Many people clean theirs before putting it on their car. If you really suspect it as being the problem, swap back the stock airbox for a while and see.

Hell, I'd take it somewhere else anyhow if this one place can't find anything wrong with it. You should have the same level of excitment and satisfaction toward your car as I do. You deserve better. :)

Is the installer a certified Subaru mechanic ? NO. it doesn't matter if the task is simple that a 2 year olf could do it. They can write the warranty details whichever way they like. They may claim you bent one of those little hot wires or damaged the connector that is only makes contact on 99% of the surface rather than 100%. Bottom line is...to avoid headaches you either stay stock - stay happy. Or do not involve the dealership with warranty claims on items that you dicked with yourself unless you are crafty enough to put it back to stock AND you have never been seen by the dealer with the said modification (let alone admit about it).

This latter option is really indicative of questionable morals but at least you give the dealership the headache of finding what is wrong as opposed to directly blaming you.

I am sure my dealer would fix it if they could find the problem. However they dont see a problem.

You just nailed it...if your dealer AND SOA can not find a problem with the car how can they be expected to fix a non-existent problem?

Is the installer a certified Subaru mechanic ? NO. it doesn't matter if the task is simple that a 2 year olf could do it. They can write the warranty details whichever way they like. They may claim you bent one of those little hot wires or damaged the connector that is only makes contact on 99% of the surface rather than 100%. Bottom line is...to avoid headaches you either stay stock - stay happy. Or do not involve the dealership with warranty claims on items that you dicked with yourself unless you are crafty enough to put it back to stock AND you have never been seen by the dealer with the said modification (let alone admit about it).

This latter option is really indicative of questionable morals but at least you give the dealership the headache of finding what is wrong as opposed to directly blaming you.

To me, this 100% smells of a crappy dealership. If your dealership is going to be that petty about, nonetheless, a Subaru part, they're gonna hose you no matter what. That's what those guys do.

On the other hand, my dealership suggested that I get a CAI and a CBE, even if it was not SPT or Subaru part. They said as long as I brought it there for service, they could care less. They said that barring me changing the turbo, or other major parts, they didn't mind the "little" mods.

Bottom line, you shouldn't be having problems with your 2008 car, and the dealer should fix it. If you got a bad apple (or lemon) out of the bunch, they should recognize that: hey... stuff happens, just make good on it and deliver the product that was expected.

a cliff notes for this thread?

Carter believes he has a problem with his car.

He wrote a long, long, long letter to SOA. He told SOA he installed some intake parts. (He really doesn't know how to bitch/threaten very well.)

Subaru of America blew him off.

If he really had a case, he'd have a lawyer take care of it.

He doesn't, so he won't.

P.S.: He's also claimed his center console melted "for no reason".

Archived