LegacyGT.com

Performance in hot weather

Great thread!!!

To the OP My car runes the same year round.....Water Injection FTW

Thanks for wandering back to the topic! :lol: I haven't really noticed that "normal" hot weather has much noticeable affect on any of the cars I've owned. Temps above 110 just aren't normal by almost anyone's sane standard. I'm sure it's a bit beyond what most manufacturers expect for vehicles sold in USA... maybe if they export 'em to the Arabian peninsula... :eek:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An object in motion? Its a compressor! Not a plain Jane wheel, if a driving force (your engine) wasn't turning it, it would rather NOT be in motion....I believe AC is bad for power. Wouldn't put it any other way.

An object in motion? Its a compressor! Not a plain Jane wheel, if a driving force (your engine) wasn't turning it, it would rather NOT be in motion....I believe AC is bad for power. Wouldn't put it any other way.

It's been covered already. Obviously, AC does consume power. That was never in dispute.

8 just read all 8 pages what a waste Vimy not trying to attack but this is how every thread you are involved with goes. Why keep arguing even if you are right? (which u aren't this time) learn to throw in the towel unless u just love wasting your time and everyone elses..... Sorry everyone for contributing to the BS in this thread bug after reading all 8 pages I had to say something.. I should have quit at page 2 b/c after that they are all the same arguing

Oil pressure increases under load such as WOT

wrong wrong wrong

Oh, but it does indeed increase under load hence the oil pressure regulator valve and oil bypass valve. Maybe you think those devices are somewhat akin to the human apendix. A vestigial evolutionary leftover. Or maybe OEMs just like to install them for fun. Maybe installing them is a gov't make work project.

Oh, but it does indeed increase under load hence the oil pressure regulator valve and oil bypass valve. Maybe you think those devices are somewhat akin to the human apendix. A vestigial evolutionary leftover. Or maybe OEMs just like to install them for fun. Maybe installing them is a gov't make work project.

Why don't you try explaining WHY you think pressure increases with load, instead of simply repeating it?

The oil pump runs off the crank, and therefore its speed is proportional to crank rpm. As rpm increases, the pump spins faster, trying to push more volume thru the same size passages, increasing pressure (if there was no pressure regulation).

A load would slow rpm increase while at WOT (for example), and therefore slow the rate at which pressure from the oil pump would increase.

Why don't you try explaining WHY you think pressure increases with load, instead of simply repeating it?

The oil pump runs off the crank, and therefore its speed is proportional to crank rpm. As rpm increases, the pump spins faster, trying to push more volume thru the same size passages, increasing pressure (if there was no pressure regulation).

A load would slow rpm increase while at WOT (for example), and therefore slow the rate at which pressure from the oil pump would increase.

We've tried logic on him before, doesn't work :lol:

Needs something heavy and blunt to get through to him ;)

Just don't want incorrect info circulating on a car site.

I provide references and logic.

Well in that case I disagree with your comment a couple pages ago about high temp and high altitude being the same when it comes to an intercooled internal combustion car. I'd say a NA car loses less than a FI car at high temp sea level air. Opposite and more noticable difference at altitude with the FI car losing much less than a NA car.

Please bring on the logic!

Back to the thread subject, had a nice heatsoak incident today. Temp. was registering 97 degrees, just caught a light after moving at 60 mph. After a minute sitting at the light, the car was slooooow getting back up 60. The kayak on the roof didn't help of course, but the power loss was certainly noticable.

Oil pressure increases under load such as WOT and the oil bypass valve is tripped by the pressure as per design. It's just how ICEs work.

drtyurdtyrtynr4.png.daa1074b70f37f79531f4f400da97fb2.png

Silly little boys! :lol:

Oil pressure builds under load hence the bypass systems.

Heat and altitude share one property, namely, air density.

Logic is hitting you in the face and you still don't recognize it. :lol:

dude. you car can have a full load at 7000rpm or at 500rpm. there is going to be a big oil pressure difference. maybe you think oil pressure and boost pressure are the same?

OIL PRESSURE DOES NOT BUILD UNDER LOAD!!!

if you say you back it up with proof then find me proof that the more load on the engine will build more oil pressure. maybe you think a oilfilter LOADed with dirt will have more pressure. but thats not true either. it will have larger pressure drop across it. and the bypasvalve in the filter and the pressure regulator in the engine has nothing to do with load either.

what is the extent of your education? high school? college? tech school?

dude. you car can have a full load at 7000rpm or at 500rpm. there is going to be a big oil pressure difference. maybe you think oil pressure and boost pressure are the same?

OIL PRESSURE DOES NOT BUILD UNDER LOAD!!!

if you say you back it up with proof then find me proof that the more load on the engine will build more oil pressure. maybe you think a oilfilter LOADed with dirt will have more pressure. but thats not true either. it will have larger pressure drop across it. and the bypasvalve in the filter and the pressure regulator in the engine has nothing to do with load either.

what is the extent of your education? high school? college? tech school?

Please, at least try a little logic. As has been mentioned in this thread the oil pump is connected to the crankshaft. As rpms increase so does the amount of oil pumped into the passageways which, logically, creates more pressure. OEM provide oil pressure regulator valves and oil bypass valves for this specific purpose.

Read this and then maybe you'll be able to ask some better questions.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us80022.htm

Please, at least try a little logic. As has been mentioned in this thread the oil pump is connected to the crankshaft. As rpms increase so does the amount of oil pumped into the passageways which, logically, creates more pressure. OEM provide oil pressure regulator valves and oil bypass valves for this specific purpose.

Read this and then maybe you'll be able to ask some better questions.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us80022.htm

:lol:

Instead of posting links, post YOUR explanation.

As you correctly state, the oil pump is directly driven from the crankshaft, it is a trochoidal pump, which means it delivers a fixed volume of oil for each revolution.

If you go WOT at 3,000 rpm, it will deliver the same amount of oil as partial throttle at 3,000 rpm.

The space that the oil is being pumped into, ie the bearing clearances, does not change at any load, therefore the pressure will be the same at any given RPM regardless of the load.

Clear ?

yes and this is not logical as to what we have all been telling you for the past week how? how does your "under load" fit into this now?

Originally Posted by Vimy101 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

Silly little boys! :lol:

Oil pressure builds under load hence the bypass systems.

Originally Posted by Vimy101 http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

Oh, but it does indeed increase under load hence the oil pressure regulator valve and oil bypass valve.

Oil pressure increases under load such as WOT and the oil bypass valve is tripped by the pressure as per design. It's just how ICEs work.

Archived