LegacyGT.com

Performance in hot weather

Thanks for the practical help, guys. Um... I've got to agree with Zed that "inertia does not equal torque"... Sorry Vimy.

Oh, actually, I am a physics professor. That's why I have the plates that say "FIZXMAN" :lol: I teach Newtonian mechanics and basic mechanical engineering - not automotive engineering, though. So I'm happy to admit my ignorance and ask for help when I've got a great group to teach me! ;)

I didn't know that our ECU shuts off the air during hard acceleration. This would explain why I don't feel the drain when I'm accelerating and the A/C is on - certainly not as much as my last car ('03 Mazda 6). With that beast, I routinely had to shut off the A/C if I had to pull away from a stop or merge into highway traffic. Yech! Subie is far superior! :wub:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

87 Mustangs turned of the A/C when you went WOT too ;) almost any modern car dies that.

And it doesn't use the oil filter at WOT - fascinating :lol: Where he gets this stuff from I don't know and don't want to know.

I kind of like the AC compressor as flywheel concept who knew Subaru had invented a perpetual motion machine. :lol:

I kind of like the AC compressor as flywheel concept who knew Subaru had invented a perpetual motion machine. :lol:

Are you always this obtuse or did you catch West Nile over the weekend?

A spinning compressor has inertia? How about that, eh?

The oil filter is bypassed at WOT as well.

Surpassed yourself again Vimy :lol:

So you are saying, at WOT, when the load is highest on the engine, a magic valve opens to allow unfiltered, dirty oil through the bearings and into the turbo ?

That's what the banjo bolt filter is for !!! Brilliant !!!!

Surpassed yourself again Vimy :lol:

So you are saying, at WOT, when the load is highest on the engine, a magic valve opens to allow unfiltered, dirty oil through the bearings and into the turbo ?

That's what the banjo bolt filter is for !!! Brilliant !!!!

Oil pressure is nominally somewhere between 40-60 psi depending on the OEM. This pressure is normally exceeded on cold starts (because of viscosity) and at WOT. When the pressure is exceeded the bypass valve diverts oil past the oil fitler and this is no doubt why Subaru has those banjo bolts before the turbo. My local techs are seeing see quite a few rexes with failed turbos because the cars are being run at WOT a lot which increases the chance of unfiltered oil passing through the banjo bolt filters and getting clogged.

either that or WOT is hard on a turbo...

The turbo failures seem to be related to the banjo bolt filters becoming clogged because unfilterd oil is being passed through them at WOT (oil pressure bypass valve) leading to starvation of the oil bearing.

Oil pressure is nominally somewhere between 40-60 psi depending on the OEM. This pressure is normally exceeded on cold starts (because of viscosity) and at WOT. When the pressure is exceeded the bypass valve diverts oil past the oil fitler ........

Huh? The bypass valve inside the OEM filter starts to open at 23psi. This is the differential pressure across the filter element. Actual engine oil pressure, be it 90psi or 30psi, is pretty much irrelevant to the operation of the bypass valve.

that whole AC adding torque thing is funny. So instead of getting a lightweight flywheel we should all get heavy ones because once its spinning it adds torque? The ac pulley turns no matter what turning the ac on just engages the whole compressor making it way heavier. But if heavy is good then I am running my AC all the time.

and the oil bypassing the filter is genious. Why do we have one anyway? I mean if I am getting better flow and performance without it why not just block it off and add some ponies. Free mod FTW!!!

Huh? The bypass valve inside the OEM filter starts to open at 23psi. This is the differential pressure across the filter element. Actual engine oil pressure, be it 90psi or 30psi, is pretty much irrelevant to the operation of the bypass valve.

I think you're confusing the failsafe in the filter with the oil bypass valve.

that whole AC adding torque thing is funny. So instead of getting a lightweight flywheel we should all get heavy ones because once its spinning it adds torque? The ac pulley turns no matter what turning the ac on just engages the whole compressor making it way heavier. But if heavy is good then I am running my AC all the time.

and the oil bypassing the filter is genious. Why do we have one anyway? I mean if I am getting better flow and performance without it why not just block it off and add some ponies. Free mod FTW!!!

Interesting how there are some serious misconceptions on this site furthered by weak attempts at sarcasm.:cool:

I liked the term "false torque" (inertia) mentioned earlier in the thread.

How often is a car driven at WOT? The most work an oil filter is going to do is at highway speeds.

Archived