LegacyGT.com

If available and under $40k would you buy a LGT STi?

Stage 1 (guesstimate $1500-2000

Stage 2 ($3500-$4000)

Stage 3 ($5000-$5500)

All I can say is Ouch! That's Expensive!

Lower those prices and you would get more takers.

Adding $5K to a $35K Spec.B puts it at $40K.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question on those prices: Would there be any discount for exchanging the stock parts?

If the package cost is $5K and we can get $2K back for the removed parts, that would be a nice deal. A straight out $5K charge would be difficult to manage, unless it were included in the original purchase (included in the vehicle loan, rather than having to shell out $5K in cash).

One question on those prices: Would there be any discount for exchanging the stock parts?

If the package cost is $5K and we can get $2K back for the removed parts, that would be a nice deal. A straight out $5K charge would be difficult to manage, unless it were included in the original purchase (included in the vehicle loan, rather than having to shell out $5K in cash).

Just so its clear. I don't work for Subie in any way shape or form. THose prices are just completely made up off the top of my head so I really don't know what the "real" ones would be. I was also going off of what GTSPEC B in which SOA would open a STi shop. Per dealer order they take a car from port and send it to the STi shop to install which ever package. The car then goes to the ordering dealer for delivery. This would also bring some of the STi parts here that dealers could sell on top of the SPT stuff. So if customer X just wants the handling part of a package and nothing else the dealer could order those parts and tailor the car to the customers taste. Otherwise you could simply order which ever package the customer wants, the "STi garage" builds it and ships to the dealer.

PSI365, I love the Idea. Now lets start a email campain to SOA to do such a thing. do you think it might work? or do what the fans of Jerico did, send the CEO of SOA a can of nuts till they do what we want :p

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

PSI365, I love the Idea. Now lets start a email campain to SOA to do such a thing. do you think it might work? or do what the fans of Jerico did, send the CEO of SOA a can of nuts till they do what we want :p

Look I truly know how unrealistic it would be. Its just that since subie already has at least the "tuned by STi" garage in Australia which seems like it works. Why couldn't it work in a larger market like north america? Just getting a LGT tuned by STi would be an accomplishment, let alone something like I purpose.

Look I truly know how unrealistic it would be. Its just that since subie already has at least the "tuned by STi" garage in Australia which seems like it works. Why couldn't it work in a larger market like north america? Just getting a LGT tuned by STi would be an accomplishment, let alone something like I purpose.

Amen

Subaru Ambassador PNW

One slight difference: Australia gets their cars from Japan. US cars are built in Indiana. Not that this would change much, as they could build the STI facility nearby the Indiana factory for ease of transportation.

It seems they could even incorporate this into the assembly line, as it seems to be extra work to build the standard Legacy, then have it half disassembled to put in the STI components. Wasted effort, if you ask me.

If it's done right on the assembly line, it could save costs, and they don't have to worry about what to do with the components that were removed from the cars.

One slight difference: Australia gets their cars from Japan. US cars are built in Indiana. Not that this would change much, as they could build the STI facility nearby the Indiana factory for ease of transportation.

It seems they could even incorporate this into the assembly line, as it seems to be extra work to build the standard Legacy, then have it half disassembled to put in the STI components. Wasted effort, if you ask me.

If it's done right on the assembly line, it could save costs, and they don't have to worry about what to do with the components that were removed from the cars.

Heck, they could probally build it IN the Indiana factory with all the space they have there.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Heck, they could probally build it IN the Indiana factory with all the space they have there.

Well, they don't have quite as much space now that Camrys are being built there. Anyone know if they have any un-utilized space left?

I like the idea of setting aside an area within the factory for STI mods.

I was just brainstorming as to ideas to bring the cost down since so many people complained that mid to upper $30k for a LSTi would be way to much. I would guess they could figure a way of doing everything in house in Indiana. They could internally have a STi section in the factory if Toyota isn't taking up to much room. IS the Indiana plant the only US Subaru plant? Remember they could make more money if they made STi stages for every car in the line up. So if there are other plants in teh US that gives a better chance that one of them has enough room to pull this off.

The Legacy line (legacy, outback, Tribeca, and formerly baja) was built in Indiana and the Impresa and Foresters are boated over from Japan. So only one plant in the US.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I was just brainstorming as to ideas to bring the cost down since so many people complained that mid to upper $30k for a LSTi would be way to much. I would guess they could figure a way of doing everything in house in Indiana. They could internally have a STi section in the factory if Toyota isn't taking up to much room. IS the Indiana plant the only US Subaru plant? Remember they could make more money if they made STi stages for every car in the line up. So if there are other plants in teh US that gives a better chance that one of them has enough room to pull this off.

Upper $30s wouldn't be too much if the hp is in the 320-350 range. They could easily match the hp of the new Impreza STI and still not threaten the top dog because the Legacy is bigger and heavier.

I'd love to have a turbo H6 putting out 350+, but I'd be just about as happy with a turbo H4 putting out 350, and not quite as happy, but still rather pleased with an H4 w/ 300-320 hp.

I just firmly believe that an STI Legacy isn't really an STI if there's not much of a power boost. Sure the suspension goodies are nice, but many other cars are passing the Legacy in power output.

A loaded SpecB is there right now @ only 243hp

If Subaru offered a turbocharges H6 STI version of the Legacy it would be @ least mid 40's.

How many would put there name on that dotted line??

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

If Subaru offered a turbocharges H6 STI version of the Legacy it would be @ least mid 40's.

Seriously,

In a heart beat

Subaru Ambassador PNW

It seems like everyone around here keeps saying "for that price I would rather have a BMW 335"..

Why? For the crappy interior? The possibly questionable long-term reliability?

If Subaru managed to develop suspension that gets it closer to the 335, why wouldn't you buy a $38,000 Legacy?

You can say "forty grand for a Subaru?!?! :lol:" all you want, but if it has features and performs similar to that of other similarly priced cars, then what's the problem?

how stiff would the structure be in comparison? dollar for dollar i would be a tough call IF subaru matched it. im sure there will be gives and takes. subaru would have to give one hell of a car for 45k. for 38 though...not too shabby. i would like an option for a clutchless manual.

I'd be there, down-payment in hand. I think mid-40s is too much though.

With AccessPort Stage II I can pull on the current M3. Not by much, but I can. With the new M3 w/ V-8, that's not going to happen. Subaru needs to keep up.

What's interesting though is that the new M3 has 400hp but only 300 lb/ft of torque. I haven't dynoed mine, but Cobb claims 345 lb/ft at Stage II running 93 octane. We can still launch better, but the M3 will catch up quickly.

The current M3 is rated at:

333hp @ 7900

262 lb-ft @ 4900

Curb Weight = 3415

I'm not sure why they can't pull on me, because I don't even have a cat-back (or turbo-back) exhaust yet, so I know I'm not up to Cobb's full ratings for Stage II, though mine is a non-limited GT, so I'm probably under 3300 lbs. Still, the M3 just doesn't seem to live up to its specs.

2006 M3:

http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw_m3_coupe-specs/?p=eng

Why would mid 40's be to much.......

The current specB loaded is 37K R&D for a high performance H6TT engine upgraded interior...exterior mode etc....

You would be looking @ a 45-47k vehicle.

Look @ what ESX does with the STI, the 425hp versions go for 60k:eek::lol::lol::lol:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Why would mid 40's be to much.......

The current specB loaded is 37K R&D for a high performance H6TT engine upgraded interior...exterior mode etc....

You would be looking @ a 45-47k vehicle.

Look @ what ESX does with the STI, the 425hp versions go for 60k:eek::lol::lol::lol:

But they've been doing the R&D on a turbo H6 for at least five years! They had a running turbo 3.0 H6 in the B11S in 2003, putting out 400 hp & 400 lb/ft of torque, which means development had to start well before the B11S was announced and displayed. Those development costs were paid for long ago.

There was a rumor a couple years ago that the reason they didn't put it in production was due to not being able to pass emissions. I think it was a stalling tactic. Well, they've stalled long enough. They've already invested $millions in developing that motor, they need to put it in production and recoup those engineering investments!

Even if it only came with 350/350, I'd pay over $40K for it. I don't want to, but if they produce it, and charge that much, I won't be able to resist buying it. It's just one of those "gotta have" items.

THe only reason I can see that they've been stalling is cause at the moment Subaru doesn't know what market they want to be in. With putting a H6 turbo into a car and putting a $40k plus price tag they would clearly be planting a flag as going againist the like of MB, BMW, and Audi for the sport luxury market. What kind of 335i can you get for $40k? A strippo with next to nothing on it. Yippie with a chip and some other mods it can make 400hp, but it seems not reliably. It still isn't awd so for us where it snows its almost a useless car cause then you would need to get a winter beater. Regardless I highly doubt they'd put a more powerful engine in their Legacy over their rally inspired performance car Wrx STi.

Archived