LegacyGT.com

If available and under $40k would you buy a LGT STi?

if an auto can regularly beat 0-60 and 1/4 times than the equivalent manual transmission then I will consider....

otherwise not buying a sports car automatic.....

There is a reason they never made ONE Mustang Cobra in an automatic. ;)

Since when is the Legacy is a sports car?

I would be a buyer for a Legacy STi at about $34K.

I think that is an excellent price for this model. As 2006Specb122 pointed out, it doesnt have the options of the G35 and probably wont have the power as well, so it has to undercut it on price.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, not at close to $40k.

I also agree that $34k is about what I would consider.

Way too many other/better competition at close to $40k. Performance bang for the buck is what sold the LGT to me. At $40k that's a lot more bucks for not a lot more bang in my book.

For that much more money I would def. buy a Audi. I don't believe Subaru has a well enough name yet to produce such an expensive car, even though the performance on the cars are the best around.

You better seriously take into account the long-term ongoing expenses with an Audi. Their reliability has been seriously dropping in the last few years. I just heard another story of a coworker abandoning Audi because the expense of the continual repairs. It was in the shop almost as much as it was on the road.

To buy an Audi these days, you either need to be a mechanic, work at a dealer, or be wealthy.

The way I see it:

We're most likely to get the Legacy tuned by STI, which should be priced in the low to mid $30,000 range. In other markets, the "tuned by STI" trim level is an add-on to the Spec.B, so you would expect at least a $2000 bump in price over the Spec.B for all the stuff you get. I hope they drop the Spec.B down a bit, then price the "tuned by STI" at or slightly above the current Spec.B price, or offer a slightly decontented STI for the same price.

They could easily change the Spec.B to become the luxo grand touring, with all the options, sunroof, Nav, leather, and toss in the 5EAT (or make a 6EAT), put in softer springs, and put all the sporty options in the STI model, 6MT, horsepower bump, stiffer springs/sway bars, lighter weight, etc.

If the LSTI came with a turbo H6 putting out 350/350, I could see the price nudging $40K, and it would be worth it. If they made one of these and put it out next week, I'd be at the dealer with my check in hand. If it's only an ECU tune on the current Legacy engine (which it appears to be), it's just not worth $40K, and I'll probably hold off for a couple years.

The way I see it:

We're most likely to get the Legacy tuned by STI, which should be priced in the low to mid $30,000 range. In other markets, the "tuned by STI" trim level is an add-on to the Spec.B, so you would expect at least a $2000 bump in price over the Spec.B for all the stuff you get. I hope they drop the Spec.B down a bit, then price the "tuned by STI" at or slightly above the current Spec.B price, or offer a slightly decontented STI for the same price.

They could easily change the Spec.B to become the luxo grand touring, with all the options, sunroof, Nav, leather, and toss in the 5EAT (or make a 6EAT), put in softer springs, and put all the sporty options in the STI model, 6MT, horsepower bump, stiffer springs/sway bars, lighter weight, etc.

If the LSTI came with a turbo H6 putting out 350/350, I could see the price nudging $40K, and it would be worth it. If they made one of these and put it out next week, I'd be at the dealer with my check in hand. If it's only an ECU tune on the current Legacy engine (which it appears to be), it's just not worth $40K, and I'll probably hold off for a couple years.

Interesting thoughts, I totally agree with what you are saying. In order for the LSTi to be in the low to mid $30k range, they are going to have to lower the price of the specB, which doesnt seem too likely in my book unfortunately.

You say that the LSTi with an ECU tune isnt worth $40k, but in your eye, is it worth the low to mid $30k pricetag you mentioned?

Interesting thoughts, I totally agree with what you are saying. In order for the LSTi to be in the low to mid $30k range, they are going to have to lower the price of the specB, which doesnt seem too likely in my book unfortunately.

You say that the LSTi with an ECU tune isnt worth $40k, but in your eye, is it worth the low to mid $30k pricetag you mentioned?

Hmm, good question. If it was at or below $30K, I'd say it's definitely worth it. In the low to mid $30K range, it's kind of a grey area. I'd rather not pay that much, but if that's where they price it, there's a good possibility I'd pay it, even if I think it's not quite worth it. If you take a regular LGT, add in the cost of the components we'll get in the LSTI, AND consider the cost of installation of those same parts, the LSTI will be worth it.

Considering that I paid $22K for my LGT (used), it would be harder for me to justify paying over $10K more for a new LSTI, but, if there weren't any other options, I probably would. I'm not sure I'd wait to try to buy one used.

The part that has me holding back is wondering what they'll bring in 2010 when they redesign the Legacy. I know that if I buy a Legacy tuned by STI in 2008 with the same 2.5 turbo we have now, if they do bring something better in 2010, I'll be kicking myself for jumping in too soon in 2008, because I won't be able to buy again 2010 if I buy in 2008. Yes, I suppose I could just trade in the '08 for the '10 model...

On the other side of the coin, if the 2010 LSTI ends up being not much different than the 2008 version, I won't want to wait 'til 2010 to get it.

I sure wish I could see into the future to know what's coming next...

40K for a Subaru?!:lol:

+1. I got my 05 LGT for $26k. STi Brembo brakes front and rear, stage 2, 2 sets of aftermarket wheels and Cobbs f/r sways and Swift springs. All I need is Koni adjustables or Megan coilovers now. And I am still WELL below 40k. An STi LGT with same power as standard LGT? Sorry, no.

Hmm, good question. If it was at or below $30K, I'd say it's definitely worth it. In the low to mid $30K range, it's kind of a grey area. I'd rather not pay that much, but if that's where they price it, there's a good possibility I'd pay it, even if I think it's not quite worth it. If you take a regular LGT, add in the cost of the components we'll get in the LSTI, AND consider the cost of installation of those same parts, the LSTI will be worth it.

Considering that I paid $22K for my LGT (used), it would be harder for me to justify paying over $10K more for a new LSTI, but, if there weren't any other options, I probably would. I'm not sure I'd wait to try to buy one used.

The part that has me holding back is wondering what they'll bring in 2010 when they redesign the Legacy. I know that if I buy a Legacy tuned by STI in 2008 with the same 2.5 turbo we have now, if they do bring something better in 2010, I'll be kicking myself for jumping in too soon in 2008, because I won't be able to buy again 2010 if I buy in 2008. Yes, I suppose I could just trade in the '08 for the '10 model...

On the other side of the coin, if the 2010 LSTI ends up being not much different than the 2008 version, I won't want to wait 'til 2010 to get it.

I sure wish I could see into the future to know what's coming next...

Thats hoping that the '10 Legacy isnt a styling disaster and they are trying out some new (and horrible) design language. :spin:

Thats hoping that the '10 Legacy isnt a styling disaster and they are trying out some new (and horrible) design language. :spin:

Considering that the Legacy/Outback is their bread & butter, they can't afford to mess up. I figure the changes will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. (at least that's what I'm hoping...)

With the '08 refresh, the changes were slight, while when they refreshed the Impreza from the bugeye, the peanut-eye was quite a change, then the pig-nose was another big change. They seem to do their experimenting with the Impreza, while gently massaging the Legacy.

I kinda came up with an existing idea SOA could apply to us. Instead of buying a full on LSTi, why not copy the Aussies and make it an option package? So for those guys that want to lower the car price, you could now opt to get a regular LGT (non b) and buy the STi performance package. IF you want more options you could do the same with a spec B.

I kinda came up with an existing idea SOA could apply to us. Instead of buying a full on LSTi, why not copy the Aussies and make it an option package? So for those guys that want to lower the car price, you could now opt to get a regular LGT (non b) and buy the STi performance package. IF you want more options you could do the same with a spec B.

There's a thread in here somewhere about how many 08 Spec B's have been made, and a member stated that the Spec B's are built to dealer orders. If this is true, then what you said could be done. Or why not have more options available for the Legacy, such as brembo's, hid's, more body parts. The JDM catalog is huge and are already sitting in parts bins over there. Why couldn't SOA ship those same parts over here? This is where I don't understand SOA's corporate strategy.

What you need in the USA is a STI Dealership and tuning garage like we have here Melbourne. http://www.subarumelbourne.com.au/STi/STI010.asp (first of it's kind outside Japan)

http://www.subarumelbourne.com.au/news/?newsid=11519

The 300 Tuned by STI Liberty's we get here in Australia for 2007 are considerably different to the Spec B version obviously. You can get most of the parts from Japan to bolt on but seats, dash, stereo will be difficult to replicate.

What you need in the USA is a STI Dealership and tuning garage like we have here Melbourne. http://www.subarumelbourne.com.au/STi/STI010.asp (first of it's kind outside Japan)

The 300 Tuned by STI Liberty's we get here in Australia for 2007 are considerably different to the Spec B version obviously. You can get most of the parts from Japan to bolt on but seats, dash, stereo will be difficult to replicate.

If Subaru would put some real money into advertising, they could get some market share. The domestics are in a nosedive, so it's a perfect opportunity!

I have been seeing more magazine adverts, but it's all about the 3.0R lately. I don't believe I've ever seen one on the Spec.B. Well, maybe a while ago.

I guess they are spending their money well, when they spend it. Putting them in car mags should get the attention of car nuts at least.

It's definately a unique idea. Walking into the Subaru dealer here is like walking into a Honda dealership.. or a GM dealership.. or a Ford dealership....

Parking lot full of new and used cars, a showroom with some new cars in it (and the occasional used non-Subaru car :eek:

If you make the browsing experience more memorable and consume the customer with a track, off-road course, etc... then you get the customer excited about the product and help them forget about other brands.

I hate to say it, but Mini does an awesome job of making a car factory customizable. Say they did make a shop like GTSPECB STI said and all "special order" cars could go there for factory installed STi upgrades. If they really wanted to make money don't stop at just one car line and make it so you could option every Subie with STi parts. Make some of the things dealer installs so then the dealership can make some money and it gives them incentives to sell them more. I know there are a ton of details to it, but this basic plan really could work if SOA wanted it to. They could make different STi package levels too ( like Rousch does with Mustangs) that way people get a choice as to how far their car will be factory modified (and price).

Totally agree- for $40k I'm looking at a 335, not a Legacy.

Maintenance and parts can get expensive on BMWs, even when it's supposedly covered under the warranty.

My Subies have been some of the most trouble-free cars I've owned, and have needed very little service. On my '98, I've only needed one major service in 90,000 miles of driving (I bought it with 58,000, and it currently has 150,000).

My '05 hasn't needed anything yet. I bought it used with 34,000, and I currently have just over 54,000, so it's a little early to tell with only putting 20,000 miles on it. Then again, 20,000 miles with no service (other than oil changes, 1 set of brake pads, and 1 set of tires) is pretty good.

I agree that $40K is too much, but I'd be willing to pay mid- to upper-$30K for a Legacy STI with a healthy power boost. (Low to mid $30K if it's only an ECU massage)

For all those saying $40k (which is just a number I randomly came up with and meant up to $40k) what if subie made it more of a "tuned by STi" Legacy? Like I said before so now you could just get a LGT non B and buy a STi package. If they got real smart they could even offer stage kits. So you could in theory buy a LGT and buy a stage one, stage two, or stage three depending on how much you want to spend and how far you want to go with factory backed stuff.

So say

Stage 1 (guesstimate $1500-2000

Sti apperence package

Sti frt and rear spoilers

spats

STi wheels

STi grille

Basically it would be all apperence stuff so you get the body parts and wheels, but not much else.

Stage 2 ($3500-$4000)

INcludes everything of the Stage 1 kit

Brembo Brakes

Sti springs

STi sway bars

STi strut tower brace

power tune bring hp up to 265.

Here you get handling and brakes with a light hp increase.

Stage 3 ($5000-$5500)

Includes everything from Stages 1+2

HID healdights

STi exhaust

STi intercooler

full STi tune.....hp increase to 300hp

full STi interior (either alacantara or leather)

Here you get the full LSTi.

With this you couldn't skip stages or certain options due to increase of manufacturer costs. So you couldn't get a stage 3 withut getting a stage 1 and 2. Those prices are complete guesstimates but would be total price not $2k for stage one then another $35k for a stage 2. So if you wanted a stage 3 it would be an additional $5500 to the price of the car and that would be it.

Any thought whether that would work better then just one tuned by STI package or not?

For all those saying $40k (which is just a number I randomly came up with and meant up to $40k) what if subie made it more of a "tuned by STi" Legacy? Like I said before so now you could just get a LGT non B and buy a STi package. If they got real smart they could even offer stage kits. So you could in theory buy a LGT and buy a stage one, stage two, or stage three depending on how much you want to spend and how far you want to go with factory backed stuff.

I kinda like that idea. That way you could request the parts you want, and leave out the parts you don't want. I presume they would be dealer installed. The question is, are we going to have to pay for the dealer labor on installation of those parts?

I paid close to $50K (including 10+K on tax!) for my tuned-by-STi (no heated seats, moon-roof, navi, etc.) here in Asia. Car itself cost about $34K, the dealer didn't make any profit from me, as I did most paper work by myself. $40K for a LGT STi in the US is unlikely to happen.

This Space For Rent

Archived