LegacyGT.com

If available and under $40k would you buy a LGT STi?

technically...isn't the sti ltd a shortened legacy gt sti...etc?

In a round-about way, yes, but no. The pre-'08 Imprezas are on a shortened Legacy chassis, but the STI and STI LTD are built off the existing Impreza chassis, not taken from the Legacy chassis separately from the Impreza.

I believe the '08 Impreza is no longer shortened. It's a full-length Legacy chassis, with the front and rear overhangs shortened. The '08 STI is still based off the Impreza chassis, but from the sounds of it, there are major changes.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly.. they don't know their customer. They have taken their once sporty WRX and made it a floppy family car...

In other countries, where small cars are the norm, the Impreza could well be a family car. Here in the US, where larger cars are the norm, the Impreza is not.

They have to get over that thinking of the Impreza STI being their ultimate performance car, and put some more performance into the Legacy.

They should just follow BMW's idea with their M3, M5, etc.

For all those saying $40k (which is just a number I randomly came up with and meant up to $40k) what if subie made it more of a "tuned by STi" Legacy? Like I said before so now you could just get a LGT non B and buy a STi package. If they got real smart they could even offer stage kits. So you could in theory buy a LGT and buy a stage one, stage two, or stage three depending on how much you want to spend and how far you want to go with factory backed stuff.

So say

Stage 1 (guesstimate $1500-2000

Sti apperence package

Sti frt and rear spoilers

spats

STi wheels

STi grille

Basically it would be all apperence stuff so you get the body parts and wheels, but not much else.

Stage 2 ($3500-$4000)

INcludes everything of the Stage 1 kit

Brembo Brakes

Sti springs

STi sway bars

STi strut tower brace

power tune bring hp up to 265.

Here you get handling and brakes with a light hp increase.

Stage 3 ($5000-$5500)

Includes everything from Stages 1+2

HID healdights

STi exhaust

STi intercooler

full STi tune.....hp increase to 300hp

full STi interior (either alacantara or leather)

Here you get the full LSTi.

With this you couldn't skip stages or certain options due to increase of manufacturer costs. So you couldn't get a stage 3 withut getting a stage 1 and 2. Those prices are complete guesstimates but would be total price not $2k for stage one then another $35k for a stage 2. So if you wanted a stage 3 it would be an additional $5500 to the price of the car and that would be it.

Any thought whether that would work better then just one tuned by STI package or not?

From what SOA is stating and what I've heard, the US is most likely going to get a an '08.5/'09 Tuned by STI Legacy. Now what I have a hard time with is paying $40k for a subaru. Since the LegacyGT base price is around $28k MSRP and then another $2,000 more for options/dealership markup.

Say all you want about what you pay or not pay, the point of me replying to your price model is that if you do the above, the Legacy line gets even more bloated.

If we get the Tuned by STI version (which signs point to yes....), the legacy line needs to be shifted to this:

LegacyGT Limited 5spd MT/AT nav or no nav

Spec B 6spd w/ Nav

3.0R 6spd/5spd Auto w/ Nav

LegacyGT Tuned by STI w/ 6spd w/ nav and other STI goodies.

The problem is Subaru would have to drop the Subaru GT price down $2k-3k in order to fit the Tuned by STI trim line.

That said, it'll be interesting to see what happens but it's going to be a stretch getting us Americans to spend $40k (or damn near it) for a Subaru.

From what SOA is stating and what I've heard, the US is most likely going to get a an '08.5/'09 Tuned by STI Legacy. Now what I have a hard time with is paying $40k for a subaru. Since the LegacyGT base price is around $28k MSRP and then another $2,000 more for options/dealership markup.

Say all you want about what you pay or not pay, the point of me replying to your price model is that if you do the above, the Legacy line gets even more bloated.

If we get the Tuned by STI version (which signs point to yes....), the legacy line needs to be shifted to this:

LegacyGT Limited 5spd MT/AT nav or no nav

Spec B 6spd w/ Nav

3.0R 6spd/5spd Auto w/ Nav

LegacyGT Tuned by STI w/ 6spd w/ nav and other STI goodies.

The problem is Subaru would have to drop the Subaru GT price down $2k-3k in order to fit the Tuned by STI trim line.

That said, it'll be interesting to see what happens but it's going to be a stretch getting us Americans to spend $40k (or damn near it) for a Subaru.

I don't think that they will do this. I would think that they would keep things as they are, and release a limited production of tuned by STI's for around $38,000. A limited production of this car will sell out, unlike the limited production 05' Spec B.

I don't think that they will do this. I would think that they would keep things as they are, and release a limited production of tuned by STI's for around $38,000. A limited production of this car will sell out, unlike the limited production 05' Spec B.

<whisper> Um, that would be '06, not '05. No Spec.B in '05. </whisper>

Realistically this is exactly how I see subie doing it. As of late I was just putting out different ideas Subaru could go about this. I really think if Subaru finally comes up to the plate they'd do a mix of what they did with the STi Limited and the tuned by STi Liberty. We'd get something like 500-1000 LSTis in one of two colors, with the Wrx STi's powertrain.. Otherwise the car would essentially be a Liberty Tuned by STi. People on here will grip about it, but still buy them.; Probably like the STi Limited they almost all be sold before total production is done..

I would def. not buy one....

I thought the "Limited" STI was a joke @ just under 38k....:rolleyes:

You are right thought if they build it suckers will come

Actually the STi limiteds were prices almost exactly the same as the regular STi. The only reason they costed $38k like you said is cause dealers marked them up (same as if they do come out with a tuned or LSTi) . You know there are going to be dealers that are foaming at the mouth as to how much they are going to rape you if subie comes out with a LSTi.

Why is everyone so hung up on amount of cylinders? Why do you really need this fable H6 under the hood? So you can say your engine is like a Porsche instead of a VW? Sorry but if the hp is over 300 thats a win for us consumers. Just geting a tuned by STi Legacy would be a huge step towards the right direction.

BTW the closest car to the predicted LSTi's would be a Volvo S60R which would have costed about the same, same general performance. ONly thing is guess what the Volvo has a 2.5L inline 5cyl. And the touched by the finger of god BMW 335i 3.0L twin turbo with 300/300. Don't those numbers sound real fimiliar?

For Subaru faithful it wouldn't matter....for anyone cross shopping though it would def. matter.

Yes and sheeple are going to go for the "BMW" nameoplate cause it is a "luxury" brand. If Subaru would bring out a H6 turbo I would think it would show up in the Tribeca before a Legacy.

Totally agree with the Tribeca fittment...Problem is though with the 3.6 for 08 & 87oct I see performance as the furthest thing from there mind with that application.

Look @ it this way 9/10 car shoppers would not be able to feel any of the 310-320Hp in a 2.5l STI Leggy. The dealers would have them sitting on showrooms or being short shifted @ 3k.

Like I said for the younger crowd or Scooby faithful it would be a big seller. But with that being said, how big of a buying force are we looking @ look at the Sales figures over the last 12mo....:rolleyes:

The LGT wagon is already a thing of the past:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Look @ it this way 9/10 car shoppers would not be able to feel any of the 310-320Hp in a 2.5l STI Leggy. The dealers would have them sitting on showrooms or being short shifted @ 3k.

Like I said for the younger crowd or Scooby faithful it would be a big seller. But with that being said, how big of a buying force are we looking @ look at the Sales figures over the last 12mo....:rolleyes:

THey didn't know that the STi Limited was going to be an instant hit either. So they made them a real limited production car. The same couild easily apply here. Say they make 500 for north america and that's it. Unlike what killed hte 06 spec B there would be a hp increase that may offset the price difference. It would be absolutely wonderful if SUbaru could pull of exactly what they did with the STi/ STi limited and make them a spec b almost the same price as a LSTi. I just highly doubt its going to happen.

THey didn't know that the STi Limited was going to be an instant hit either. So they made them a real limited production car. The same couild easily apply here. Say they make 500 for north america and that's it. Unlike what killed hte 06 spec B there would be a hp increase that may offset the price difference. It would be absolutely wonderful if SUbaru could pull of exactly what they did with the STi/ STi limited and make them a spec b almost the same price as a LSTi. I just highly doubt its going to happen.

They definitely should have provided a power bump for the Spec.B. If they did, I'd probably own one right now. Since they didn't, I'm waiting for the Legacy STI.

They definitely should have provided a power bump for the Spec.B. If they did, I'd probably own one right now. Since they didn't, I'm waiting for the Legacy STI.

No argument here, but I'm a sucker and got one anyway.

No argument here, but I'm a sucker and got one anyway.

Don't worry, you made a good purchase. The Spec.B is a really nice car, and I wish I had one right now. It's only because of the rumor of the LSTI that I don't currently have a Spec.B. The Spec.B was going to be my choice if the LSTI never materializes, so I'm playing a waiting game while you're enjoying your Spec.B.

Don't second-guess your purchase.

I pointlessly emailed SOA with a couple of links to here about the LSTi. Basically all I got back was a form letter saying almost word for word the answer someone else here got.

We recognize that the most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by you, a Subaru customer. We have taken the liberty of forwarding your message to our Product Planning Department for review and consideration in bringing the Legacy STi to the United States.

Thanks for your continued interest in this vehicle, and I'm sure that you'll be one of the first to hear about it IF Subaru decides to produce this model for the U.S. market. We really appreciate your enthusiasm for Subaru!!

This shows how much Subaru is listening to its customer base. My email got the digitail version of a garbage can.

I pointlessly emailed SOA with a couple of links to here about the LSTi. Basically all I got back was a form letter saying almost word for word the answer someone else here got.

We recognize that the most valued opinion of any business is that of its customers. Your comments are valuable to us in that they provide us with a clear picture of our products as seen by you, a Subaru customer. We have taken the liberty of forwarding your message to our Product Planning Department for review and consideration in bringing the Legacy STi to the United States.

Thanks for your continued interest in this vehicle, and I'm sure that you'll be one of the first to hear about it IF Subaru decides to produce this model for the U.S. market. We really appreciate your enthusiasm for Subaru!!

This shows how much Subaru is listening to its customer base. My email got the digitail version of a garbage can.

That response sounds frighteningly similar to my own. :spin:

Actually, that might be a good sign! It might indicate that they're getting so inundated with comments about and requests for the Legacy STI, that they've had to resort to form letters to keep up! (at least that's what I'm hoping)

Maybe I'll send one too, and see what I get.

Heres a response I got after lighting them up for giving me a form response.

Thank you for your message and passion for Subaru vehicles.

1. We use some standard responses; but also personalize every response.

In order to respond to each and every email we receive in a timely

manner, we do develop standard responses. But, this does not mean that

we do not read every email we receive and respond accurately.

2. With messages like your original one, we understand the passion

behind the email. If you were not interested in our products, you would

not contact us. I understand that you want a Legacy Sti. My job is to

make sure that your message is reviewed, tracked and considered by the

department that make these decisions.

3. I really wish that I could advise you of why we do not offer the

Legacy Sti in the US. These are just internal decisions made by Subaru.

For you, as our (my specifically) customer, I need to make sure that you

are heard and not just heard by me.

4. Your original message was taken as (1) you are happy with your Legacy

Spec B Sedan and (2) you would be even happier with a Legacy Sti Sedan.

That is how I responded to your message with the aid of a standard

response. I did not know about the situation with the WRX STI Ltd

Sedan, which is why I did not address that situation. It truly was not

to dismiss that situation.

Thank you Chris for your time, feedback and enthusiasm with Subaru

products. I really do hope that someday we offer the Legacy Sti in the

US to satisfy you and all of the other Legacy fans!

So there you go kids.

Archived