LegacyGT.com

Still waiting for my 3.0 GT

speed goes faster than 20mph. i love how the top end on all subarus cut out.

interior? yeah...the wrx and sti have great inerior.:lol:

come on man, quit rationalizing your switch. everyone knows the power on the evo > subaru.

Have you lived in Los Angeles? :lol:

Is reading comprehension difficult for you? I was comparing the STi interior to the Evo interior. So in that case, yes, the STi interior is great.

Just as I suspected - you've never driven an Evo and/or STi. Since it seems that you can only form opinions based on what you've read on the internet, I'm done with this thread. Good luck with your LGT. :)

-Mike-

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The STi is only the 'flagship' Subaru because it is the most powerful and fastest. In the end, it's still an econobox with hideous styling (the new ones) and screams "boy racer".

If they had a 300hp H6 legacy, it would become the king. Besides, it doesn't make sense for Subaru to say we don't want anything with a bigger "flagship" status than the Impreza STi. they are only limiting themselves, something other companies don't do.

Did BMW say that they never wanted anything faster than the M3? No.. now they have a fairly successful 335i and an even faster V8 M3.

Subaru saying that they don't want anything "better" than the Impreza STi is shooting themselves in the foot, because the rest of the competition will keep pushing for faster and better.

thank you!!! a very nice way of putting it.

also in japan...the B4.

Have you lived in Los Angeles? :lol:

Is reading comprehension difficult for you? I was comparing the STi interior to the Evo interior. So in that case, yes, the STi interior is great.

Just as I suspected - you've never driven an Evo and/or STi. Since it seems that you can only form opinions based on what you've read on the internet, I'm done with this thread. Good luck with your LGT. :)

-Mike-

if you are really arguing the sub par interior of subaru, then yes, please stop now.

ummm what??

minus awd and they aren't that bad.

mazdaspeed 6 actually has gotten 13.7 from owners stock. that beats the all mighty spec b.

IF the mazdaspeed 6 was in an auto of some sort i wouldnt be here right now.

it's got better braking, cornering, etc than the gt/3.0.

the lexus is350 whoops the ass of any stock gt/3.0. fairly close to the 1/4 mile of 06 sti. not bad for a 3.5 liter 6.

tsx is 4cylinder man and my stock 5eat...ahem...trust me, they dont stand a chance not even with my a/c on and no brake torque.

With AWD the Spec.B driven smartly gets twice the mpg of the MS6 apparently.

With real AWD that's probably as good as it gets.

What's a gt/3.0?

The Spec.B performs like a 3.5liter. No sh*t.

this thread got pretty ugly.

i will say that subarus are impressive. other cars are impressive in their own right. but since the majority of us own subarus, the good parts of the subaru matter more to us.

a lot of you are acting like the others think the legacy is god's chariot. i'm sure they know the limitations and potential of our cars just like you... we're all owners. also those mature enough to own legacys (for the most part) are not blind fanboys.

with that said i lusted for a 335i. pros and cons for that car. the biggest con was something i couldnt overcome- it was new and 20k more than i could afford. but i'm happy when i go down to the garage and see my legacy parked there.

in the end if you're happy with what you're driving, isn't all that matters?

car for sale. PM me!

apparently some people need 1000hp for daily driver especially on the way to work in traffic - and claims of subaru needing 300hp - go stage 2 and you will get a lot more than that

BMW's, Infinity's, Lexus's, etc. They are nice in their own right, but no one has Manuals...with anything good.

If you put Lexus only I would agree but I think that BMW makes manual the widest available option on any car costing 30K+.

Krzys

PS It does not mean that dealers are stocking them but you can order them a la carte and pick up in Germany for even more fun.

the original intent was.. from what I gathered, a simple comment that subaru is a bit of an old fashioned company in the way it considers its re-designs and handles its competition.

If you look at what the legacy has been in the past, you'll see that changes in the car were slow coming and up until 05 had very poor ratings from car reviewers as "slow but awd and safe" in 05 they fixed that with the LGT but as some have mentioned here, as each year progresses what was OMFGSOFAST in 05 is becoming average sedan more and more.

The only thing I got (ignoring the weirdness thats been going on) was that some of us (including myself) beleive that subaru should continue to step it up like they did in 05 and be more aggressive in their competition with other manufacturers.

As an impatient loser.. I find myself testdriving and wanting to buy new cars at LEAST every 2 years. If I love my car.. I keep it for 2 years, if I dont.. maybe 1.. right now its not cost effective..

but from my recent testdriving rounds.. what I found was pretty much that no car, even 07s that are 5-10k more than the sticker was on my LGT in 05 compare to the performance, handling or quality that I get from my subaru. As an automatic driver especially.. most new cars re going with those HORRIBLE CVT power wasters that leave me flat out angry after the test drive.

Subaru frustrates many people (SOA that is) because we as owners know it can be as good as cars in the 40ks, and some of us are willing to pay a bit more for options and performance, but SOA jst doesn't think we need it, and that forces many gadet heads and speed addicts (performance that is) away from the brand and into more expensive cars that they otherwise woudln't consider.

I would LOVE to get into a 335i right now.. but for $53k.. I think I'd rather eat old milk with a spoon than pay that much to drive around.. afterall, when you get above 40k it starts to become ridiculous.. its only transportation.

so my bottom line is.. subaru is a great company that could be better, they stepped it up with aux. in satellite radio and navi.. now we just need some RIDICULOUS hp numbers to compete with the is350s G35s 330i, 335is out there.

and one more thing as sort of a PS on that last statement. sure I know subaru is not a luxury car manufacturer.. but from what I've seen here probally 60% of the people on here like the idea of luxury sport or an everything-in-one package.. they want it all, and they want it for cheap.. pretty much everyone on this forum is a discerning customer that simply will not settle for brown bag sedans.. and I think subaru should know that and use it to its advantage to make us drool over new models. At this point, why would someone with an 05 buy an 08? other than headlights navi and xm... theres no real point in re-financing essentially the same exact car and living through the depreciation all over again.

just my .25 cents, I probablly wont read this thread again but I wanted to give my quarters worth :p

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

the 3.0r doesn't need more power.

it needs better gas mileage

the turbo h-6 is a waste of time and money for the legacy platform.

it's better suited for a for a 2 door sports car like the show car they had.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2000-2003/2003-Subaru-B11S-Concept-Fuore-FA-1024x768.jpg

Just buy an Enzo Ferrari and that'll solve all your problems.

:whore:

IBTL, as it seems this thread is deteriorating with each post by Richard B.:argue:

"Stock for Stock" is a worthless comparison as it all comes down to the benjamins, IMHO. Many people are proud Legacy owners because of the "bang for the buck." Comparing a LGT to 335 or S4 isn't valid as they are not in the same pricepoint. I can add about $2.5k in mods to a $32k SpecB and be perfectly happy with the ride and interior and get comparable performance.

There is no comparison between the Legacy & other "econoboxes" (IMHO). Sure the Camry can put up numbers like 270hp, but is there really a comparison between it and the Legacy in ride?

The IS is getting back to the bimmer pricepoint. I looked into it as I think its a great looking car, but the pricepoint just gets back into the stratosphere for me. The IS is truly designed to compete with BMW and should not be compared to a stock Legacy as they are not priced in the same category and you will see no comparisons in the press between it and a stock LGT for a reason.

Now, when you add mods to the equation, you have valid basis for comparison. A great example came a few weeks ago, comparing a modded LGT with an Audi S4 (I can't find the link, but the test was in the Pacific NorthWest). Or this post last week with a track comparo.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, Dollar for Dollar, the Legacy GT holds its own with the competition. I wouldn't be here otherwise...

:munch:

IBTL too!!:) Summed up well.^^ Comparing a Subaru to any of the "Luxury" imports is not a comparison worth reading. I unfortunately wasted some time reading Richard B.'s(?) comparison on apples and Orangutans. Lexus was "hatched" by Toyota to compete with the likes of BMW, "lesser" Mercedes, and yes even Audis. The same statement applies to Infinty and Acura. Their are many many Economic dynamics that apply as to why they were created, but that's just it, it was done due to economic paradigm shifts. They cost not just a few $$ more but some are 2x and then some more than the LGT. I got mine in Aug. 2005 for <$24,000. Not sure how much the Beemer Mike was referring to costs, but it's a bit more than I can afford plus I need AWD. Now the original topic was "where the hell is my 3.0 LGT TT??? I like the idea, love it actually, but it puts me in the same boat as before, I can't afford a mortgage, 2 kids, an ex-wife, health insurance ANNNNNDDDD a $40,000 H6 turbo'd Suby!!:mad: Love to see it tho. I'm wagering that SOA (aka; SOL) took that into consideration as well.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I could have bought the IS, GS, 335 (I had a 2001 3 series), G35 (I had a 2003), S4 (I had a 2000), or several other vehicles but the Legacy won.

It is definitely a factor that I could spend a few dollars and get a generous performance increase. Also, virtually all the shortcoming of the LGT were fairly easily remidied with a few upgrades.

If only Subaru would build a two door or free-style-door pseudo-coupe.

A turbo H6 would be fantastic. 3.6 liter would be good.

But I am not all that confident, in reality. They should, but I doubt they will.

Maybe someday when I am debt free, and more of my net income is

free and clear, maybe I'll work on a Subaru-Turbo6 powered car.

I would love to build a mid-engined kit-car, or retro-fit that engine into an 2nd-Gen MR2.

I wonder if anyone has put an STI drivetrain into a VW-style Rear-engine chassis, with the AWD intact, and the engine rotation direction and AWD-bias reversed. water-cooled, Rear-boxer-engine, turbo AWD, like a 996 or 997 Porsche, but probably less expensive. Maybe.

I have to go with that sort of thing, because I just don't see Subaru doing much of anything.

The only more interesting powerplant, than a boxer, or rotary, to my taste, would be a Hartley H1 V8. 2.8 flat-crank liters, 400hp out of 200lbs of engine without forced induction. Built with twin turbos, or rotrex superchargers, it could quite likely best the 288GTO or F40 ferrari V8s of similar displacement. And that is based on the now-replaced older Hayabusa cylinder blocks mated to a common crankshaft. I wonder if an "H2 V8" is in development, with the newly released Hayabusa's increased displacement cylinders. Probably not a great engine for a big highway car, but seems like a fantastic engine for a light sports car. The engine was originally conceived for a Caterham/Lotus type car, which is quite small and light. The engine looks like it is worth it's 30k pricetag, considering the development requirement for a CNC dry-sump crank-case, double-cam-drive crankshaft, and flywheel plate for several different transmission options. http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

I am all for a turbo 6 Legacy, but at a certain point, I just want to go to a true sports car for my driving thrills, and a shoving more power into a family car tends to get diminishing returns. Fun, definitely; practical, perhaps not so much. They do keep throwing power after curb-weight though. Cars get heavier, and necessitate more power for performance.

I do wish Subaru would try something, though.

All, please read my sig. I think you may be surprised.

Cliff Notes:

Considering Price, 2006 Legacy GT Spec.B > Audi A4 S-line, Infiniti G35x, BMW 325xi, MazdaSpeed 6, Volvo S40 T5 AWD, and Lexus IS250 AWD.

These cars are all similar price and AWD. And THAT is what the Legacy should be compared to, IMHO.

lol

the 3.0r doesn't need more power.

it needs better gas mileage

Exactly. The 3.0L is dead to me. Boring and fuel inefficient. So the chances of a turbocharged H6 from Subaru is about as likely as me seeing an 8 cylinder from Subaru in my lifetime, or even a vehicle big enough to put it in.

Wow, some hostility going on here. The cars listed in the op are definitely not even the same class as the lgt and nowhere in price. LGT's are listed with Passat, TSX, Camry, Accord, Altima, A4, IS250, G35, Mazaspeed6, S60.

If you want a stock drag car (is there such a thing?), the legacy isn't it. It's quick, but it's not fast. For the money it offers great performance, reliability, safety, and comfort. The reason people are quick to point out aftermarket with Subaru's is because of the cost of aftermarket parts. $15k into a Subaru will yield far higher gains than $15K into a BMW. The Subaru is going to cost less to maintain over its lifetime, which pays for the car in and of itself over a BMW. It's not that everyone has the $15K for aftermarket, or will even spend $15K to modify their cars. But if you take a stock legacy gt and spend $15k, and take a stock m3 and spend $15K. As if you couldn't already see the value in a Subaru, I sure hope you would after that experiment and 5 years of ownership.

The reason I took my LGT over any of those was not because of numbers, but because of the fun and value the car comes with. No car in its direct competition is as much fun to drive and none of them offer the same price/performance ratio. Most are not AWD, and most of them cost more than the LGT if not stock for stock, once you add up all the options that come standard on the LGT. And ALL of them are ugly imho.

Richard, I think you bought the wrong car. Don't be sour about it, trade it in for your 335xi if that is what makes you happy. Neither are the king of all cars. If you want a drag car, you will be sorely depressed when you take your 335 out. And then you will start saying its not as good as a rs8.

There are Impreza's over 1000hp, no its not common place and no its not cheap. If you want a import drag car, it doesn't come much easier than a supra. I 1000hp impreza is very impressive, and to be able to get that out of a 4 cyl? What is that term again? No replacement for ... ?

I'm not brand loyal either, if a wanted performance over what my spec.b offered I would have gotten an evo. The list of cars between this and a 911 that I would ever consider is very short. When I bought my car I knew the suspension, brakes and engine were going to need some work, but I loved the style, fit & finish, comfort and fun over anything short of twice its price. There was no debate. But, i'm just one person, and everyone has their taste. My friend had a 328, and now has a x3 and z4. He will not push it around a corner and will never engage in a road race. But he loves the prestige of owning those cars, and gets a good feeling of driving a powerful car even if it never sees 100+ mph. He has driven my car and absolutely loves it, he is always comparing it to his cars in every department. I have yet to drive his cars because he always wants to go in mine.

Archived