LegacyGT.com

Official Turbo Stutter Complaint Petition

I simply told the dealer that I had the stutter/acceleration problem. They agreed it was doing "something". Then, when the folks on this site said Subaru released a flash, I took it back. I printed out these pages as proof- but they didn't need it. They found the service bulletin, downloaded the flash from the Subaru website, did it and I've never looked back. White Allen Subaru in Dayton, OH did it.

It's been fine ever since.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the sb is for 07/08 manual lgt's and spec's only, people have had different results with the dealer reflash including lower power, worse gas mileage and even the stutter coming back.

05/06 also had a similar non-functional reflash. the two things you can do is drive the car in a manner which avoids wot at 2500-3000 rpm, or get a stage 1 or 2 ecu flash from a tuner.

i guess i will try to bring it to the dealer and see what happens....it seems to be better when its cold but then again it fluxuates so much that its hard to determine. Since the plug change i think the computer is starting to recognize better performance so it is smoother but like i said it just did it today really bad....mf..I NEED REFLASH

i guess i will try to bring it to the dealer and see what happens....it seems to be better when its cold but then again it fluxuates so much that its hard to determine. Since the plug change i think the computer is starting to recognize better performance so it is smoother but like i said it just did it today really bad....mf..I NEED REFLASH

I've noticed the opposite. I have an 07 GT manual, and find that the car runs a lot smoother when it is warm as opposed to cold. The dealer says I have the most current software on the ECU, they reflased it sometime last year. I get the stutter now and then, but much more in the cold weather.

what reflash "was just posted" for 05-06 GT/XT's ????

I am still being told "there is no reflash for your 2006 Legacy GT".

stutter still sucks AZZ, 100% OEM car, 0% aftermarket, and it just turned over 30,000 miles (!). Is even prevalent in high gear when you go WFO, in a highway roll-on.

am going to borrow an AccessPort and re-flash myself after the standard Subaru warranty goes out. (that is, in case Subaru can't remedy this problem on their own, which I don't have confidence that they can/will)

:mad::mad:

the interesting thing is that i had no problem for 48000 but at 48000 my turbo blew up because of the uppipe that was on didnt have enough back pressure for the turbo. Subaru replaced the engine and turbo and now 20000 after that i get a stutter...does this possibly mean that the turbos are bad???

the interesting thing is that i had no problem for 48000 but at 48000 my turbo blew up because of the up pipe that was on didn't have enough back pressure for the turbo. Subaru replaced the engine and turbo and now 20000 after that i get a stutter...does this possibly mean that the turbos are bad???

Well this leaves the question, has anyone tried comparing our stock turbo with an after market one? Was the same tune used for the after market turbo as it was used on the OEM turbo? Were the results the same? If the results are the same, then could it be how the car is mapped? How about the way the car breathes?

Too many variables. :eek:

Well this leaves the question, has anyone tried comparing our stock turbo with an after market one? Was the same tune used for the after market turbo as it was used on the OEM turbo? Were the results the same? If the results are the same, then could it be how the car is mapped? How about the way the car breathes?

Too many variables. :eek:

After market turbo on stock map = major fail, so I doubt you are going to find that comparison around here. It is the sub-optimal tuning, not the turbos. I don't think I have heard of stutter complaints from anyone stage 1 or 2.

I reset my ecu at the track 2 weeks ago and only once felt any sign of hesitation the entire day. I haven't driven the car since, but I usually drive pretty sane on the street and it's not much of an issue for me. I will be going stage 2 this month before I get back to the track and end this crap once and for all.

The subaru flash for 07/08 is a joke, it reduces the power output, makes the fuel economy very poor and the hesitation can still be felt (albeit less frequently). I have come to the conclusion to not hold my breath waiting for them. Atleast I have notified the dealer that I still have the problem even after being flashed, so I would be able to get the fix (if one ever came out) after the warranty expires, but not after going stage 2 and hopefully it wouldn't be needed then.

what should i say when i go to the dealership and do i get charged even if i dont want the fix...how much is the reflash and can any dealership do it. it isnt under warranty?

The dealers are aware and should take care of it. Somewhere on these boards is a TSB. I just printed a copy of it and brought it with me to the service manager. My computer as reflashed no questions asked. You could also just go with a Cobb AP :-)

Has anyone noticed this issue in 09 lgts? Or has it been resolved?

I've been driving pretty easy through the first 1k and havent noticed anything yet myself.

I have an '09 LGT. The hesitation is felt around 3K to 3.5K. Albeit slight. During the first 1K, I drove the car like a grandma and never left the Intelligent map in the SI drive config. After 1050 mi, I opened the car up on S# mode and did not feel a stutter until I reached 2K mi.

It does not happen often. It happens randomly at best. However I have noticed on colder mornings, the car stutters more in that RPM range.

And yes, I do warm my car up first before driving. Especially on warmer days. I never drive until I give the engine enough time to circulate the oil, knowing how badly our cars starve for oil. Oof!

I have an '09 LGT. The hesitation is felt around 3K to 3.5K. Albeit slight. During the first 1K, I drove the car like a grandma and never left the Intelligent map in the SI drive config. After 1050 mi, I opened the car up on S# mode and did not feel a stutter until I reached 2K mi.

It does not happen often. It happens randomly at best. However I have noticed on colder mornings, the car stutters more in that RPM range.

And yes, I do warm my car up first before driving. Especially on warmer days. I never drive until I give the engine enough time to circulate the oil, knowing how badly our cars starve for oil. Oof!

that should take all of about 30 sec. the car will be warm enough for s# after about 4 city blocks.

i went to dealer they said that they wanted 90 dollar estimate fee but if they found it was a part that would be warrantied they would fix it and or reflash for up to 80000 and then give the 90 back. i convinced the service manager to come for a ride and when we went for it the car did nothing and ran perfect like it was brand new..figures. wat should i do now

• 1 month later...
well had my 05gt Automatic, reflashed sat by a tech buddy of mine. stutter seems to be gone, but so does my power.. this is about as slow as a N/A now. anyone else seem to have the problem? can i just get a different flash back to normal? instead of this crap!? nothing modded or changed. 60K mi

i went to dealer they said that they wanted 90 dollar estimate fee but if they found it was a part that would be warrantied they would fix it and or reflash for up to 80000 and then give the 90 back. i convinced the service manager to come for a ride and when we went for it the car did nothing and ran perfect like it was brand new..figures. wat should i do now

HAHA same thing happened to me.So I got fed up with it and just flashed stage 2 problem solved.

wat did u use for the flash to stage 2...will that screw anything else up or do i need mods for the stage 2 flash?? i am getting sick of having the fast looking slow car....that stutters...aarg

Originally posted by smokinduc

...Somewhere on these boards is a TSB. I just printed a copy of it and brought it with me to the service manager. My computer as reflashed no questions asked...

Worked for me too. I got the reflash on June 18th and so far so good. It looks like my gas mileage has gone up about 1-2 mpg and I don't think I have lost any power, if so its subtle. It feels like it did when I first drove it off the lot. I'm really glad I did this. I've had the stutter for almost two years now and it felt like it was slowly getting worse. I really, really hope this sticks.

Hanslo

I have the stutter in my 09 GT, it happened today right around 2500 rpm. It happened a few times before, its hard to recreate it. So I'm guessing I'm going to have to swing by the dealer and get it reflashed.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Originally Posted by Crave35:

ur legacy is an 07 and the reflash i have of the stutter is only for 07s and 08s..mine is an 06 does this at all matter??

Yeah, I guess it does matter. Hopefully your dealer will know about the reflashes and whether or not one exists for the '05 & '06. Possibly it might help if you have the pack file# from the 07/08 TSB they can find a pack file# for yours (maybe..?).

Good luck,

Hanslo

Don't know which part caused the stutter to go away because I did all three at the same time. I replaced the up and hollowed out the 2nd cat. and installed a turbo inlet hose and the stutter is gone. Don't know if it will help everyone but it worked for me.

Don't know which part caused the stutter to go away because I did all three at the same time. I replaced the up and hollowed out the 2nd cat. and installed a turbo inlet hose and the stutter is gone. Don't know if it will help everyone but it worked for me.

Mine went away when I installed an SPT intake 2 days ago... :confused:

Archived