LegacyGT.com

My Uppipe install (with pictures...)

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None of us knows what we're doing here! We don't even own LGTs! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Do what you want, but I'd save yourself the hassel and buy new dps ones too. But, hey good luck with the install, its fun!

Yeah, that's what "they" tell me. But honestly, I haven't had an extremely difficult time doing any work on this car as of yet. But i'm used to GM FWD V6 cars with small engine bays so...yeah. Spark plugs on the LGT were nothing compared to me old Grand Am GT :cool:

My STi uppipe just came in today! But a couple things...

1. It has a broken stud (which I knew about). But what I didn't know is that the stud is broken off inside the flange, so now i'm trying to drill it out. Lame. I ordered a new stud and it'll take like a week to get here, but in the meantime I have to deal with this.

2. Half the heatshield is loose. I didn't know about this at all. The whole thing slides up and down a little. Now i'm trying to decide if I want to keep the heat shield on and pay someone to tack weld it, or if I want to cut it off. What do you guys think? I do want to maintain a stock appearance, but do you think an uppipe without heat shields will stand out?

• 1 month later...
A side note (not sure if it was mentioned earlier or not). I found that it was nearly impossible to get the uppipe out with simply lifting the engine a little. We ended up removing a bolt from the engine mount (right by the exhaust manifold) and then lifting the engine a lot. Of course we were using a lift. But it was much easier that way.

A side note (not sure if it was mentioned earlier or not). I found that it was nearly impossible to get the uppipe out with simply lifting the engine a little. We ended up removing a bolt from the engine mount (right by the exhaust manifold) and then lifting the engine a lot. Of course we were using a lift. But it was much easier that way.

I did the same.

On my '05... I don't even need to lift the engine or remove the mount bolt... it just twists 90 degress... a little wiggle... then out.

On my '05... I don't even need to lift the engine or remove the mount bolt... it just twists 90 degress... a little wiggle... then out.

I have an '05 as well. I suppose if you removed the EGT sensor completely, then it would wiggle out. But you also want to be careful around those aluminum cylinder heads.

Whether or not you need to jack the engine a little - or if the factory UP just slips out (with or without some contorting, with or without the EGT sensor) - seems to depend rather heavily on just how your particular car was put together.

I also couldn't get my UP out of there, without jacking the engine...I had two other Subaru enthusiasts with me, so it wasn't just me being stupid. :lol:

FWIW, it just varies. My recommendation to those undertaking hte UP mod is to simply be aware that this *could* be an issue, and know how to take care of it (and have a jack available), if it should come up - no pun intended. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived