LegacyGT.com

My Uppipe install (with pictures...)

Yikes. Top side removal is being a little more difficult than I expected- The inboard bracket bolts on the top side are both difficult to access and incredibly tight. I'm tempted to put all that crap back together, head under the car and do it the 'normal' way. Also time to buy a larger variety of wrenches and sockets!

Subadozer, thanks for the note about the resistor. Is there any point to doing the resistor if you're going to clear the CEL with a tune?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subadozer, thanks for the note about the resistor. Is there any point to doing the resistor if you're going to clear the CEL with a tune?

This is what I have in my notes. According to the last note and in answer to your question it looks like the answer is no.

Replace EGT / O2 Sensor with two 1/2 watt 2.2 OHM resistors

2.2 K ohm, 1/2W. Alternatively, the 1/4W will work, too, if you can find any 1/2 Watt'ers, but there have been past reports from the WRX crowd that the 1/4s burn out sometimes.

Bend the resistor into a "U" shape.

Trace the UP EGT wiring to its proximal end-point, unhook that clip. Insert one end of the "U" into each side of the now-exposed female socket. You'll likely need to trim off a little extra length on the resistor's ends to do so.

Tape in-place securely.

7/8" box wrench may work as an O2 sensor wrench.

A resistor fix is not needed if you get a protune. They should be able to turn off the error.

I have no resistor fix and have no CEL for not having a sensor.

You guy's know its easier to use bolts on the up pipe to bolt the turbo back on.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4783.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OK, all done with the UP. I did not have to remove any of the exhaust manifolds or cross pipes or anything- But that's due to the turbo being MIA right now. The upper brackets, UP, and oil line make for a confusing puzzle to disassemble- I would highly recommend lots of various wrenches and trying different plans of attack to get them removed if you're attacking this from the top. In the end I loosened the starboard side engine mount and jacked the engine up just a bit to get the pipe out.

I'm going to cut away the little piece of the exhaust manifold heat shield that's above the 02 sensor in case I ever take this stuff apart again- I can't believe they made that a cutout hole. What a damn PITA :boggle:

BNR 18g showed up today! Just waiting on the gaskets now...

Archived