LegacyGT.com

My Uppipe install (with pictures...)

Typically, DP bolts.

Whether you have to re-tighten is a variable issue - I actually had NONE of my bolts really come loose...maybe just one, but it was not by much at all.

A heat cycle or two should do it, and honestly, I'd feel better checking them sooner rather than later - and then double-checking a few more days down the line. I checked mine one day later, after about 20 cumulative miles (and 4 heat cycles) - and then again that next weekend.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Just bought a similar UP, just wondering what type of resistor and where does it go exactly? Thanks.

2.2 Kohm, 1/2W. Alternatively, the 1/4W will work, too, if you can find any 1/2 Watt'ers, but there have been past reports from the WRX crowd that the 1/4s burn out sometimes.

Bend the resistor into a "U" shape.

Trace the UP EGT wiring to its proximal end-point, unhook that clip. Insert one end of the "U" into each side of the now-exposed female socket. You'll likely need to trim off a little extra length on the resistor's ends to do so.

Tape in-place securely. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

NP. ;)

They're cheap, too - pack of 5 from RadioShack is only a few bucks. :)

• 5 months later...

damn after reading this i have an uppipe leak.....anyone wanna fix it for me ???? lol its soo cold and i had a warm shop to work in for 1 day now i have to do it over in the cold!!! Anyway to for sure check if it is at the tubro or the exhaust manifold?? (dont wanna break anymore clips on the underbody cover

do you think its ok to drive for a week like this being i will be workin

It is important which bolts you tighten first? Do you tighten the UP to exhaust manifold first, or the UP to turbo bolts?

Yep... each vender has their own order.

I have found that the following works best for me.

I assemble everything finger tight.

Then I torque the uppipe to turbo flange. (I want this one square since it is the hardest to fix later).

Then I torque the manifold to head flanges.

Then I torque the cross over pipe.

And finally... I torque the lower uppipe flange.

When this is all in and tight... then I put in the downpipe. ;)

mccorry, pm me about the resistor fix. also, i may contact you about coming up for an install, up+down.

The resistor fix is pretty easy. You need a 2.2k ohm resistor (IIRC).

Bend the resistor into a U-shape and trim the leads to around 1/2".

Then just push it into the EGT plug (the car side... not the probe side, which you are removing ;) ) and put some black electrical tape over it to hold it in and keep the water out.

As far as an up/down install... it will be tough to get it this time of the year. Are you in a rush or can you wait until after the holidays?

• 7 months later...

I'm hoping to do the up/dp this weekend(sat.). If anyone in the Buffalo NY

area wants to stop by and help feel free:lol:!!!!!!!

By the way, does anyone know how the stage 2 cobb map

will run if i dont do the CBE?

Sounds: What about a moderately loud "sshhhhhhh" sound when you step on it (not a whistle)? What's weird is it seems to come and go, sometimes more prevalent when cold.

It's probably in my head, but seems to lose a little power when loud, better when quiet. The whole "3rd gear pull from 50 to 80 mph" is a great poor man's dyno check (gotta account for temp and humidity...) I need to do to see if it's changed. I am about a half second slower, but a little warmer out than last I measured a few months back.

I'm hoping to do the up/dp this weekend(sat.). If anyone in the Buffalo NY

area wants to stop by and help feel free:lol:!!!!!!!

By the way, does anyone know how the stage 2 cobb map

will run if i dont do the CBE?

NP, I asked Christian at Cobb if that was feasible after putting on just the DP and he said that the stock CBE is free flowing enough to enjoy the gains from stage 2.

Enjoy!

Cool, its being delivered today and going on sat.!!! my buddy has an STI and

has done this on a WRX before so that should help.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm usually wrenching on my mr2 spyder, now thats a real PITA!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread has been around forever but here's my $.02. Had the same loud turbo noise, only when in boost. Checked and rechecked everthing from the manifold on back about 5-6 times and nothing ever seemed to work so finally I just said #@%* it and left it. The car never seemed to lose power and using AP, never saw a reduction in boost (always went into 14-15 PSI range).

In addition, I never had a CEL and prior to deploying, my dad drove it 2200 miles back to WI and had no issues. I will say that the noise is borderline obnoxious and sounds like a loud fluttering whistle. I'm attributing this as wastegate flutter. Am I all messed up with this diagnosis? BTW, heat shields never went back on and the UP and DP are both from Cobb.

Archived