LegacyGT.com

My Uppipe install (with pictures...)

any thoughts on using an STi uppipe? Cars got about 40K on it, and i was going to re-use the gaskets but I have no spare car if anything goes wrong :(

I was thinking this was a fairly easy "unbolt, pull out, put in, rebolt" procedure, but now Im all worried!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll have no issues with an STi uppipe. Just reuse your OEM Suabaru gaskets.

My issues were because the ERZ uppipe isn't compatible with stock gaskets... and I didn't know that going in.

Yeah if you search my previous panic attacks from last year when I did my entire install myself....wow...it was insane....

I'm pretty sure it ended up being that dang uppipe.

I ripped it all out and did it again.

This time I doubled the gaskets and tightened everything a little differently.

IT was instant. The noise was gone and amazingly (knock on wood right now)j never came back.

How long should it take to take off the bolts, install STi Uppipe and gut the down while im in there?

I havent done any Major mods like this yet in my career, should I get some help with this one? Most of my experiance has been electrical...

did it today.. took about an hour and a half to get everything off.. first time to do it so it took longer.. i installed a flow shorty to replace the cat after so i did not have to gut it..

all together it ended up around 4 hours but it was not constant work.. could be done in 3 hours if you work constantly on it or less

i'd suggest taking your time and make sure its done right so you don't have to do anything else

btw.. way easier if you take the passanger side manifold off to get the up out :)

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

Be sure you get some P.B Blaster for the header bolts. I also loosened the motor mount and jacked the engine up to wiggle the Uppipe out of the way. I also had good luck putting the uppipe on the headers and then putting the whole thing in as a unit that way I could tighten the thing really easy and once you the it in just snug a nut or 2 on the headers to hold her in place. GL and you love it...for awhile and then you will need more and more and more...that why I hate this car. Where the hell is my meth at anyway!??!!

• 1 month later...
I'm doing my uppipe at the end of this week. Lots of great info here. But with most things I do, I'm sure it won't be easy. I have a megan racing flex uppipe. Has anyone had any problems with this uppipe? Are the gaskets that came with the pipe from megan sufficient?

• 1 month later...

Flex UP: Does this really help eliminate leaks vs a rigid UP? Seems like leaks are fairly common on installs, so if a flex helps, would be nice.

Can you get a high velocity UP that is flex too, or are those mutually exclusive (e.g. mad headers have high velocity, but rigid).

I unfortunately can't answer the second one for you. :redface:

However, with respect to your first question, yes, theoretically, the flex-section in the middle should help you achieve better flange-to-flange mating on either end of the pipe. However, just as theoretically :lol: , a properly installed rigid UP shouldn't present any more leakage problems, either.

As I see it, this is one of those personal preference issues. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Heck, bro :) - I've got the Crucial (fixed), and even with the Crucial copper gaskets, I *still* have no leaks. ;)

Like you said, as long as the labor's done right, there should be no issues, no matter what (well...short of a warped flange, of course!).

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

• 2 weeks later...

However, with respect to your first question, yes, theoretically, the flex-section in the middle should help you achieve better flange-to-flange mating on either end of the pipe. However, just as theoretically :lol: , a properly installed rigid UP shouldn't present any more leakage problems, either.

100% agreed.

My wife's balls are delicious.

^ But in-practice, there's plenty of us here who run one-piece UPs - and have done so for years (and many, many miles) - with no problems. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
im not looking forward to doing this now looking at the pictures...lol:(

Honestly, it's not that bad.

If you can change your own oil and filter, you can do this. :)

Just make sure you've got all the tools (and whatever "backup" was listed through the many posts here that's "nice to have," if you don't have someone available to bail you out by driving you to the car-parts store or the hardware store on an "oh crap, I need this" basis), and take it slow, and you'll be fine.

DriftMonkey helped bolster my confidence, when I was just about to get into this project, by saying the following:

"It's not hard, just tedious."

I agree fully with this statement, and it's also what I like to pass-along to others. :wub:

Read through the entire thread, make notes of what people did when faced with situation X or Y. Gather your tools, and devote some good time to doing this. You'll be just fine. :)

is this a one man job? working on ramps with hand tools? with a lift and air tools most things are one man jobs but I'm just curious how difficult it would be with just myself on my back in the driveway? I've looked in the engine compartment and everything seems accessable but is there anyting thats a real b*tch to get to?

i've been looking ot go stg 2 for over 8 months now and I'm just tired of waiting. Lookig to take a day off from work tomorrow and tackle this job but I really dont want to waste a day off of work only to frustrate the sh*t out of myself. If I "man-up" and start tongiht I planne don removing the plastics and turbo heat shield and spraying everything down with PB Blaster and starting first thing tomorrow morning (say 9am), someone please convince me to do this!

thanks.

I had the fun of having a friend with me. :)

But yes, this can be done by one person, with either jackstands or ramps, and common hand-tools.

I did just what you did - put the car up the night before, took off all that I could, and sprayed penetrant to all bolts/nuts.

Best of luck!

One tip - if you're going to be doing it one-man/one-car, you should be absoutely sure you've got all "what if" tools/extras necessary. The thread here will help guide you as to the kind of "just in case" stuff. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

thanks TSI, I'm pretty much convinced i just need a littl epush LOL. Yeah the friend would be there for moral support (and to hand me stuff) and really just to have someone to bounce things off of.

i have pretty much everything i need all lined up with the exception of the resitor and copper sealant spray which I can pick up tonight. I may need to get a wrench for the o2 sensor since it seems to be burried below the heat shields. but i'll have access to a car if i need to run to the store for anyting.

thanks for the reply.

Archived