LegacyGT.com

So which synthetic oil do you use??

So which synthetic oil do you use??  

194 members have voted

1. 1. So which synthetic oil do you use??

• Mobil 1
    • Castrol GC
    • Redline
    • Amsoil
    • Motul
    • Royal purple
    • Pennzoil Platinum
    • other

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Specifically, it was sold in the US as Castrol Syntec, 0W30, with made in germany on the back. The different batch numbers indicated whether it was green or gold stuff, iirc both had excellent results with UOAs. I have no idea if GC is still available in canada, but look for 0w30 weight and made in germany.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

If I remember correctly Canadian tire had GC 0W-30 and IIRC the local CDN tire still had 4L jugs. However, I think that Canadian Tire has stopped restocking the 4L jugs of 0W-30 but there still out there...

Hmmmmmm........

I may just make the switch over to AMSoil.......been researching it over the weekend.

I change my P.P. every 3500 miles & if I could get 7k out of the AMSoil & still have the same to better protection levels......:):):):)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Rotella-T Synthetic 5w40 is in my LGT's crankcase as of now.

I have used Amsoil 5w40, Castrol Syntec 10w30, Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 and Mobil1 10w30 in the past. All have been great with consumption with the exception of the Mobil1, which my car consumed more of between OCIs.

is it bad to switch back and forth between different brands, like between mobile 1 and valvoline maxlife (both syn)? i'm asking that because i got some left over of valvoline maxlife, wondering if i should use it later. also is it bad to use maxlife when my engine doesn't have that many miles?

Be careful.....

I just saw a RBP LGT in a Cinci Subaru dealership last Thursday getting it's engine tugged. I asked the service guy and his comment was "I don't care what synthetic oil you use.... you can't go 15K miles on it!".

True story.

So far, I'm using dino oil(less than 1k on the odo). But I will switch over probably around 10k to Amsoil 5W-30 and use the Subie filters. I'll keep it safe and switch every 5k, unless I get ADD and switch it at 3k.

Be careful.....

I just saw a RBP LGT in a Cinci Subaru dealership last Thursday getting it's engine tugged. I asked the service guy and his comment was "I don't care what synthetic oil you use.... you can't go 15K miles on it!".

True story.

I'm on my 3rd 15k oil change on the GT & the 2nd of my g/f's WRX [2.0L]. Both cars are running fine. If Amsiol wasn't doing it's job. Those motors or at least the turbo, would been toast by now. If soming does happen. Amsoil warranty will pay for it.

Mike.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

AMSoil is a great product I agree......

but those mfr. warranties.......:rolleyes: I def. would not bet my engine on it. If I were running AMSoil I would still change every 7k. That is double the interval I do on my PP

Now I do keep the AMSoil filter on for 2 changes

AMSoil is a great product I agree......

but those mfr. warranties.......:rolleyes: I def. would not bet my engine on it. If I were running AMSoil I would still change every 7k. That is double the interval I do on my PP

Now I do keep the AMSoil filter on for 2 changes

If you trust Amsoil filter to go the distance, Why not thier oil?

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

2 changes for me is 7k...

The filter is still doing a good job @ that point but I'm just not willing to extend it to over 10k. By changing every other change the price works out to be about the same as the OEM filter.

No issues when switching from one brand of synthetics to another. Just do not switch back & forth from synthetic to dino;)

sweet, from now on, i'm just gonna buy whatever name brand syn that's on sale. :p

Oh.. and if an oil is one color going in, should it be the same when drained or will it go brown? My RP oil was brown on the dipstick...

Oil absorbs fuel, contaminants, carbon, etc. while it is circulating throughout the engine, it will normally come out brown regardless of what color it was going in.

Archived