LegacyGT.com

So which synthetic oil do you use??

So which synthetic oil do you use??  

194 members have voted

1. 1. So which synthetic oil do you use??

• Mobil 1
    • Castrol GC
    • Redline
    • Amsoil
    • Motul
    • Royal purple
    • Pennzoil Platinum
    • other

2 changes for me is 7k...

The filter is still doing a good job @ that point but I'm just not willing to extend it to over 10k. By changing every other change the price works out to be about the same as the OEM filter.

Oops, sorry I thought you was changing your oil every 7k & filter every other oil change.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're using Mobil I in all our company cars now, except one. We have two Accord V6's, so one is being run on dino, one on Mobil 1.

We change everything at 7,500 except our Chevy van, which has an oil life system and usually lights up at around 9,000 miles.

The analysis we've done on the past showed that everything - dino or synthetic - was still in safe condition at 7500 mile intervals.

My wife's Mazda MPV is changed at 5,000 because it's driven in the city (hard on vehicles) and easier to remember that way. And Mazda doesn't recommend synthetic for some reason.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Be careful.....

I just saw a RBP LGT in a Cinci Subaru dealership last Thursday getting it's engine tugged. I asked the service guy and his comment was "I don't care what synthetic oil you use.... you can't go 15K miles on it!".

True story.

If you check your oil levels, should be good. You could be like me and change your mobil 1 oil every 3k and have your turbo go out at 35,900miles. As long as you check your oil, the molecules I've heard in most synthetic won't break down till 20,000 miles. I'm not saying i would ever go over 3k between oil changes, but I'm paranoid about my oil and I know that I don't have to be changing so frequently but nevertheless, I do it like a lemming.

• 1 month later...
With GC off the shelves at Autozone, I'm looking to switch to Pennzoil Platinum when I visit the dealership this Friday. I'm located in the DC area where summers are HOT and HUMID. Should I go with 10W-30 for the next 4 months or stick with 5W-30? Everyone who's on PP here seems to go for 10W-30, but thought I'd ask...

Same Kind of question. During the fall, winter, and spring months I live in a cooler climate, however over the summer I live in the DC area and it is hot and humid.

I have been thinking about making the change to synthetic. I have been using dino for the life of the car (Almost 19k)

AMSOIL 5w-30 with the filter sounds nice :)

• 3 weeks later...
Same Kind of question. During the fall, winter, and spring months I live in a cooler climate (SW VA Mountains), however over the summer I live in the DC area and it is hot and humid.

I have been thinking about making the change to synthetic. I have been using dino for the life of the car (Almost 19k)

AMSOIL 5w-30 with the filter sounds nice :)

Anybody?

I live in central NY. I use Amsoil oil & filter 0-w30 all year round.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1302295&postcount=42

You must lose oil like crazy. I'm running 10w40 and considered going thicker in the summer. 10w40 is speced to run a -4F and higher, which is fine.

Thin oils are only for fuel economy and low temperatures.

You must lose oil like crazy. I'm running 10w40 and considered going thicker in the summer. 10w40 is speced to run a -4F and higher, which is fine.

Thin oils are only for fuel economy and low temperatures.

Ya, a qt, every 7k;) not bad.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived