LegacyGT.com

Official Spec Clutches And Flywheel Group Buy

groff

groff. Max Capacity and crash

Any chatter from the set up, any at all?

With a gain in performance there's always a loss of drivability, on a day-to-day basis, what is lost? How's it like driving under 2000 rpm?

I've been watching the threads and I'm still trying to decide the best clutch.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't think i have a very fair opinion, given that i didnt have a working pilot bearing on my flywheel. my impressions of the setup were somewhere in this thread i thought, but yes, there is a sweet spot to my setup (granted its a stage 3+ clutch...one below full race non street application...rated for 480 ftlbs of torque), it is driveable at any speeds (i don't idle below 1000rpms so i couldn't tell you about that yet until i get tuned). not much time was spent below 2000rpms for me. the flywheel does rev really quickly and i'm looking forward to getting my setup working again.

again i don't have a fair opinion on the performance vs. lost part. theres not much left in my system that is comparable to a stock or even stage 2 legacy, so i've given up a lot of drivability in my setup (again until i get tuned) for practically no performance...yet.

Thanks groff, Max Capacity, crash?

groff. Max Capacity and crash

Any chatter from the set up, any at all?

With a gain in performance there's always a loss of drivability, on a day-to-day basis, what is lost? How's it like driving under 2000 rpm?

I've been watching the threads and I'm still trying to decide the best clutch.

he was the prototype car for SPEC, i'm pretty sure he got his first :lol:

Well I'm happily driving mine. Sorry about that.

You'll get your's up and running soon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks groff, Max Capacity, crash?

I would say the car has a 95-98 % OEM driveability.

Today coming into work I tried to think about the old feel and the new. The clutch pedel is getting closer the the old, but the grab is like the new.

The chatter is 99% gone. It can take off slow or fast and the don't get chatter. Like I said above I've even stalled the car taking off so slow and no chatter.

Even today in traffic at a stop light, I had to push the clutch back in a little because the car two cars didn't move when the light changed to green. I finished letting the clutch out and got may be a slight hint of chatter.

The more I drive the clutch and Spec flywheel the happier I'am with them.

I would say to Spec, Good Job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I would say the car has a 95-98 % OEM driveability.

Today coming into work I tried to think about the old feel and the new. The clutch pedel is getting closer the the old, but the grab is like the new.

The chatter is 99% gone. It can take off slow or fast and the don't get chatter. Like I said above I've even stalled the car taking off so slow and no chatter.

Even today in traffic at a stop light, I had to push the clutch back in a little because the car two cars didn't move when the light changed to green. I finished letting the clutch out and got may be a slight hint of chatter.

The more I drive the clutch and Spec flywheel the happier I'am with them.

I would say to Spec, Good Job.

+1 from me, these are my exact observations as well :)

+1 from me, these are my exact observations as well :)

Scary

But hey, they say great minds think a like.

hopefully i can be another great mind after putting the motor in tonight...UPDATE from me:

Well since I haven't heard back from SPEC today, and have tried calling twice more, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I went over to Auto Creek (the place that assembled my shortblock if you recall) and brought the fly with me, had Steve (the man) take a look to see if it would be reuseable, he said its worth a shot so he pounded out the old bearing, put in a new one, and resurfaced the flywheel (not the expensive milling way), but it looks a lot better (the big gouge is still there as a small scratch now, but hopefully will be ok). In addition to that, I told him about the problem I had overheating and how I had to get a new thermostat, he gave me a Subaru one since the Advanced ones are apparently junk. So at least $20 in parts, and probably $40 in labor...for free (granted I give him a ride i think since he said with a smile after I asked how much, "You'll be back")

So the engine goes back in tonight...again!

Is there a clutch that doesn't chatter? It seem that those who claim they don't get any catter is because they rev the engine to 2000-2500 before slipping it out.

I can let you know that coming into work today, I can let the clutch out at idle and when the car begins to move then give it gas, just like any old Subaru. I have been doing that at the same stop sign for years. No chatter.

David left me a message at work last night about the flywheel, doesn't think it was their flywheel which caused the problem (neither do I, but wanted to be sure) and also mentioned that there are 32 units :eek: already "out there"! we have 3 accounted for on the boards here so I'm surprised that other people who aren't on the forums have been snatching these up. he said most of the other units have quite a few more miles on the setup than I do (duh, I wasn't able to put very many on :lol:), thats a definite positive. the motor didn't go all the way back in last night, got everything lined up, but not slid together, gotta recruit some help so I don't F it up again, so i'll finish up tonight and tune most likely on Thursday.

It was a nice try, but like you I didn't think it was there fault. Like you did, have it turned and put it in.

It should be fine.

I can let you know that coming into work today, I can let the clutch out at idle and when the car begins to move then give it gas, just like any old Subaru. I have been doing that at the same stop sign for years. No chatter.

Which clutch do you have?

mostly i just wanted to let him know that i had a problem because i thought there were only 3 units out there including mine. but if there are 32, then i'm sure they've got it down (not that i questioned it before). he also said the pilot bearing holes are centered to within +/- .001 for reference

Which clutch do you have?

I guess you missed that in an earlier post. Spec Stage 2+ with the "first production" flywheel. Not a mear prototype. :)

They grabed the flywheel off some guy's desk, cleaned it up. and over nighted it to the dealer. I had my car by by 1PM the next day.

haha. i still have a hard time believing that they have 32 out there though, you got the first one and it shipped on 6/25 you said, and mine got shipped on 6/26, i was pretty sure it was the first one until you came forward, so i assumed it was the second one, but dayyum these things are selling quickly. so once the motor is back in tonight and my problems fixed, i will once again recommend this GB :lol: gotta get some of these other people in on the deal

i dont think any vendors have them yet, or at least i haven't seen vendors talk about them. at any rate he made it sound like they were in cars since he said "most have more miles on them than your setup"... i assumed most of 31 to be a number greater than 2 :p

Time for another update.

Chatter, seems to make a come back in the humid weather. It's not real bad but can just bearly feel it.

Drier air no chatter. I have about 700 miles on the flywheel and Spec stage 2+

I have also noticed something else. I haven't missed a gear or had any grinding of gears. I thought it was just me getting lazy. But with the Spec clutch, the problem has gone away. Yes I had the 4th and 5th gears sycnro's replaced also. Subaru covered that.

i have about 850 miles on mine now, I haven't noticed the chatter you speak of during humid times. at any rate, i'm pretty impressed with the setup for sure, i'm still having some slight transmission issues i think (possibly screwed up my synchros or something driving around w/ the bad pilot bearing before), like sometimes i get some grinding in reverse. i would like to be able to adjust my clutch pedal back to where it should be at the stock level, but don't really know where that it so that may be my problem. hopefully the pressure plate with thin down just a little bit and that will help with any remaining issues. overall it is a very strong setup.

link to example of shifting stuff that has been plaguing me (while playing a wrx wagon w/ a kayak on top on the way back from TDC):

botched shifting 3rd to 4th, won't go into 5th either video by LGTgroff - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid211.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/872d51e2.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid211@@AMEPARAM@@211@@AMEPARAM@@bb173/LGTgroff/872d51e2

Archived