LegacyGT.com

Official Spec Clutches And Flywheel Group Buy

groff

last time i did it, it was on a wrx when swapping to STI components, but i'm assuming its the same principles for our cars... pull the front wheels, disconnect the front hub from the suspension parts allowing it to drop down (kinda hard to explain) and then pull the rusty ass cotter pin from the axle thats on the transmission side of the shaft and you should be able to slide it off of there and then pull it out of the hub. i'm pretty sure there is a how to clutch write up somewhere on here

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I little update on my Spec flywheel and stage 2+.

I have about 300 miles on it. The chatter seems to be happening less. Maybe I'm getting use to the new clutch.

Like groff said in his post, it does grab higher then the OEM. Still haven't done a WOT shifts with it yet. That will come.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i have 75 on mine, trying to change this engagement point some since things aren't as smooth as they should be yet.

Give it a few day's groff, it gets better.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

chatter depends on the driver, and after the clutch is broken in. i have 120 miles on mine, and i don't get chatter anymore, i've just learned how to finesse it i guess. if i botch it some then i will. i have bigger issues now though :icon_conf something is not right with the fork/release bearing not sure if i installed something wrong or something is wrong with the clutch/pp/fly combo, because i keep having issues with the car stuck in gear. thinking its time to pull the engine and tranny back apart

tdc...10am tune...hmm, that leaves 7 hours before i have to be on my way driving there....guess we'll find out

Pullin' the engine again?!

chatter depends on the driver, and after the clutch is broken in. i have 120 miles on mine, and i don't get chatter anymore, i've just learned how to finesse it i guess. if i botch it some then i will. i have bigger issues now though :icon_conf something is not right with the fork/release bearing not sure if i installed something wrong or something is wrong with the clutch/pp/fly combo, because i keep having issues with the car stuck in gear. thinking its time to pull the engine and tranny back apart

tdc...10am tune...hmm, that leaves 7 hours before i have to be on my way driving there....guess we'll find out

not any more, started to look at it and figure out alternatives (read jerry rigging). we had tried a small aluminum spacer between the clutch fork and slave cylinder, but it managed to punch a hole through that. so this time we were able to find some weird closed cap nut in our collection of random parts from who knows where, drill it out slightly to accomodate the slave's push rod (make all the jokes you want :lol:) and have that act as a 1/4" or so spacer. seems to be working a bit better with smoother shifts so hopefully i'll still have synchros by the end of the weekend. i'll be in touch with david at SPEC monday morning to figure this out...since I know a lot of people are riding on my reactions to the setup before thinking about purchasing the two. if he ends up wanting me to separate the two then it'll come back apart next week. so as of now the tranny should be able to make it hopefully...just have to solve the thermostat issue now so i don't overheat on the way there

didn't end up going to TDC this morning, still had the clutch issues. was able to speak with Mike there who said he's had this problem before as well. he said to take it back apart and make sure that the throw out bearing clicks onto the clutch and then slip it in the fork when putting them together (which i didn't do, i put the TOB on the fork first and then slid the engine back into the tranny). if you don't make sure the bearing clicks onto the clutch it may not (which is obviously hasn't) when you slide the tranny and engine together, resulting in an unhappy car... and driver :lol:

ok, i've had the engine and what not apart for a bit now and i still can't figure out how this is supposed to clip to the clutch :icon_conf. waiting for a call back from mike@TDC to see whats up and figure out if i can get the tune tomorrow if i get stuff put back together

Is there a clutch that doesn't chatter? It seem that those who claim they don't get any catter is because they rev the engine to 2000-2500 before slipping it out.

I now have about 400 miles on my Spec 2+ clutch and flywheel. I would say the chatter is gone. I have even stalled the car letting the clutch out a couple of times. I would say the chatter is gone.

I'll keep updating for a few weeks.

I also installed AP 116 tonight. Took the car for a short ride, feels smoother then the 115 addition.

i have 160 miles, my chatter is gone as well

...so is my pilot bearing though. pictures of the carnage coming soon

Oh man, Good luck, keep after it. You'll get it all together and it all will be worth it.

SOB! i had the post all typed up, with pictures and all, and its no longer here!? damn site updates, well here it goes again...

hey, theres my pilot bearing

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/IMG_0653.jpg

in car pics

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/IMG_0650.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/IMG_0648.jpg

out of car frontside:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/IMG_0659.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/IMG_0658.jpg

out of car backside:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/IMG_0657.jpg

gouge in fly surface

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb173/LGTgroff/IMG_0660.jpg

flywheel in my unprofessional opinion is no longer useable. the surface around where the bearing was is really destroyed. the scratch on the surface is fairly deep (most likelly from one of the metal shavings flying around), but may be able to be resurfaced if need be. David @ SPEC will be getting a phone call bright and early from me tomorrow to see what can be done, and I get the feeling I'll be sending the fly back to him for evaluation. hopefully I'll get a new one out of the deal as I'm not sure why the pilot bearing (stock from the dealer) would go bad so quickly, or at all for that matter.

if this fly is not reuseable, and if i don't get a new one (courtesy of SPEC) then i'll be going back to the stocker, and also cancelling this group buy. will keep you all updated as to what SPEC says, but I get the feeling they'll help me out-

i feel like i'm living in deja vu here, cuz i'm pretty sure i responded to this post last night as well...

trust me, its not making me feel all warm and fuzzy about my car period haha. at least i was able to figure out what the problem was, because it sure had us stumped when we were trying to fix it.

Well, as the only other person on here that's got the SPEC flywheel, I can say that I've had no problems at all out of mine...

I dunno what happened to your pilot bearing.... :iam:

i know, i hear ya. i'm not disappointed with the setup at all. if i'm not mistaken, i was the 3rd though to get the flywheel, crash being the first and maxcapacity being the second no?

I believe I got mine first. Tuesday June 26 07.

Crash, when did you get yours?

Mine if fine. The dealer installed it.

Archived