LegacyGT.com

Who likes dark beer?

ha-evolution

Dark Beer!  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Dark Beer!

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']Agreed, tried many sorts and varieties but Miller Lite is what I come back to everytime. I'm a simple man and I have no need for the exotic beers.[/QUOTE] I agree. Maybe we will have to meet up for a few "cheap, watery beers.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a big fan of dark beers made with black patent malt, too much of that burnt flavor. I prefer drinking beer in the summer. Nothing as good as finishing the lawn and cracking a cold one. One of my favorates are Belgium style White (Wit) beers. These are lightly hopped wheat ales fermented with a specific yeast and infused with a touch of corriander at about 5% alcohol. The Belgium made Hoegaarden is probably the bench mark. There are a few domestic versions of this style that hit the mark as well. For those around Austin TX, Celis White is an excellant rendition. Double White out of South Hampton NY is also quite good. However, it's alcohol content, at 7%, is a little high for the style. Those around Quebec, check out Blanche De Chambly. Probably my all-time favorate sipping beer is a Belgium Gueuze. Again, this is a lightly hopped wheat beer with a secondary fermentation from bacteria indiginous to Brussels. The bacteria contributes lactic acid providing a tart flavor. Cantillon is a good example of this style. Caution, this style is not for everyone.

I'm Irish and from Illinois, so I'm pretty much required by Irish Catholic Mandate to love Guinness... which I certainly do! :D It p1sses me off to a great extent when I go to a bar and they don't even pour it right :mad: They really need to start sending these insanely difficult instructions to any bar that serves Guinness... :rolleyes: [img]http://www.aduc.nl/pivot/images/guinness2.jpg[/img]

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='Hero']I'm Irish and from Illinois, so I'm pretty much required by Irish Catholic Mandate to love Guinness... which I certainly do! :D It p1sses me off to a great extent when I go to a bar and they don't even pour it right :mad: They really need to start sending these insanely difficult instructions to any bar that serves Guinness... :rolleyes: [/QUOTE] I agree. I want to jump over the bar & do it myself sometimes. You really know a great bartender when they put the clover leaf in the head. [IMG]http://www.anotherviewpoint.co.uk/images/guinness.jpg[/IMG] If you are ever in NYC, go to Maggie's Place. Rated best Guinness in New York.

[quote name='JessterCPA']I have heard about that one. Good reputation.[/QUOTE] The Deschutes Brewing Company is in Bend. I like to support our local economy, especially when it comes to drinking beer.:) Cascade Lakes Brewery is local too, not sure what their darkie is called though. No shortage of good coffee or beer here in the Pac NW.

[quote name='JessterCPA']I agree. I want to jump over the bar & do it myself sometimes. You really know a great bartender when they put the clover leaf in the head. If you are ever in NYC, go to Maggie's Place. Rated best Guinness in New York.[/QUOTE] I've had to teach a few barkeeps before :rolleyes: A good buddy of mine can make all sorts of designs in the fluff, I like buying guys drinks and having him make the ole'cock & balls shape for them :lol: Yup I know about Maggie's, by brother lives in Manhattan and we always go down there whenever I'm in the city ;)

[quote name='brad21']The Deschutes Brewing Company is in Bend. I like to support our local economy, especially when it comes to drinking beer.:) Cascade Lakes Brewery is local too, not sure what their darkie is called though. No shortage of good coffee or beer here in the Pac NW.[/QUOTE] I have consumed a lot of Full Sail over the years, they are near you correct? The Amber used to be my favorite but I think they changed the brew a couple of years ago.

[quote name='Gumby']I have consumed a lot of Full Sail over the years, they are near you correct? The Amber used to be my favorite but I think they changed the brew a couple of years ago.[/QUOTE] Full Sail is in Hood River, about an hour and a half away. YES another good beer!

• 3 months later...
Guest JessterCPA
Hey all. Now that Summer is almost here, what is your warm weather beer of choice?? For me? I like a nice white ale, or real cheap stuff, like Rolling Rock. Jesse

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='Drift Monkey']St. Arnold (local Houston microbrew) has Kristall Weizen (wheat beer, basically a heifeweizen) that I enjoy on summer afternoons... Paulner makes a good Heifeweizen too..[/QUOTE] Shiner Bock is a local brew down there isnt it?

[quote name='JessterCPA']Shiner Bock is a local brew down there isnt it?[/QUOTE] Yeah, but I like St. Arnolds stuff better (and it's closer, I live a little ways from the brewery and have went to a tour :cool: ). I think Shiner has gone a bit downhill since they started distributing nationwide...

If you can find it, Quilmes Cristal is great for the summer. Like Bud, but no nasty aftertaste. :D Goes down like water. [img]http://www2.discovirtual.com.ar/imgs/Articulos/3/14877.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Patagonian GT']If you can find it, Quilmes Cristal is great for the summer. Like Bud, but no nasty aftertaste. :D Goes down like water. [img]http://www2.discovirtual.com.ar/imgs/Articulos/3/14877.jpg[/img][/QUOTE] I'd rather drink this for something light: [b]Fancy Lawnmower Beer [img]http://www.saintarnold.com/products/profiles/images/labels_120/lawnmower.gif[/img] [/b]

• 2 years later...
I just tried Clipper City's Peg Leg Imperial Stout. Amazing range for such an unknown brewery. St. George's Porter still remains my favorite dark beer (outside of Guinness/Guinness Extra Stout of course)... but Peg Leg is stronger than most others I've tried - so it makes for a more fun time :) .

Local micro brew here has Oatmeal and Uncommon stout both are crossed with coffee. I drink these like water they are great and keep you going through the night. Bent River Brewery

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

• 6 months later...
[quote name='andrew.anderson']I only like dark beer. And it has to be [B]DARK[/B]. Not the crap that we call Dark in the USA.[/QUOTE] I've fallen in love with microbreweries... There's a lot of stuff (especially coming out of Pennsylvania for some reason) that gives German beer a run for its money.

Archived