LegacyGT.com

Who likes dark beer?

ha-evolution

Dark Beer!  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Dark Beer!

With New Yea'rs so close and all, I couldn't help but :raisedead:. :) Any recommendations for a nice beer to sit around a fireplace with? I've haven't really drank alot of beer this holiday season, save a few Sam Adam's Holiday porters and some Abita Ambers (first time trying this one, not bad).

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JessterCPA
Some recommendations: Anchor Our Special Ale Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Noche Buena Most good porters are nice this time of year. Sierra Nevada comes to mind. I really do not care for Christmas beer. They usually have nutmeg or cinnamon in it, which I really do not like. A Doppelbock such as Ayinger may also be a good selection, but watch out for the alcohol. Same goes for Duvel, which I recommend.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']With New Yea'rs so close and all, I couldn't help but :raisedead:. :) Any recommendations for a nice beer to sit around a fireplace with? I've haven't really drank alot of beer this holiday season, save a few Sam Adam's Holiday porters and some Abita Ambers (first time trying this one, not bad).[/QUOTE] hmmmm...was just wondering what the legal drinking age is in Texas.....hmmmmm

[quote name='JessterCPA']Some recommendations: Anchor Our Special Ale Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Noche Buena Most good porters are nice this time of year. Sierra Nevada comes to mind. I really do not care for Christmas beer. They usually have nutmeg or cinnamon in it, which I really do not like. A Doppelbock such as Ayinger may also be a good selection, but watch out for the alcohol. Same goes for Duvel, which I recommend.[/QUOTE] Duvel (8.5%) and Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale (9.6%) seem to rank high on beeradvocate.com (and in alcohol content :eek:). I might have to pick up a pack of each on the way home tonight...

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='Drift Monkey']Duvel (8.5%) and Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale (9.6%) seem to rank high on beeradvocate.com (and in alcohol content :eek:). I might have to pick up a pack of each on the way home tonight...[/QUOTE] Be careful of a barleywine style. They are different. Usually has low carbonation, and a deep caramel flavor. Almost a scotch or brandy association. I hate them. Other people love them. Duvel is awesome, especially in a nice tulip shaped glass. Lets the head rest nicely & concentrates the aroma. Oh man...... [IMG]http://www.duvelusa.com/images/img_splash_beer.jpg[/IMG]

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='Hatt Marrington']I love beer, and I love me a Sam Adams Octoberfest. The winter brew is pretty good too.[/QUOTE] Octoberfest may be the best beer that Sam Adams makes. Good call.

[quote name='racerdave']Harpoon Octoberfest may be even better. And now, for you East Coasters... you should be able to get the Mother of all Imperial Stouts.... Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewing Co.[/QUOTE] Rouge Ale's Chocolate Stout is avail on the west coast, and luckily, here. :)

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='racerdave']Harpoon Octoberfest may be even better. And now, for you East Coasters... you should be able to get the Mother of all Imperial Stouts.... Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewing Co.[/QUOTE] Just about anything Brooklyn makes is good. I really dont care for the Black Chocolate Stout or the Pennant Pale Ale, but thats just me.

[quote name='Patagonian GT']Such as.... Which Chimay did you try? There's red label, blue label, white label and black label.[/QUOTE] The only one worth drinking is blue label IMO, though the black label I've never had so.. Unibroue's Maudite or Trois Pistoles both top Chimay IMO.

Archived