LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a legacy but....

My 03 WRX (bought new) had one trip to the dealer real early on to replace a leaking turbo oil line. Thats it...car now has 65k Cobb Stage 2 miles on it and runs and feels solid. MY 05 LGT has 17k miles on it, no issues, feels and drives terrific at Cobb Stage 1, I might add. For me its about the AWD, better in the snow, the rain and just plain more fun to drive with the added stability. Now, not all subarus were this reliable, my 86 XT-4 was full of electronic gremlins...and that was in 87! Buy one and smile like the rest of us!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've owned 4 Accords before I bought my Legacy. Great car, good resale value, kinda boring to drive. I've had my L GT for 2 years .. no squeaks, no rattles, no burning oil, no problems at all. A total BLAST to drive. I still look forward to hopping behind the wheel and taking off ... now if I only got the MT .... ahhh .. that's another story for another thread .....

Dear friend, I understand you have a lot of questions but a lot has been answered and discussed about in lots of existing posts...trust me there is info here you are looking for. Look for the keywords in search function in this forum or sitewide.

To specifically answer the gas question - yes - for LGT u need 91 octane gas. It is better for the turbo to work in top notch condition and maintain its efficiency thruout the lifetime of the vehicle. I had also been told when i was looking to buy mine that some people can get away with putting 87/89 once in a while but generally not a good idea. That was my biggest deterrent and there are threads aplenty discussing the argument.

It all comes down to your liking/use and budget. Once again, search for threads about all comparison utilitywise/mileagewise. Cheers!

:\ 1 final question, should i try and get a new 05-06 legacy or opt for a new 07 legacy?

is there a difference?

The main difference I've seen is if you want to mod it. As of right now there's no Accessport support for the 2007 LGTs.

If you don't plan on modding, the 07 is the way to go. SI-Drive is an okay feature. The 07's possibly put more horsepower to the wheels (haven't seen it myself - but have heard things like larger up-pipe, etc.), and has 100% fold-down seats! Also the SRS WOW is a feature that makes the stereo actually worth listening to. I'm amazed at the difference in sound quality when I turn it off ( I dont know how previous model GT owners can tolerate it).

The main difference I've seen is if you want to mod it. As of right now there's no Accessport support for the 2007 LGTs.

If you don't plan on modding, the 07 is the way to go. SI-Drive is an okay feature. The 07's possibly put more horsepower to the wheels (haven't seen it myself - but have heard things like larger up-pipe, etc.), and has 100% fold-down seats! Also the SRS WOW is a feature that makes the stereo actually worth listening to. I'm amazed at the difference in sound quality when I turn it off ( I dont know how previous model GT owners can tolerate it).

definately not modding it, ok, so i think an 07 or 08, cuz i just read that guy's test drive of the 08 and he says its a bit comfier than his 05 and a better ride.

they are assembled in Mexico

You do know that Tuareg is assembled in Slovakia (for sure) and I think that Passat is made in Germany. Lesser VWs are brought to US from Latin America.

Krzys

PS I think "American trash Legacy" was sarcastic. If VW is Mexican then Subaru Legacy is American, don't you think?

ok, also how low do you think a dealer would go if i wanted to buy a 2.5i SE sedan, and a 2.5 GT SE Sedan?

oh yeah, and if i get a GT do i have to use 92-93 octane gas?

If you care about MPG then GT is not for you.

Its MPG sucks compared to similarly sized vehicles.

Krzys

If you consider your legacy american trash why are you on here and why do you own one? Perhaps you should just sell it or "trash" it and call it a day....:lol:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: makeing a point. Most people here will bash an American made car all day long over issues such as build quality & reliability. Our beloved wonder of 'japanese engineering' is produced in the cheap ol' USA - and you're bashing a 'German engineered' car for being assembled in Mexico. 'Pot? Hello, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Kettle...'

Ok, do answer the OP. These are just a few links to recent threads answering all your questions.

Reliability: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48764

Fuel economy: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45185

08 drive impression: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61039

I would recommend the legacy over any offering from Toyota, Honda, VW, or Mazda. Check consumer reports for the recent troubles Toyota is having, they are only trying to get larger (renting space from the soa lot) and their quality is quickly degrading. Honda remains liable, but many owners are starting to see issues with their cars after 10 years of ownership. I can't say much about VW, I have just never been impressed with their cars and have recently just ignored them. JD Power and Consumer Reports are ratings from real owners over the life of their cars. If properly maintained, any Subaru manufactured in the early 90's - present is going to last you a long time. It's all personal preference though, drive them all and take the one you see yourself happiest in.

as far as the legacy, the engine is pure japan, and thats what counts

negative...the Subaru engines are Porsche boxer engines made in Germany...the Subaru drivetrain is assembled in japan with the engine being affixed to the drivetrain and then crated and shipped to America for final assembly

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: makeing a point. Most people here will bash an American made car all day long over issues such as build quality & reliability. Our beloved wonder of 'japanese engineering' is produced in the cheap ol' USA - and you're bashing a 'German engineered' car for being assembled in Mexico. 'Pot? Hello, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Kettle...'

first off, I didn't and I wasn't calling our Legacy's American trash like you were....secondly, the legacy's engine is german, drivetrain japanese, which is then crated and sent to the US for final assembly.....thirdly, a VW is what it is, and once again, if you like one go buy one, the mexicans in Tijuana will love you for it

and lastly, learn how to spell your own states name before you "try" to bash..... :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

You do know that Tuareg is assembled in Slovakia (for sure) and I think that Passat is made in Germany. Lesser VWs are brought to US from Latin America.

Krzys

PS I think "American trash Legacy" was sarcastic. If VW is Mexican then Subaru Legacy is American, don't you think?

Thank you. This place reeks of so much high horsed BS it sucks some times. I like the car - but some of these people here are just completely out of reality.

I don't get why people can't see a simple point . . .anyways. say what you will. I'm done here.

negative...the Subaru engines are Porsche boxer engines made in Germany...the Subaru drivetrain is assembled in japan with the engine being affixed to the drivetrain and then crated and shipped to America for final assembly

even better, german performance, japanese reliability

Final assembly locations for VW:

Rabbit = Germany

Jetta = Mexico

Beetle = Mexico

GTI = Germany

Passat = Germany

Eos = Germany

Touareg = Germany

Final assembly locations for Subaru:

Impreza = Japan

Outback = United States

Legacy = United States

Forester = Japan

B9 Tribeca = United States

Also, the Accord Coupe is only assembled in US, while the Accord Sedan is assembled in US and Mexico. Whereas a Civic coupe is assembled in the US, and a Civic Sedan is assembled in either US or Canada.

I hope you are joking. Otherwise I want to see documentation.

I have heard that Subaru developed their horizontally opposed engine by studying Porsche's designs, but I am pretty sure the design is mostly original to Subaru, and manufactured by FHI in japan or other far-east location.

I am pretty sure that the engines Subaru uses are not manufactured by Porsche in Germany. Not to say that they are inferior.

Why would Subaru have to fudge a 3.0 H6 with lamb-chop connecting rods and overboring the cylinders to get a 3.6? Would they not just use differently tuned and outfitted Porsche 2.8, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, or 3.8 variant flat 6s from the Boxster/911 lines? And then why no 2.0-2.5 Turbo "STI-powered Boxster?

I think they are two distinctly separate boxer engine designs, and I doubt the FHI parts are made in Germany, by Porsche.

negative...the Subaru engines are Porsche boxer engines made in Germany

Not true. While Subaru's horizontally opposed engines share the same basic engine configuration with other "boxer" engines made by Porsche, Alfa Romeo, and VW, they aren't made in Germany by Porsche.

Archived