LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy a legacy but....

Hi, as the title says im looking to buy a legacy but i've ready in many places including these forums that it has lots of "issues". rattling, etc.

is this because of poor worksmanship or are all subaru's like this?

and the more important question. a VW Jetta, Honda Accord, or Legacy 2.5i ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Compared to a comparably priced Accord or Jetta, I'd take the either of those than the Legacy 2.5i. The Jetta and Accord have many more creature comforts (not sure if that matters to you). In terms of reliability and resale, there's nothing beating an Accord.

Please note, I'm a VW fanboy unlike many of the people on here. I think the Jetta has a lot to offer, especially compared to the 2.5i which doesn't have the benefit of excellent performance.

Hi, as the title says im looking to buy a legacy but i've ready in many places including these forums that it has lots of "issues". rattling, etc.

is this because of poor worksmanship or are all subaru's like this?

and the more important question. a VW Jetta, Honda Accord, or Legacy 2.5i ?

I would go for the Accord AWD:confused: .....Don't be put off by all the "Issues" that are written about on this forum...or others. I have had 3 Subarus in the last 5 years....NO ISSUES!!! No rattles, no burned out bulbs etc etc....My only issue is....these cars are TOO much fun to drive:wub: Buy the Legacy and enjoy driving a great car.:)

shrug. If I can enjoy myself 100% and have 1% downtime that's a risk I'm willing to take.

life's too short to drive an accord/camry/appliance.

there I said it.

for the record I'm no anti-honda fanboy. Just helped my cousin bring home an s2000 yesterday.

Also of note: my coworker bought a brand new jetta. about 2 weeks after he got it, the drivers side visor fell onto his lap as he was driving.

However bad subarus are (and they arent terrible) I havent heard of falling parts.

car for sale. PM me!

everyone and their mother has an accord and/or camry.....jettas are mexican garbage (not they are NOT german!)......the subaru benefits from AWD which is it's main selling point...My 2.5i LTD is as close to european (BMW) feel as you are going to get with a Japanese car....

I love my 2.5i LTD and I don't have any rattling issues and I drive over the worst streets in NYC....

These cars are very reliable and so is the accord-but the accord is just so "plain Jane"....

I've had my Legacy (non-GT) for about a year and half (bought a 1-yr lease turn in), and it does have a couple of rattles, but it is WELL worth what I paid. Since the 2005 (my model) is the 1st year after the redesign, I expected a couple of issues. I hear that the 06, 7 & 8 are a lot better.

I looked at a lot of cars, but this thing is TONS of fun to drive, and I didn't even get the GT.. Besides that, it's comfortable, relatively quick, AWD, and bulletproof.

Quick note: I just took it in today for the 30k maintenance, and the mechanic said I needed the rotors turned, which isn't uncommon for a lot of city driving with the Subarus around 30-40k

I got a tonne of cosmetic issues. But the dealer was super helpful so far. I love the Legacy and driving my 2.5i with confidence in the snow. I got me a dark tint, GT shift knob, dimming mirror, GT momo wheel and driving gloves! :)

well when i say reliability i mean i want it to last for 10+ years, my 1989 toyota corolla lasted me until 1998, 200k miles, and it was in mint condition until 98 when it got stolen, frankly i think it would still be running today. so i got a new corolla and was dissapointed. i bought it in 2004, has 120k+ miles on it, at ~75k miles the dealer said the transmission was bad and wanted 5.5k to fix it, i said no, since the car was only 15k to begin with, today it still runs fine :) . at ~100k miles, the brakes started to squeak and squeel when i used them, i had the mechanic look at it, he says everything looks right, mechanic changed the pad, discs, and what not, noise wont go away. op it off, the engine in my old corolla had better acceleration, and the old corolla felt like it was stuck to the road, my new one feels like it's on its tippy-toes.

i also had a 1996 lincoln continental, it truly was a very good car except for the electronics, the lights would stay on (interior) and my batteries would die pretty often.on top of that it didnt sip gas, it took it by the barrel and guzzeled it.

i test drove all the cars i listed, the subaru felt the best by far,honda (4 cyl) felt cheap inside, VW was a little too high and stiff.

im not looking for much power, or much luxury, just something that wont have engine, transmission, electronics issues until over 100k miles, will a subaru legacy deliver?

everyone and their mother has an accord and/or camry.....jettas are mexican garbage (not they are NOT german!)......the subaru benefits from AWD which is it's main selling point...My 2.5i LTD is as close to european (BMW) feel as you are going to get with a Japanese car....

I love my 2.5i LTD and I don't have any rattling issues and I drive over the worst streets in NYC....

These cars are very reliable and so is the accord-but the accord is just so "plain Jane"....

And our legacy's are american trash - so what? Anyways. All of my VW's have been german. Corrado was even hand assembled by Karmann. And Wolfsburg Jettas are not from Mexico. The parts for new VW's come from Brazil, Germany, USA, Canada, Mexico and many other countries.

My wife and I drove past a beige 1999 Honda Acord EX a few months ago on the highway, and I said "hey, that's the exact same Honda we had for a couple of years". My wife looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about. A little while later she remembered that we had indeed leased an Acord for 2 years. She proved right then and there that the car was so completely forgetable - she couldn't remember driving a loaded, leather, moonroof, etc brand new Honda for 2 years.

And talk about overrated. The 150 hp V-tec, even with a 5-speed, was embarrassingly slow, and I still do not believe that engine produced that much horsepower anywhere on the tach. I swear Honda got away with one there, unlike Mazda and Ford with the RX-8 and Mustang SVT Cobra horsepower issues.

If you planning to sell the car after:......

3 years, get the VW jetta. Save you alot trouble and money on repairing starting 4th year.

6 years, get the Honda accord. Trouble free while you have it, good resell value, and comfort.

9 years, then Legacy 2.5i is the one to go with. Top safety rating, AWD, nice little car to pass down to another family member.

If it wasn't for the Turbo AWD, i would have gotten the Honda accord.

23K miles on the 05 LGT MT now, no rattles, no oil burning, no stinky clutch. Did repace the fan relay/ECU re the TSB and had the AC condensation tube plug-up problem...all fixed under warranty by a great dealer. I'd buy this car again in a heartbeat.

I haven't had any issues, no rattles. The worst problem I've had with my Legacy is my driver's seat creaks during hard cornering, and that's absolutley nothing in comparison to the competition.....

Go drive a Legacy, if you don't love it then do't buy it. A good car sells itself.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

alright, so the final question. what mileage does the legacy get. i live in a suburb but work in the same city, my commute is approxmiately 10mi there and back, about 5 stop lights/signs each way.

pretty much what im askin is whats the MPG on ur legacy and where and how do you drive it?

thanks

And our legacy's are american trash - so what? Anyways. All of my VW's have been german. Corrado was even hand assembled by Karmann. And Wolfsburg Jettas are not from Mexico. The parts for new VW's come from Brazil, Germany, USA, Canada, Mexico and many other countries.

If you consider your legacy american trash why are you on here and why do you own one? Perhaps you should just sell it or "trash" it and call it a day....:lol:

Have you not done your research? All VW's are assembled in Mexico today......there was a time long ago when VW's were marketed as german econo boxes...now because they are assembled in Mexico, all VW can claim is that they are "German Engineered", which means in plain english that some guy named Wolfgang said "Yah, is good......let's sell them" to the designer who came up with the new rabbit idea.....

If you choose to fool yourself into believing that the car is otherwise, perhaps you'd like to buy a slightly used Brooklyn Bridge I have... :lol:

alright, so the final question. what mileage does the legacy get. i live in a suburb but work in the same city, my commute is approxmiately 10mi there and back, about 5 stop lights/signs each way.

pretty much what im askin is whats the MPG on ur legacy and where and how do you drive it?

thanks

I get 23mpg mixed using 87 octane in my 2.5i and thats not granny driving but I'm not driving it like I stole it either....

On a good highway run, I've gotten up to 26mpg and thats just past break-in (2400miles)

Phaetons are definitely made in Germany, not sure about Touregs or Passats.

Passats are definitely made in Mexico.....my ex g/f has one and I laugh everytime I see the door sticker :lol:

i partly agree with NYCbred, american/mexico cars are pertty bad compared to japanese and european (german, brit, italy etc.) like my previous example my 1989 corolla was made purely in japan and it was amazing, my new one was made in canada or the US i believe, and its garbage compared to my old one.

as far as the legacy, the engine is pure japan, and thats what counts

how did you fix the squeaks in the clutch pedal?

I love mine and would buy another in a minute. My biggest problem's been a squeaky clutch - and it's squeaky no more.

I'm on my third Legacy wagon...two previous ones had about 100k with no problems whatsoever!

Only issue with my 07 is the radio/battery issue, which seems to be fixed. Apparently the satellite radio had a steady drain on the battery and if the car sat for more than a day it barely started. Now, with a new battery and radio, everything seems fine.

Sometimes I wish I had a GT wagon, but I do have a LTD, with lots of nice options. Every time I fill up, I'm glad I don't have to use premium. Mix of city/highway usually has me at around 26-27 mpg. If it's all freeway I can get over 30mpg easy, even at 70+mph! Gotta love that!

thanks

you could probably ride a bike instead of driving the car.

then go track days on the weekends to make up for the miles ;)

EDIT:

The more important spec is smiles/dollar to me, not miles/gallon when we're talking about gas.

In a few years I bet gas will be $$$ so enjoy it while we can. We should all be driving 400hp monsters.

car for sale. PM me!

Archived