LegacyGT.com

Drag Race: 05LGT 5MT TDC Stg1 vs. Boxster S Auto

moviemadness

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, because you're to busy racing to be bothered by people that speak the truth ;)

Wow someone doesn't have a life. I come back from going out to the bars to find you still saying the legacy is slow. Do I have to start throwing more facts at you that make you look dumb or have you had enough.

lol. :rolleyes:

Before you start doing your LOL's and your :rolleyes: . maybe you should do some research and find some facts. There are many LGT's that dyno in those ranges. I have actually seen stage 2 LGT's push more then that. I am not going to waste my time on your stuborn ass I am going to bed.

Let Dr. Sharp make some counterpoints here... Let's not get all defensive and have him defending himself not his arguement.

So Dr. Sharp heres your chance to make your counterpoint with some facts.

So far the way I see it there is no reason why a LGT cannot be made as fast as an STi. Given the stated reasons:

1) its the same engine.

2) its roughly the same weight.

3) you can pretty much use the same damn upgrade parts on a LGT as you can an STi.

Your Counterpoint...?

how about we bring in handling into the equation, since drag racing is not the only race format.

The LGT is a better chasis than the outgoing STi chasis. Given the same mods to bring them up to the same suspension compliance.

Which was surprising until professional race teams got into modifying them and said:

"Hello,

Just a point of reference for discussion - I was one of the designers/builders/crew on the ESX 25-hour endurance car. After several hours at the wheel, driver Gary Sheehan was able to turn a 1:59.xx on the low boost setting. In only 30 minutes of track time, driver Brian Lock was able to punch out a 2:00.xx in the Grand Am Cup Legacy GT, which was running stock intake through exhaust, including stock mufflers and resonators, with just the cats punched out, with boost at a mere 13 psi. Both cars were on equal size tires. The ESX car was putting out about 20-30 hp more than the LGT.

What's the mean? At least in race trim, stripped of luxury, the LGT is a faster road car than the STi. Yep, you heard me right. The LGT is a faster road car than the STI. I've designed, built, and crewed for more professional road racing Subarus than anyone else in the US, I think, and I feel the LGT is a better platform.

After this last weekend, I'm done being interested in an STI Limited to replace my '05 STi. Now I want an '07 Spec B to replace my '05 STi...

Joel Gat

Crew

GOTO:Racing

Grand Am Cup ST

Subaru Legacy GT"

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13969716&postcount=15

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=969038&highlight=legacy+handling

Let Dr. Sharp make some counterpoints here... Let's not get all defensive and have him defending himself not his arguement.

So Dr. Sharp heres your chance to make your counterpoint with some facts.

So far the way I see it there is no reason why a LGT cannot be made as fast as an STi. Given the stated reasons:

1) its the same engine.

2) its roughly the same weight.

3) you can pretty much use the same damn upgrade parts on a LGT as you can an STi.

Your Counterpoint...?

Is this an offer to have a civilized argument on a forum? My goodness, pigs must be flying somewhere!

1) Same engine, that's great. I believe you, I have no argument other than this: If it is the same engine, why are there no 500+ hp LGTs out there? farmerjon and a few other people are well into the 400hp range but look at his 1/4 time... It is by no means slow, but there are sti's out there that are pushing faster times with about the same hp.

2) 60lbs difference. Ok, that's definitely smaller than I thought it was. However, the 5MT on the LGT can't handle the high hp that the 6MT. Transmission swaps are not cheap and therefore the STi is easier to mod for high hp.

3) That's great but once again we're talking about drag racing. Take a close look at these two links:

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?carmodel=636&op1=%3E%3D&data1=&search2=et&op2=%3C%3D&data2=&days=10000000&carmake=42&name=Search+DragTimes

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?carmodel=638&op1=%3E%3D&data1=&search2=et&op2=%3C%3D&data2=&days=10000000&carmake=42&name=Search+DragTimes

Now which car would you choose for a drag car?

lol

Before you start doing your LOL's and your :rolleyes: . maybe you should do some research and find some facts. There are many LGT's that dyno in those ranges. I have actually seen stage 2 LGT's push more then that. I am not going to waste my time on your stuborn ass I am going to bed.

Yes, I meant that 240-270hp on Stg2 seemed low. Cars that run mid 12s have more than 240-270 hp.

lol

Wow someone doesn't have a life. I come back from going out to the bars to find you still saying the legacy is slow.

And that makes you a better person than me. I never said the Legacy was slow.

Do I have to start throwing more facts at you that make you look dumb or have you had enough.

Please do.

lol

The mustang will be here today.

I did play catch up with an STI before (on closed course) and it really wan't pulling on me at all.. we were going at about 110 - 120

The top end is where you'd see the smallest difference in the cars. Gearing and drag give you a decent chance up there ;)

lol

Is this an offer to have a civilized argument on a forum? My goodness, pigs must be flying somewhere!

1) Same engine, that's great. I believe you, I have no argument other than this: If it is the same engine, why are there no 500+ hp LGTs out there? farmerjon and a few other people are well into the 400hp range but look at his 1/4 time... It is by no means slow, but there are sti's out there that are pushing faster times with about the same hp.

2) 60lbs difference. Ok, that's definitely smaller than I thought it was. However, the 5MT on the LGT can't handle the high hp that the 6MT. Transmission swaps are not cheap and therefore the STi is easier to mod for high hp.

3) That's great but once again we're talking about drag racing. Take a close look at these two links:

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?carmodel=636&op1=%3E%3D&data1=&search2=et&op2=%3C%3D&data2=&days=10000000&carmake=42&name=Search+DragTimes

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?carmodel=638&op1=%3E%3D&data1=&search2=et&op2=%3C%3D&data2=&days=10000000&carmake=42&name=Search+DragTimes

Now which car would you choose for a drag car?

The point is not wether I would choose a LGT or an STi as a drag car its if the LGT could be made into a competent drag car. The STi is not a drag car either.

I would choose neither for a drag car... Foxbody mustang FTW.

While there are not many 500+hp LGT's thats more likely because of the demographic that buys the car is not going to go to the extreme that STi owners are going to. That does not discount the fact that pretty much all motor builders that have torn apart the motor agree that the engine is exactly the same.

The tranny is a good issue, however now that the 6 speed LGT Spec B tranny is the same as the STi tranny that becomes moot. The new updated 5 speed has been shown to put up very well to abuse. Certainly MUCH better than wrx and other subaru trannies of past.

Drag race times being better are because of the fact that there are a boatload more people willing to modify a STi than there are willing to mod a LGT. This has to do with the demographic that buys the car. There are STi's out there that run worse times than a LGT with the same power as well. It all has to do with the skill of the driver, the conditions of the race, and the willingness of people to post times on the interwebs.

I would choose neither for a drag car...

Now if we could only convince others on here...

The spec.B also weighs an extra 100lbs over the standard LGT. Certainly not a huge factor, but no longer a negligable weight difference.

And I would agree regarding demographics and popularity. But wouldn't you think that with a forum of 1million posts and 20k members that someone would have pushed the car further? I welcome the thought that the LGT can be equivalent to the STi, but I fail to see any objective data for high hp cars :(

lol

Guest Gitster

Yeah I bought an AWD car for drag racing. Obviously, it handles the best in a straight line. I know launching is a factor, but I dont drag race my car all the way to work, theres turns and stuff. We bought our Subarus for excellent foul weather driving and excellent dry road handling. You think the majority of people on this site think the LGT is an ideal drag car?????

Last time I watched Funny Cars, the really big wheels in the back pushed the car really fast. Hmmm I dont think there was a 10 foot drive shaft running up to the tiny wheels in front to make them turn as well, hmm could be ?? :iam:

Yeah I bought an AWD car for drag racing. Obviously, it handles the best in a straight line. I know launching is a factor, but I dont drag race my car all the way to work, theres turns and stuff. We bought our Subarus for excellent foul weather driving and excellent dry road handling. You think the majority of people on this site think the LGT is an ideal drag car?????

I don't think that at all. But some people in this thread have made comments that lead me to believe they think this. There are many positive attributes to the LGT, it being a quick car is one of them. But some people seem to think they have purchased a race car :confused:

lol

I don't think I purchased a race car. I purchased the car because I thought it looked nice inside and outside and it had some pep. I stopped at stage 2. But other then the waste of a beautiful car there is nothing stopping it, is the point I am trying to make.

If I wanted to get a drag car I probably would get a STI. because its better suited for drag racing? No because when you get super fast the car is no longer streetable and such a nice car the legacy is I can't imagine is sitting on a trailer all the time.

Archived