LegacyGT.com

07 spec.B Headed to The Dealership for "The Dip" - Advice?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting the buck too....I've tried to accelerate w/ traction control off, still same result. At first I thought it was compressor surge, (I noticed the hesitation when making 4th gear pulls @ under 3500) but after reading this thread, something definately aint right.

Any ideas????......oh 2007 spec.b, 4k miles

• 4 weeks later...
Someone has some updating to do...

You're right.

Two Thursdays ago, I shot a polite, patient email to SoA saying essentially "Hey, how about an update?", and got no reply.

Last Tuesday, I sent a less polite, less patient email saying "I sure hope you're not ignoring me. How about an update?" Two minutes later, I got a phone call which said, to paraphrase: "I have no updates, because basically, I haven't talked to anyone. Your regional tech is going to be in Delaware tomorrow though, if you'd like to track him down."

That day, I sent a pretty disappointed email to SoA, saying that they either need to get me a status report from Japan, or start doing the math for a buyback. The regional tech is gonna be at my dealership on Wednesday, and the service manager there is gonna give him some trouble for not getting back to me.

So yeah, fingers are still crossed for some kind of resolution, hopefully a happy one.

The worst part is how long these things can drag on...even with someone who is persistant like ShortBus.

Most people give up at this point.

I would tell them to just supply you with another 2007 Spec B.

Drive it and if it doesn't have the same hesitation then take that one...

They can take your spec b back to their headquarters and rip it apart trying to find what the problem is... in fact they can take their time too!

Because the longer they wait the less money they can sell that 07 model for.

I guess I've been lucky. With all the hesitation and studders out there I've never been able to duplicate it or have anything I could notice.

ShortBus...don't know what your previuos car was but try not to give up... this spec is the best car I've ever owned and I don't think I will ever get rid of it.

Update: SoA Customer Service is a pack of useless monkeys.

I sent a couple of increasingly frustrated emails about their lack of contact. I finally received this reply:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) This letter is in

respond to your email received on May 29, 2007. We appreciate you taking

the time to email us and are sorry to learn of your concerns with the

operation of your 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan. According to our records

our Field Service Manager, John Dale recently inspected your vehicle

for a hesitation concern. Mr. Dale found no malfunction with your

vehicle's operation. Additionally there were no trouble codes in the

vehicle's on board diagnostic system. Based on this inspection, SOA is

of the opinion that your vehicle is operating as designed. In the

interest of customer satisfaction we have forwarded the information to

SOA technical support for further review.

Your satisfaction is very important to us, and I can assure you that we

are monitoring your concerns. We do not have a further update at this

time. I will follow up with you the week of June 18, 2007.

Oh. Hell. No.

Phones started ringing. I had my dealer's service department contact John Dale, as I was typing up my reply:

If Mr. Dale found no malfunction, then why did he say to me that he detected poor performance?

Why did he pull data logs and send them to Japan? If he didn't, why did he lie to me and tell me he did so?

Finally, a performance vehicle which stutters under acceleration is not operating correctly. I'm confident that you did not design this car to hesitate and jerk when the throttle is open.

I think you need to call John Dale, and have him talk to me as soon as possible.

and naturally, their reply:

Unfortunately Mr. Dale is unavailable for the next few days. Regrettably due to a company wide event, I am unable to transfer you directly to Field Service Manager, John Dale. I will forward your message to him. I will provide you with an update until next Friday June 15, 2007. I will ensure that you case is given priority by the end of next week. Please accept my sincere apologies, that I am unable to provide you with a more specific answer. I would be happy to speak with you directly. I can be reached at 1-800-782-2783.

Yeah, my service manager got a hold of him anyway, and had him call me immediately. He told me that Deloria (who wrote the email) is full of it, and he's got a spec.B with a reflash on it. He wants me to drive it as their "test customer" to see if the problem is gone, according to my butt. I've got an appointment to drive it on the 21st.

I asked John to send me an email confirming the issue, and the proposed fix, and the appointment to drive a "fixed" spec.B, and to copy Deloria :). I suppose I won't have another update til the 21st, unless there's an awesome throwdown between John and Deloria the useless.

Man, I've got my fingers crossed. The second I find out if this flash does the trick, I'll let you all know, so you can all swamp Deloria with phone calls about your stuttering spec.Bs and the fix that's out there :lol:

Man, this thread(and the others with the stutter) has me bummed out. I found a great deal on an '07 LGT Limited, and now I'm second guessing myself about getting it.

FWIW, I used to be a tech at a Subaru dealership, and sometimes the techs and folks at the dealership have their hands tied by higher ups. If the tech can't do anything about it, don't get mad at them. Now if they're a bunch of idiots though and give you the run around, different story. It seems that SoA is trying to find a fix for it, but they're having some difficulty. It does suck having to wait for it though.

Tough call. Do I keep my Lightning or trade it in? Unless Cobb comes out with an AP, I just may have to stick to my truck.

Shortbus, thanks for keeping us as informed as you have.

Shortbus...you have A LOT of patience and dedication for this matter, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

I went to Milford Subaru in NH and the "best tech" they had (who is the head of an STi club here, as told to me by their service writer) was on the case.

All he could blame it on was that I was driving in the wrong gear and was dogging the engine. Basically, calling it driver error.

No, no, no, you didn't listen to me, I told him. I tried to re-explain it to him and offered to take him for a test drive. He took me up on it.

He got in, and I took him around out on the streets. I could reproduce it and he acknowledged it, but said it was the wastegate that was causing it and said his STi does the same.

"Oh really, the same intensity?" I asked.

"No, not the same." he said. "We can do a diagnostic test on the ECU for that and see whats up."

We get back to the dealership and he starts mouthing off to the service writer (behind poorly insulated sliding glass windows) that its totally normal and that if I didn't like how it drives that I should think about taking the turbo out of the car; cause thats how it is designed.

I was livid. Service writer comes back in and is doing paperwork and mentions nothing to me. I wait a few minutes and calm down.

"you know, the tech mentioned nothing about taking the turbo out to avoid hesitation", I mentioned casually.

"huh?" with a stupidified look on his face.

"I heard what you guys were "discussing" in the shop and he never mentioned to me that the solution would be to delete the turbo from my motor."

"uh, uh...we, uh were, uh, talking about running a possible diagnostic on your ECU...can we do that now?"

"No, I'm out of time. I have another appt to get to." I said.

Damn politics of CYA.

Thank you again Shortbus, you rock!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Get rid of the lightning...get a subaru......

no doubt!

Go test drive one and see if it stutters.....

300 HP no stutters....love the car

I've had Subies before, a VF-34'd bugeye and JBP STi. Loved 'em both. Just wanted something different with the Lightning. Only thing is, I can't track that truck. Well, I could, but it'd go through tires and brakes rather quickly. And tires for that truck run about $800-$1000.

May get rid of the truck in favor of a used STi as well. That sucker was so nimble and balanced.

Yeah well my sister is trying to buy the only used STI in Roseville.

IT's at the Auto Mall only has 33,000 miles and its a white 2005.

Thing is very nice!

I test drove them before buying the SPEC. I had trouble sitting in them!

6'2" 200plus pounds... ;)

Spec b is a much better fit....

Hey tires run 800 plus fo rme too!

Guess it all depends what kind you get.....

Yeah and I haven't upgarded any of the brakes yet.....can't wait for slotted or cross drilled rotors.... I installed some nice 13" front cross drilled brakes on my saleen.... loved the looks of those things!!!!

Okay, so I drove the prototype-flashed spec.B today, and I couldn't get the dang thing to stutter for the life of me. I tried my best to get a shudder, and nothing did it, so I'm guessing that the program they put together did the trick.

Here's the deal: The test car has to go to the EPA for emissions/mileage testing to make sure that it won't throw Subaru's numbers outta whack. When (hopefully) it passes, they'll distribute the reflash to service departments nation-wide so that they can reflash stuttering spec.Bs.

The Fed has a pretty nasty reputation for dragging its ass, so while we could see a fix in as few as a 2-3 weeks, the engineer I spoke to today said their turnaround is usually closer to 2 months.

Good news: There's a fix, it works, and it'll go out.

Bad news: It'll still take a couple months, probably.

Dejavu?......I may be mistaken but I thought "engineers" at SOA already came up with a studder "fix" for the original batch of misbehaving MY05's about a year or so ago. I think all the people who ran out and had their ECU's reflashed for the fix at that time were right back to the studder/shudder within a few months.

meh......

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

This is an ECU software issue, as confirmed by Scott Siegel at Subaru of Gwinnett. Subaru put a new ECU in their 07 cars with totally new software, and they screwed it up. Scott said that every 07 STI owner can't believe it. He has datalogged many STI's with the problem, and says it's purely a throttle response and wastegate control issue. The difference between the STI and LGT is that the LGT uses the new CANbus interface for its ECU, and he can't tune them yet because there's nothing out there to interface with it. He claims that every 07 STI he's tuned has been buttery smooth afterward, and he can do the same with the LGT once the AP or ECUtek comes out for it. Props to ShortBus though for doing all this legwork, hopefully Subaru will offer something up that fixes this.

Let me be the umpteenth person to say thanks and give you props for all your legwork, Shortbus.

I couldn't believe when I stumbled upon this thread.

This is my first turbo car, so I thought it was NORMAL (turbo lag?)! :rolleyes: I absolutely have the "dip"/delay as described. Mine is worst on a 1 to 2 shift at full throttle in S# mode. As soon as I get into 2, there is about a 0.5 second surge right before the car almost stalls for like 1 second, and then lurches forward again. This is what you guys are talking about, right?

In any case, I'm definitely going to keep up to date regarding a dealer flashed ECU. As soon as they authorize it, I'm going to the dealer for this.

Keep us posted, Shortbus.

Archived