LegacyGT.com

Legacy Specific ACT Clutch. I WIN!!

sleepin gt

Ok, i have 40,000 on my car and my clutch just blew.

SUGGESTIONS PEOPLE???? I have a UP, DP, and exhaust and

an ecutek. let me know whats the best solution to my clutch/flywheel needs...i need your wisdom!!!! PM or just post.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A little off topic, but I don't feel like searching right now as I'm at work.

Will an Exedy twin disc for a Subaru 5 speed work with my 05 LGT? I have a chance to buy one at a sick price to go with my turbo swap and don't want to pass up this deal.

I don't think it will fit, but I don't recall exactly why. I will search for more info later, but I figured if anyone knows the answer now, it will save me some time.

Thanks

Unless it's made for an 06+ WRX it will not work. Even if it is, you still need to get an 06+ WRX type flywheel to go along with it.

I called ACT and got some solid info finally.

They DO NOT offer a LGT clutch. They offer a conversion kit. The kit converts from an LGT setup to an 06+ WRX setup. The addition of a new flywheel is what makes it a conversion.

The 06+ WRX clutch is 4mm wider than the LGT. That's really the only difference.

So for those that are still curious, there are currently two clutch options for the LGT.

1. Spec

2. ACT 06+ WRX Conversion

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

[quote=mwiener2;1087212

So for those that are still curious, there are currently two clutch options for the LGT.

1. Spec

2. ACT 06+ WRX Conversion

Correction...

If I'm not mistaken...multiple options.

1. SPEC stage 1 (OEM fly)

2. SPEC stage 2 (OEM fly)

3. SPEC stage 2+ (OEM fly)

4. SPEC stage 3 (OEM fly)

5. ACT for '06+WRX with WRX fly

6. Bullycluch (modified '06WRX) + '06 OEM WRX fly.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52707

7. RPS...if still available.

Correction...

If I'm not mistaken...multiple options.

1. SPEC stage 1 (OEM fly)

2. SPEC stage 2 (OEM fly)

3. SPEC stage 2+ (OEM fly)

4. SPEC stage 3 (OEM fly)

5. ACT for '06+WRX with WRX fly

6. Bullycluch (modified '06WRX) + '06 OEM WRX fly.

7. RPS...if still available.

As of a month ago:

>Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:13:48 -0600

>From: "David Norton" <sales AT specclutch.com>

>Subject: RE: Subaru LegacyGT CLutch

>To: <mwiener2>

>I have the clutch (we manufacture them in all 7 performance stages), but we

>are seeking a flywheel sample now from which to begin design.

>

>David Norton

>S.P.E.C., inc

>800-828-4379

>205-491-8593-fax

>sales AT specclutch.com

So if they were looking for flywheel samples to begin design... I don't think they have a good product out yet. Right now, they have a "it should work." Which is exactly what RPS said, or more correctly, what MDTurbo said. The RPS clutch was never meant for the LGT and if you call RPS and ask them, they will say they never said it would even work. MDTurbo screwed a bunch of us and that's probly why he's gone into hiding.

So that again, leaves us with two decent options:

1. ACT Conversion Kit

2. Bullyclutch conversion kit

In both those cases what you are really doing is a complete swap to a 06+ WRX clutch and flywheel. So if there are kits out there floating around for 06+ WRX's, they 'should' work so long as you do the full swap (PP, Friction disc, Flyhweel, bearings)

The spec setup with the stock DMF flywheel is not the greatest of ideas because the reason the majority of us need to upgrade is that we've exceeded the power level of the stock clutch system. The stock DMF wasn't designed to handle these types of loads and stresses and is prone to malfunction. The whole thing can either bind together, effectively making it a single mass flywheel, or it could fail by breaking into lots of little pieces. It could also break into those tiny pieces sometime after it's fused into a lump of metal. If you're upgrading your clutch to handle more power, lose the stock DMF.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I went ahead and ordered the ACT kit. Being afraid to use full throttle is pissing me off.

ACT is a big enouhg company that they will stand behind their application. They said they tested it, so they should honor a warranty claim...... I would hope so anyways.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

So that again, leaves us with two decent options:

1. ACT Conversion Kit

2. Bullyclutch conversion kit

Ahh "decent". You said "So for those that are still curious, there are currently two clutch options for the LGT." That's why I listed the other options out there. People have used these and have had it "work".

Is it possible to order a lightweight flywheel while running a replacement OEM clutch? this may be a better option for me as im not planning on modding my car much beyond what i currently have on it. plus, i just dont have $900 bucks to drop on a harman motive clutch/flywheel combo.

Is it possible to order a lightweight flywheel while running a replacement OEM clutch? this may be a better option for me as im not planning on modding my car much beyond what i currently have on it. plus, i just dont have $900 bucks to drop on a harman motive clutch/flywheel combo.

do 06 WRX ACT clutch, WRX 06 OEM flywheel (250.00). I would not go light on the flywheel.

Mine just got here the other day and I am just waiting for my Subaru MAster tech buddy to rebuild 2 motors before I can get him to help me install it. Cant go wrong with having a master tech work on your car after hours haha

^^ Why would anyone want that?

Just a response to:

I cant imagine anyone would choose to keep the stock flywheel, unless they were on a really tight budget.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

Archived