LegacyGT.com

I sent an e-mail to SOA

godwhomismike

I would hope to see Subaru offer the Legacy in WR Blue, with black/blue interior similar to the one found in the Spec B.

I have started seeing information on the color choices offered on the '08 models, and I find them disappointing at best. Since the '06 model year, the color selections have been shrinking, and I been finding the color combos and choices more and more undesirable with each passing model year.

I am also rather disappointed that there will be no 6sp automatic in the '08 model. In addition, the Outback Sedan and Legacy wagons being cut is another disappointment.

I feel as if Subaru is offering less and less with each passing model year on the Legacy/Outback line ups.

I hope that maybe for '09, there will be more of a choice for us Legacy/Outback owners, who are looking into moving into a newer vehicle.

As of now, I'm not overly excited with the '08 model, because of very limited and mundane color choices, the absence of any power or drive train improvements (such as a 6sp automatic). I hope that at least some of these issues are addressed by the '09 model year.

To be honest, I find the SI-Drive nothing more than a gimmicky dial, the '08 model to be a very minor update, the lack of color choices to be a major disappointment, the absence of the Outback sedan and Legacy wagons to be another disappointment, and the lack of any power gains or new transmissions like a 6sp auto to be craptastic. There is very little reason to move to a newer Legacy if you already own one - the only difference is the model year designation and a few flash and trash options.

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your interest in Subaru products. At this time, there is only minimal information available for our 2008 Legacy models, which can be reviewed in the Press Release that is on our Web site. Once on our home page, use the 'NEWS' heading, which is at the bottom of home page. Once in this section, this Press Release will be the first one.

If you would like to sign up to be automatically sent information on the 2008 Legacy models once information becomes available, please visit the 'THE 2008 OUTBACK, 2008 LEGACY, PREVIEW THEM NOW' banner, which is in the bottom, left corner of our home page.

Please know that Subaru offers combinations of options, features, colors, and model lines that are most popular. We cannot be successful in business by offering colors, features, or options that are difficult to market.

Subaru's current transmission choices are comparable to other vehicles in our price range. For example, the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. We have also found that the extra weight and complexity of a 6-speed automatic in a relatively small mid-size vehicle like the Legacy would not provide enough of an improvement in performance or economy. However, for the maximum performance oriented Legacy Spec.B model, the 6-speed manual transmission is a good fit.

The 2008 Legacy/Outback model year is not considered a redesign. It is considered a 'refresh' of an existing model line which means that except for styling, features, and colors, there will be no major changes to the engine, transmission, etc.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please let us know.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weaksauce....

Just makes me feel that much better on pouncing on my '06. Seriously though, the stars had to line up perfectly for me to be able to choose a car (I'm terribly indecisive) and the '06 LGT sedan in Black or Red were the only possibilities.

If Subaru had indicated that they had the intentions of refreshing the Legacy again in the near future I may have waited. This car should last me until they're making 10sp automatics and I doubt I'll buy another Subie after that unless they get their crap together.

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your interest in Subaru products. At this time, there is only minimal information available for our 2008 Legacy models, which can be reviewed in the Press Release that is on our Web site. Once on our home page, use the 'NEWS' heading, which is at the bottom of home page. Once in this section, this Press Release will be the first one.

If you would like to sign up to be automatically sent information on the 2008 Legacy models once information becomes available, please visit the 'THE 2008 OUTBACK, 2008 LEGACY, PREVIEW THEM NOW' banner, which is in the bottom, left corner of our home page.

Please know that Subaru offers combinations of options, features, colors, and model lines that are most popular. We cannot be successful in business by offering colors, features, or options that are difficult to market.

Subaru's current transmission choices are comparable to other vehicles in our price range. For example, the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. We have also found that the extra weight and complexity of a 6-speed automatic in a relatively small mid-size vehicle like the Legacy would not provide enough of an improvement in performance or economy. However, for the maximum performance oriented Legacy Spec.B model, the 6-speed manual transmission is a good fit.

The 2008 Legacy/Outback model year is not considered a redesign. It is considered a 'refresh' of an existing model line which means that except for styling, features, and colors, there will be no major changes to the engine, transmission, etc.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please let us know.

Extra weight of a 6 speed not efficient...oh except in the Spec. B? Maybe if you knew how to make the damn thing correctly.

That response made me not want to buy another Subaru. Like ok, we're a performance company that doesnt want to spend any money or make any changes to compete with the big boys. Okay.

And I don't think that the color red is that hard to make and its usually very popular. If I can't have red or even WR blue then I really dont want it.

Isn't every four years generally when most models are redesigned? So for 2009 Subaru might have something new......I hope. I still don't understand why they won't just drop in the STi long block at least into the spec B. Wouldn't it cost them less if they are already putting the same engine into an sti. They can even detune it to around 280 hp if they want to keep the STi the flagship......

And that is just like the response that someone once got about HID headlights.

Something to the nature of: We at Subaru find that HID headlights are not a safe method of road illumination...oh but we will put them in the STi.

I think HIDs are a huge distraction to other motorists in very populated areas.

Weaksauce....

Just makes me feel that much better on pouncing on my '06. Seriously though, the stars had to line up perfectly for me to be able to choose a car (I'm terribly indecisive) and the '06 LGT sedan in Black or Red were the only possibilities.

If Subaru had indicated that they had the intentions of refreshing the Legacy again in the near future I may have waited. This car should last me until they're making 10sp automatics and I doubt I'll buy another Subie after that unless they get their crap together.

My thoughts exactly!! :icon_mad:

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Subaru is a small niche automotive mfg. why do you all find that so hard to accept? We all want what we don't have and if you look at anything you've purchased it's generally a compromise. Get over it!

The initial comment stating SI is just a knob, you don't know what you're talking about and have not tested it in real world driving conditions. I use it everyday, because I can and it helps...

The future is actually electric/hybrid cars. Like rc electric cars, the acceleration is awesome. All the torque is available instantly and not when the engine revs up. There are electric sports cars that can hit 60 in 2.5 seconds and still go 300miles on a single charge. It's here today, just not affordable yet...

Now for HID's, the future is LED's. LED's will allow designers to finally overcome headlight limitations in their design and provide more efficient lighting. eesh, watch discovery channel once in while... They have futurecars on over the last couple of weeks and that's an awesome show!

Quick flame of SI-Drive:

If Subaru had used the SI_Drive on '05-'06 and announced that the '07 would no longer have SI-Drive, I would have gladly waited. Not only that, I would have paid more to not have SI-Drive (I did, kinda).

10% improvement in fuel economy? I typically get ~19 mpg with a standard deviation of roughly 2 mpg. That random deviation is a larger difference than what I could expect to see using "Economy Mode." I can improve my gas mileage from 16mpg to 22mpg (37.5% improvement) simply by not driving like a d!ck.

I guess it would be nice to have a huge knob taking up that space allowing me to "dumb-down" my car. I can ruin the simple, attractive and effective instrument cluster with a dot-matrix display? Awesome!

As far SI drive goes, its Subarus version of active fuel management. Other companies have extra cylinders to shut down, Subaru doesnt so they offer an alternative and good for them for implementing it. Remember, if a car can't achieve a certain gas milege (i dont know what it is) you have to pay $1300 gas guzzler tax.

I dont think that knob the size of half dollar is that inconvient, but if you do thats your opinion.

We have also found that the extra weight and complexity of a 6-speed automatic in a relatively small mid-size vehicle like the Legacy would not provide enough of an improvement in performance or economy.

This is what I really dont like. Hello! It works for the Fusion (and its counterparts), Camry, A4. The base A4 comes with a 6 speed manual. Thats just a BS answer. And I think if small cars like the Yaris and Fit can handle a 5 speed auto so can I our 2.5i.

It would seem to me like you would be adding gears in order to make up for the fuel economy ratings that are going to be decreased from the new EPA guidelines.

Archived