LegacyGT.com

I sent an e-mail to SOA

godwhomismike

No we are lucky that they even have wheels on a Subaru! :lol:

While it wasnt canned, its was annoying.

1. You didnt ask for unlimited HP. That is an inane comment for him to make.

2. How much extra does it cost them to offer a car in a color that they were previously offering (e.g. GRP)? If offering one or two extra colors puts them in the red, then they are in far worse trouble than I thought.

3. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but they build 5MT cars for Cananda, so why not sell them here?

My point is, since they are a small company with fewer sales, the opinions of their customers should matter a bit more than to a Toyota, GM ,etc.

Hey, I wanted unlimited horsepower don't you? :lol:

Srsly though I am writing him back to tell him a few things of which I'm finished, I'll post it up here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats not true. The Fusion/Mariner/MKX, the Camry all have 6 speed autos. And none of those companies offer the equavilient to our 2.5i in a 4 speed auto anymore. Its the way the times are going and fuel economy is on the rise because of it.

Any idea what the up charge is for a 6 speed automatic?

that is just preception. sure the wrx is very popular among car enthusiasts but outside of that circle, the wrx is just another "ricer" compact in the eyes of those who don't care about their cars.

and also, depending on region that can also be why u feel that subaru should be bigger. when i drive around the fwys in so-cal, i can count the amount of subaru's with my 10 fingers on average. some days i see more, some i don't see any at all. remember that the AWD of subaru is known for is not really useful in sunny, dry climates such as so-cali, nevada, arizone, pretty much the whole southwest, and parts of the great plain states.

I still dont understand how Subaru is the smallest automaker in the U.S. They're so popular and well known here. It boggles my mind.

Scientists postulate that living in Wonderland and ignoring the facts can lead to mind-boggles.

I keed I keeed

remember that the AWD of subaru is known for is not really useful in sunny, dry climates such as so-cali, nevada, arizone, pretty much the whole southwest, and parts of the great plain states.

Then why do people buy Audi? They sell very few FWD variants of their vehicles.

It does make me sad is that they ditched the Legacy wagon. But, I understand. Indoctrinated roughly 6 years ago to Subaru, the only fan fare I ever saw was for the Impreza and Outback. Honestly, this is no lie, untill I walked on the lot in sep 2003, I didn't even know you could get a non-OB trimmed "legacy'. Hell, I didn't even know that OB's were "legacys" with a lift and some extra trim options till the dealer explained it.

Of course, now I'm 'edumacated'.. but that doesn't lessen the fact that, like myself, many people who might really like a subaru in theory never get past their major marketing draws. The OB and Impy. Maybe like me, they simply never knew. The caveat to this is, well, thats the sheeple market.

These are people who buy Carolla's and Camry's because...they're toyotas.

The very same that bought the Taurus' that propelled Ford to #1 all those years.

I remember how, when looking for my Impreza, when ever I'd exclaim to the sales guys why we loved Subaru, why we came back to get another, they always seemed genuinely thrilled to find someone who "gets it" who understands. You can tell that truly 'loyal' customers don't come through their doors everyday. And SOA an FHI/SOJ knows this. And I see this more as a signal of FHI/SUBY not wanting to simply 'sell out' to gain a broader market but instead help us 'loyal' followers gain some value, derive more meaning from our vehicles. SOA I feel has done everything they can at this point to grow outardly Subarus image in the vast mundane market that is the US auto marketplace without compromising the things that make them great. Without compromising the group that got them here (Us) or their loyal buyers such as myself. They pushed the Markets as best they could, and saw that, there wasn't enough of a market to sustain, so they retract again, and we wait for another ebb and flow when they attempt to grow out again. And the will.

I simply see it as adding more value to what I have. The main reason I looked specifically for a Bugeye was for it's looks. This car in a parking lot of other mundane crap BLINGS.. it looks so classic. That to me alone is worth it, and I get a hell of a lot more than that. This is the 'positive' spin I put on this latest news. This isn't SOA 'abandoning' us, this is SOA reienforcing us, giving us more 'value' as it were. Not diluting their market. This is what I love. We now basically are driving those sort of cars you'll see in 15-20 years being heralded as 'classics' and the real 'stand outs' of their era.

I find this acceptable to losing some features or options at current. Because, as demand rises, so too will go supply. So again I think we'll see these options reappear in the US market.

In the end, If they attempt to sell things they cannot, well, thats worse for all of us in the short, and long term.

So far there are only a few things better about the '08 than my '05:

No up-pipe cat

tilt/telescoping wheel

Integrated (I think?) key fob/remote

Fold down rear seats?

MP3 player?

SRS WOW?

MPG Guage? <-- kidding on that one; does anyone use that thing?

I still dont understand how Subaru is the smallest automaker in the U.S. They're so popular and well known here. It boggles my mind.

The other 90% of the population think we're all gay.

It is still ugly.

Fold down rear seats?

MP3 player?

SRS WOW?

MPG Guage? <-- kidding on that one; does anyone use that thing?

Meh. Tell me I could replace the HU and I'd be impressed. I'd rather use my ipod than mp3 cds. That said, AUX in would be nice, but that came around in '07:):p

freakin subaru....

at least offer bluetooth and better stereo - DVD audio

better speakers...and an idrive type control.

Make the car look more aggressive and bump up the hp.

Offer HIDs, headlight washers auto down windows with fob etc etc

Every car mfg bumps up the hp with a refresh and makes the car look sweeter and adds more convenience.....all except subaru

Their cars get uglier by the refresh and loose power and color options and trim levels etc etc.

forget the WR blue...at least they shudnt hv removed the Garnet red with taupe...who makes these decisions for them ....that moron should be whipped and then rolled in salt followed by a dip in a pool full of lemon juice

Now that next gen TSX better get here quick, cuz i need a new car and i dont want 2 subarus that dont give me all the features i want.

There thts how i truly feel :icon_mad:

While I like and use SI-Drive, the dang knob takes up way more real estate than it deserves. A three-way toggle would be better. Two-way, actually, as the only relevant settings are I and S#. The few times I've tried to use the seat heater, I've had to dislocate my shoulder like Mel Gibson a la Lethal Weapon.

As for SoA's marketing, frankly, speaking as a marketing professional, it sucks. I'm not saying that I'm some kind of genius, but they blow some of the most fundamental premises of marketing. The best example is that they have completely abandoned the rather large segment of loyal Subaru customers who bought WRXs in 2002-04, and now have kids and a dog. Many of those folks are here or at NASIOC, lamenting the loss of the LGT wagon/LGT wagon 5mt, when they could be purchasing a LGT wagon STi or some enthusiast version of the Tribeca. While many of us scoff at the appearance of the 'beca, fact is anyone who bought an "ugly" bugeye WRX in those early years wouldn't hesitate to get a Tribeca, if it had some grunt like the Cobb sc-ed version.

Plus, it sounds like they spend way too much money on market research. While it is important to do market research, all that does is tell you where you are. If you do planning based on surveys and focus groups, you are doomed to follow behind everyone else. It isn't really that hard to look at where you are, look at where the market is going, and plan where you need to be in the next 3-5 years. Where most companies go wrong is 1. listening to idiots who are less talented but louder than their colleages, or 2. letting politics screw up a well-thought-out plan. My bet is that in recent history, #2 has been the main problem.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I think killing the GT Wagon was short-sighted. It was a failure of marketing , not the product. SOA did not market the it as a "sport-wagon" that Audi/Volvo/BMW/Magnum (and soon VW) do. It's a niche, but that's what the new automotive reality is about. I was amazed when I was skiing in CA ( Mammoth) the other day, there were 3 Legacy GT wagons in the (small) car-park, all modified to some extent ( one of them was totally Cobb'ed out with all the good gear). To me that indicates significant interest and people who would buy another (but now won't).

I don't want some floppy pseudo-SUV like the OB or GT sedan, so SOA will lose me in a year.

What was there response?

And I dont know if they have chose diesel over hybrid. Im not sure there's any choosing. Im willing to bet you could sell both, but id rather they combine the two technologies. And knowing SOA we will never see the diesel here.

Archived