LegacyGT.com

I sent an e-mail to SOA

godwhomismike

Not that it's inconvenient but I'm a big proponent of "less is more" which the '06 filled perfectly for my needs.

I've already commented on the supposed economy benefits and the aesthetic drawbacks but I think a better solution would have been a better choice for a turbo (maybe on the spec. b or some other alphanumeric moniker). The only reason they can make an economy mode is because the stock programming runs pig rich (iirc).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that it's inconvenient but I'm a big proponent of "less is more" which the '06 filled perfectly for my needs.

Well frankly Im surprised Subaru went along with it. Since their all about trimming weight, that knob really put them over the top.

The future is actually electric/hybrid cars. Like rc electric cars, the acceleration is awesome. All the torque is available instantly and not when the engine revs up. There are electric sports cars that can hit 60 in 2.5 seconds and still go 300miles on a single charge. It's here today, just not affordable yet...

and they are about as practical as a bicycle :lol:

electric motors do give most torque at a standstill, then drops off as the rpms rise, great for initial acceleration, crap for overtaking.

and they are about as practical as a bicycle :lol:

electric motors do give most torque at a standstill, then drops off as the rpms rise, great for initial acceleration, crap for overtaking.

My mom's RX400h goes from 0 - 60 in 6.9 seconds. The 350 takes 7.2 seconds. Its crazeeeeeeee. ....and faster than my sedan. Hmmmm....

Here it is:

------------------------------

Dear Subaru,

As I'm sure you've noticed you have been getting a lot of e-mail regarding the inquiries about the upcoming 2008 Legacy lineup for the North American market.

It comes to no surprise that Subaru of America (SOA) has already halt production of "new" 2007 models due to the production "Refresh" that is coming with the 2008 Legacy lineup.

This e-mail is directed at the person reading it, the salesmen/women, marketing, R&D, CFO, CEO and Vice President and President of Subaru of America.

You are on the verge of making a monumental mistake in your offerings for the 2008/2009 calendar years.

Everyone at Subaru has a passion. A passion of delivery a quality automobile for a fair price with a lot of safety features such as 5 Star government crash tests and of course Subaru's legendary AWD now with the included symmetrical-AWD you have a great base for some great cars.

First, some background with me. I have owned 4 Subaru's since February of 2005. My first Subaru was a 2005 2.5RS Wagon. No later than it getting a couple hundred miles on it, I end up getting in a terrible accident with me and 2 of my best friends. We crashed and yet ultimately we walked away with no scratches and everyone ok.

I then a couple weeks later re-bought another 2005 2.5RS wagon. We then owned the car for 2 years and then have just recently sold it for a 2001 LL Bean Outback for more space for camping and dog amenities.

Later in 2005, we purchased a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT Non-Limited. It was a Satin Pearl White w/ Black Sport cloth interior. Having always owned an auto, I was excited at the opportunity of having my first car with Sportshift.

Fast forward almost 2 years later, I have about 16,000 miles on the car and I still have a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. There is no car that I have driven that makes me "Feel" the way that I do in the Legacy GT. It is a near perfect blend of Luxury and Sports car in one.

That being said, we are now coming up on the 2008 Model year of which to me it's a mix of excitement and bittersweet.

Newly announced in Subaru of Canada is the different trim models of the Legacy.

Having seen the 2.5i, 2.5GT, Spec B, and 3.0R I feel a little of under whelmed. Why you ask? Well, there is a couple of markets you are missing completely. I get what you’re doing with the 2.5i, I get it. Resourceful, good miles per gallon, loaded with options and for the most part, cheap enough for an entry level Legacy for the North American market.

The Legacy 2.5 GT is a different story. From what I’ve been reading, you’re getting rid of the Legacy Wagon in 2008 in favor of consumers buying a “Outback” with “similar” features. Also you seem to be limiting the options on the Sedan. Example of Navigation only being offered in the Automatic version; you do know that other car manufactures offer navigation in 5 speed or 6 speed manuals right? BMW / Audi / Acura to name a few of which lately, it does seem like you’re trying to tap into a part of their market. Paying attention to details such as this will in the long run keep your Subaru base happy and give consumers more choice. You limiting options shuts out potential buyers that may or may not want a manual transmission in a great car.

The Spec B is a great car and I do give you kudos for making it a trim level. However, you are missing out on MAJOR bucks for not offering the Spec B in an 5 speed Auto or even a 6 Speed Auto. You may have noticed that 2007/2008 is a big year for auto makers offering 6 speed Autos and I have a gut feeling that Subaru is unfortunately missing out on an opportunity for potential new sales with the Spec B being offered in an Automatic.

Of course I’m expecting the rhetoric that the Spec B is an “enthusiasts” car and that they demand the utmost performance which only comes from a 6 speed manual. Well fire someone in marketing because look at the A4, S4, TL-S, BMW 335xi. You’re going to need to convince me otherwise as to why the Spec B can’t have a 6 speed auto w/ paddle shifters because if you ask me, I would buy one tomorrow if it were for sale.

I’m not going to comment on the 3.0R because I think it’s a waste of potential on the Legacy platform.

Last but not least, the much vaulted Legacy STI. For the love of everything Subaru, if you wanted to line your pockets with more money that you’re currently making, you would bring over the Legacy STI from Japan to the States. That’s right, offer a “True” Legacy STI with two-tone leather interior, moonroof, 8 way dual-power seats, folding rear sets, same if not better suspension as the Spec B, Gold/Black Brembos brakes, various options on spoilers, 6 speed Auto w/ Paddle Shifters or a 6 Speed Manual. Lastly the engine… PLEASE, either put the 2.5L engine in with 300BHP+ or… just bring out the H6 3.0 Turbocharged engine. Of course you need to offer World Rally Blue (WRB) as well as the other “STI” line colors. Remember, the Legacy platform is mostly for 24-40 yr olds and up who are “tired” of the “boy racer” “Impreza STI” with the huge wing and obnoxious design, you have a great opportunity to tap into a “waiting” market in North America.

Now I’m not trying to tell you how to market your cars I’m merely giving my input as a loyal Subaru enthusiast who happens to drive one of the best cars on the road today.

I don’t expect much more than an email response, maybe even a follow up with some “coupons” for free service here or there with a “generated” response as with most replies to emails such as this.

However, if the first person who reads this believes in something bigger, something greater, hell, even a marketing campaign featuring me and other customers that have this type of passion for their cars, then I would say: “It’s what makes owning a Subaru, a Subaru.”

Sincerely and Respectly,

-Aaron W. Hockett-

2005 Legacy 2.5GT

2001 Outback H6 LL Bean

honestly if I don't get an email or written letter from them I'll be suprised.

I wrote to them twice. First time they told me to go F myself because Im not driving one of their newer vehicles. Second time they ignored me completely. And all I did was ask them to send out a damn service bulliten informing their service center's the right way to fix the F-ing speedo in 1999 Legacies.

I wrote to them twice. First time they told me to go F myself because Im not driving one of their newer vehicles. Second time they ignored me completely. And all I did was ask them to send out a damn service bulliten informing their service center's the right way to fix the F-ing speedo in 1999 Legacies.

that sucks.

I can see their point of not having a 6-speed automatic yet. That's something we see on German cars, not yet on Toyota and Honda family cars. But the color selection has the most people upset. We've gone to what, 2 shades of silver, Diamond Grey, black and Newport Blue? The Outback adds gold, I think/ That is it. You can't underestimate how color selections can be a dealbreaker to potential buyers.

I can see their point of not having a 6-speed automatic yet. That's something we see on German cars, not yet on Toyota and Honda family cars. But the color selection has the most people upset.

Thats not true. The Fusion/Mariner/MKX, the Camry all have 6 speed autos. And none of those companies offer the equavilient to our 2.5i in a 4 speed auto anymore. Its the way the times are going and fuel economy is on the rise because of it.

Wow... a non-canned reply. I'm going to be continuing my dialogue with Mr. Hasan as he seems intelligent enough. Email below:

######################################

Dear Mr. Hockett:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message! I appreciate your loyalty to and passion for Subaru products. I also appreciate your genuine concern for the success of Subaru in the future. I hope that I will be able to address your concerns and provide you with some explanation as to how and why we make certain business decisions.

As a consumer outside of Subaru of America, it is not always possible to relate to some of the decisions that are made. When we make decisions regarding our product lines in terms of styling, equipment, badges, and options, we often make these decisions for practical reasons. Someone like yourself, who is so truly passionate and emotional about the Subaru brand and everything it stands for, may see these decisions as lacking in logic or sense. But decisions based on emotion alone can lead to business disasters. We must maintain both a balance of emotion and practicality in our decisions, which is what we strive for.

With that being said, we would love to offer an STI version of every model, with every possible combination of options, in every possible color, with unlimited horsepower and transmission choices. Realistically, this is just not possible.

We must also acknowldge that the vehicle market for Japan and other countries are not the same as the United States, although in recent years this has been changing. This shift in the market has resulted in the U.S. market receiving models such as the WRX, STI, and other turbocharged performance models starting in 2002 with the WRX model. The WRX model had been available since 1993 in other markets! I am sure that you will see that in the next few years, as Subaru becomes more acceptable in the U.S. market as a premium, performance brand, we will be able to offer more and more such products to appeal to demographics like yourself and your peers.

When I read your statement indicating you are not trying to tell us how to market our cars, I felt the exact opposite. But know, that this is not a bad thing at all. We are always looking for ways to improve our products and we do this by listening to our customers and learning from them. But in addition to that, we also conduct massive amounts of our own research as it relates to what types of products to bring to market. I cannot begin to describe how much of our resources are invested in market research and analysis. From focus groups, to customer surveys, previous model years' sales results, to email, phone, and mail feedback from customers and dealers, the process never stops.

This information is continually compiled and shared with the entire Subaru company. It is then used a a guide to determine what products we can sell and what products we cannot. And it is not just about being able to sell the products but being able to sell enough of them to remain profitable as a company. Unless we stay profitable, we will not be able to stick around and offer products in the future.

Realize also that Subaru is the smallest car company in America. We have a hold on less than 1% of the U.S. car market today. However, we are one of the only car companies in America that has posted vehicle sales and profit increases over the last several consecutive years. This year we broke 200,000 units in vehicle sales, setting a record for Subaru of America. We would like to think, that we must be doing something right to achieve these goals.

And yes, we know that we can always do better, but being a smaller car company, we are often limited in the number of options, features, trim level, colors, and other choices we can offer our customers. Unfortunately, this will only change as we slowly grow each year. Our highest volume models like the Outback and Forester, sell less than some of the limited production models offered by other companies. As a small car company, we will continue to offer solid, safe, high performance products with AWD at an outstanding value but this often means some sacrifices in terms of flexibility. You can buy an inferior product with more options, but that is where your priorities come into play as a consumer, and the decision becomes yours and yours alone.

I know I did not touch on too many specifics about each model and why they are they are equipped the way they are, etc. but I hope this message gives you a better understanding of our understanding of what our consumers want as well as our limitations for fulfilling these needs all at the same time. If you have questions about specific models, please let me know and we can continue our discussion in more detail.

Once again, I thank you for your tremendous passion and enthusiasm for Subaru and the products we offer. If you have any other questions or comments, I welcome you to reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Samir Hasan

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

#####################################

Ok I sent one to.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am curious if the Legacy will be available in red in the future. I will be in the market for a new car soon and currently I am enjoying my 1999 Rio Red Legacy GT Limited. While I do understand that Subaru is a small company, I was dissapointed to see that the current Legacy only comes in a handful of colors choice that are nice, but not bold enough for my palette.

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Ben Sarcia

Archived