Rebadge. Nice or Rice?

fishbone

Rebadging  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Rebadging

• Nice - do it
    • Rice - leave it alone
    • Undecided/other

I've noticed the practice of some to rebadge their rides once they get into tuning. SE trims becoming SS, or SE-R, etc. GTR has a nice ring to it but I don't want to become part of the crowd with Type R badges on their regular Acuras or Type S-es, or Si badges on regular Civics. You get the idea.

So what is your opinion? Have you done this kind of thing before? Should I let it be badged GT, debadge it altogether or go with GTR / some other sort of badging? Methinks GTR is kinda getting into Nissan territory ... I don't plan on doing any sort of flashy huge red letter R or anything and right now I'm

undecided between the 3 options, slightly towards badging it GTR.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the STi logo on my grill, front lip, painted on my TMIC. also have the Decals on the doors STI Subaru Tecnica International. (planned STi swap Turbo etc... but i am going to go with something bigger now)

Its your car do as you please.

Sti just isn't an impreza you can find some Sti parts for legacy's JDM and what not.

I have the STi logo on my grill, front lip, painted on my TMIC. also have the Decals on the doors STI Subaru Tecnica International. (planned STi swap Turbo etc... but i am going to go with something bigger now)

Its your car do as you please.

Sti just isn't an impreza you can find some Sti parts for legacy's JDM and what not.

BINGO!!! STi, for the naysayers is an In-house tuning and Parts Division of Subaru, so therefore you could possibly have an Brat STi, if you have parts from STi...

ONCE AGAIN STi IS NOT A CAR !!!!

Bingo! So wait until you

find some Sti parts for legacy's JDM and what not.

and install them before wallpapering your car with the decals.

planned STi swap Turbo etc...

Does not an STi make.

Sorry for always typing STi in all caps. I'll probably keep doing it, though.

Bingo! So wait until you

and install them before wallpapering your car with the decals.

Does not an STi make.

Sorry for always typing STi in all caps. I'll probably keep doing it, though.

Seems like you are directing that at me, are you claiming i dont have any Subaru Technica International parts installed on my car? :confused:

I just mentioned the emblems i had. nothing to do with mods. I do have parts installed, i was mentioning the major parts that i almost purchased last month TMIC, vf39, pinks etc. I decided to go with a biger turbo, foiling my plan a little sure, but i still have parts installed.

I guess i could see where your coming from when the begining of the thread is talking about GTR badges and what not. To that My opinion is go with what you want, but if you are going to do things people consider rice, be sure you have thick skin cause you are going to hear it.

STi to Subaru is what Schnitzer, Hamann, Hartge are to BMW. They are "official" tuners. I am one of those that also does not consider a Subie an STi just by having parts here and there on it, I'd consider it STi if I specifically sent it to them to do all the work on it, or bought it that way. It's either all or nothing. SMG does not a 3er an M3 make.

The whole badging thing started from the idea that, again, the GT trim would not be GT anymore if a/m tuned. Chip, STi turbo, that's what I'm looking at sometime in the future. Thus, like others, I figured I could indicate in one way or another this matter and GTR just sounded nice. Just trying to find a "safe" ground where nice, not rice. Alas, it's much like naming such a modded Legacy a Legacy GT Evo, as in evolution, as in Lancer. I guess brand recognition is, well, can't really switch'em around. I suppose the opposite is better. De-badging even the GT, let everyone else guessing ;)

But I'm still open for some suggestions.

Fat Charlie: be gentle, I'm not the type you probably suspect I am.

Fat Charlie: be gentle, I'm not the type you probably suspect I am.
Internet boxing???

I am one of those that also does not consider a Subie an STi just by having parts here and there on it, I'd consider it STi if I specifically sent it to them to do all the work on it, or bought it that way. It's either all or nothing.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I have to differ with you on that statement.. Parts from STi could very well equal an STi badged Leggy, But since neither Honda, nor Nissan is touching your Car.. there probably isn't a need for an R badge

It's either all or nothing.

Like the MarcusDubya77 said, STi is an in-house tuning and aftermarket parts division for Subaru. Yes, they do make complete models (Forester STi version, WRX STi), but STi offers many products for retail sales through Subaru dealerships. So, an STi badge doesn't (at least to me) necessarily indicate that it's an STi model, especially on a Legacy since there is no STi version akin to the WRX STi/Forester STi... only a "tuned by STi" version.

-Mike-

I have STi logos all over my wagon now. STi lip, pink springs, blistiens, AVO420, JDM headlight accent, DP, SPT parts,..I even have this Hello Kitty emblem. If you laugh, I'll spank your ass. Still not enough? OK, I'll go get my vette, or 800++HP Buick and show you some fun. Or, one day, I'll finish my other subaru hiding in a trailer.....

I think it's fun to provoke others to try and "show you what they got"....then turn the tide and put a hurt'n on them. There are two methods for maximun enjoyment and surprise. One, is to have a pure sleeper, a quiet car, no special exterior pieces, etc. The other is to have a rediculous slow car, dressed up almost silly to look fast, but SURPRISE, this kid really does have the power to back it up. Now what do you have to say, smart-ass???I love it when kids pull up rev'n, and think my Buick is a fat old monty carlo, then I spool up my monster-turbo and look over as their jaws drop in pure confusion, as I launch and leave them in my wake.

Hmmm, well I can't seem to post that pic anymore?? Here is a link.... http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54220&highlight=kitty

Archived