LegacyGT.com

Toyota cleared to buy Subaru

hogmeat

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toyota is notorious for part sharing so it wouldn't be shocking to see them do that with Subaru. That could mean boring soulless parts for everyone or well designed fun parts for everyone. It's really all guessing until something actually happens.

I'm not a big fan of anything Toyota has done since the 2JZ (don't mistake that for me being a supra fanboy).

Corporate take-overs never involve the parent staying out of the acquired's business. It just doesn't happen. Ever.

Toyota will inevitably begin to dictate fundamentals like commonality in chassis, powertrain, technology etc. That doesn't mean they will give the boot to everything Subaru. Just that consolidation in design, suppliers, production/assy sites, resources must and will occur.

Toyota is simply after FHI advanced battery technology for their hybrid cars. There has been no indication that Toyota is in fact after Subaru for the Subaru brand and expertise in AWD. Toyota already has great products and i doubt their engineers want anything from Subaru, or visa versa. It would be a point of honor to do you own thing ... at least i think so.

Subaru has indicated they are interested in the diesel knowledge of Toyota.

Toyota gets batteries, Subaru gets Diesel engines.

I would imagine Subaru will remain Subaru and not toyota-ru. (hopefully). Destroying a brand isn't a good idea if you want to make money from you investment.

I love my car ... basically.

Just because toyota buys them doesn't mean subaru is going to go in a different direction. Look at all the companies Ford and GM own and last time a checked toyota owns lexus and i don't hear to many lexus owners coplaining about that.

Lexus is toyota. Everything except the GS, LS, and SC is badge engineered.

Camry = ES = Camry. Same car.

When I last checked, Subaru was the only OEM offering AWD in a vehicle under $20K (Could probably be had for $16K brand new). It would be a shame if that was no longer the case. My wife loved the Impreza and was planning to get one in a couple of years.

-Jim

(AKA 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0)

As far as I can tell this sounds like a good thing, Toyota isn't stupid, they know the toyotas fill a niche, and the Lexus line fills another niche, to turn Subarus into toyotas would be foolish they already have that niche covered. I think they will keep subarus filling the niche they do, and we will benifit from toyotas added $ and quality and business know how, I think this is truley a win win.

Could be alot worse, coulda been GM and we would have ugly unreliable cars with lame interiors.

this is probably a good thing to share technologies also can't hurt to have Toyota behind you. the best part is maybe just maybe Toyota can get Subaru to make a good commerical. :lol: bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

Just because toyota buys them doesn't mean subaru is going to go in a different direction. Look at all the companies Ford and GM own and last time a checked toyota owns lexus and i don't hear to many lexus owners coplaining about that.

Toyota CREATED Lexus in order to be their luxury brand in the US. It's not a separate company in the sense that Volvo is separate (but owned by) Ford.

Hmmmm...STi or TRD???? I think even Toyota's marketing department can figure this one out.

Subaru will definitly benefit from Toyota's deep pockets. Toyota's are not perfect, but this is WAY better than GM or Ford owning Subaru. You saw what Chrysler did for American Motors and what they did for Mitsubishi and what Mercedes has done for Chrysler.

It is still ugly.

Archived