LegacyGT.com

Toyota cleared to buy Subaru

hogmeat

Guest JessterCPA
Toyota follows the addage that the most generic product sells the highest product, and its true, the less your car appeals to any one market, the more it appeals a little bit to every market.. I guess you could call that brown bagging.. I call it a huge automotive disappointment.

I think that is an unfair statement. Toyota makes some of the best, finest crafted vehicles in the world, and all in a span of less than a lifetime for many members here on the board. I remember my father (who is an auto mechanic) absolutely screaming at a mid 70's Celica because it was the biggest piece of junk he had ever seen. Who would have thought they turned into a Potential Big 3.

Simply because Toyota does not make a performance oriented vehicle at this time does not qualify as an automotive dissapointment.

Jesse

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ponder this.

Lexus hasnt been around as long as Acura has. Yet Lexus sells more cars and in my opinnion they are a lot nicer. There was a road and track from last year that compared the Accord and the TL. The interior were almost the same. Except that the TL had a few more jazz items, such as little chrome trim on the vent adjusters.

Excluding the ES and LX, Lexus produces all of its own cars and its been that way. Where Honda for a long time made copies of its Accords and Preludes in the way that Ford and Mercury operate. Remember the CL? Yeah, accord coupe. So why spend more? Kudos to Toyota.

;1003519']You obviously don't recognize boilerplate language which says' date=' in effect, there are no hard feelings about the JV dissolution.[/quote']

That's not what the article says Jon. It's pretty explicit. You can't mince words on this one. Take your medicine, sit down, and shut up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's not what the article says Jon. It's pretty explicit. You can't mince words on this one. Take your medicine, sit down, and shut up.
I can read what it says but you're apparnetly unable to grasp what it actually means. Any JV that ends without lawsuits typically includes something to the effect that "the two companies will continue to explore opportunities for cooperation in areas of joint interest, yada, yada, yada ..." at the end of the announcement. It means nothing.

BTW, FHI had to book a 2 billion yen loss as the result of its bailing out of the JV with NEC:

http://ir.fhi.co.jp/english/finance/presen/4q_presen2006/p10.html

That might explain why FHI never bothered to issue a press release about it.

;1005564']I can read what it says but you're apparnetly unable to grasp what it actually means. Any JV that ends without lawsuits typically includes something to the effect that "the two companies will continue to explore opportunities for cooperation in areas of joint interest, yada, yada, yada ..." at the end of the announcement. It means nothing.

BTW, FHI had to book a 2 billion yen loss as the result of its bailing out of the JV with NEC:

http://ir.fhi.co.jp/english/finance/presen/4q_presen2006/p10.html

That might explain why FHI never bothered to issue a press release about it.

The joint Venture ended yes. The deal was done. The technology was done. Once Toyota moved in, development didn't have to be done under a joint venture any longer as technology would now be sourced as opposed to being jointly developed. The R1e is fruit of that labor. Since it was a JOINT VENTURE and FHI was in from the ground up, NEC could be cut out of the picture for the most part because FHI would retain the development know-how. Admit when you're wrong Jon. Until then... go fly a kite.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The only Toyota vehicle that will be made alongside the Legacy and the Tribeca in Lafeyette would be the Camry due to very high demands on production needs.

Both my wife's Toyota dealer (she just purchased a CAMRY) and my own (Subaru of South Coast, Ca) just confirmed that.

The only Toyota vehicle that will be made alongside the Legacy and the Tribeca in Lafeyette would be the Camry due to very high demands on production needs.

Both my wife's Toyota dealer (she just purchased a CAMRY) and my own (Subaru of South Coast, Ca) just confirmed that.

I'm not saying you're wrong but dealers generally don't know anything about this kind of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
well, i sure hope this takeover if it happens to be true, will not spoil the uniqueness of subaru itself and turn it into a very toyotaish company... but maybe toyota can help with the american satnav problems and subaru can help bring toyota back to the competitveness that it used to have in WRC - you know, the extremely famous Celicas :icon_bigg ...and possibly in the Super GT race series - I WANT CASTROL and ESSO ULTRAFLO SUPRAS BACK!!!!!!:icon_frow

I used to own a 1989 Celica All-Trac (the infamous GT-4) thaw was a nice car. If they could ever bring something back like that that had all the options, like mine did I'd be all over it.

Click

Here everyday:redface:

Toyota will be buying a controlling share in FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES, not Subaru specifically. I would guess the main reason for this is access to FHIs large manufacturing infrastructure and to share R&D info. I would doubt very much that anything will really change at Subaru beyond perhaps some extra money for development etc.

Everyone that is worried Toyota is gonna rape Subaru into a copy of themselves is silly. I'm sure Toyota recognizes the following that Subaru has and will likely leave them alone for the most part. The biggest thing I can see happening is the sharing of drivetrain technology, likely in the hybrid and diesel versions.

Clueless speculation:

Toyota will be buying a controlling share in FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES, not Subaru specifically.
News (from http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=abe7FojiTjLE):
Toyota Won't Buy Chrysler or Raise Fuji Heavy Stake, Chief Says

By Alan Katz

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp. Chief Executive Officer Katsuaki Watanabe said his company, the fastest-growing carmaker in the U.S., won't buy DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler arm or raise its stake in Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

Watanabe, 65, also dismissed the idea of buying more of Fuji Heavy, which makes Subaru-brand vehicles. Toyota City, Japan-based Toyota bought an 8.7 percent stake in Fuji Heavy in 2005 from General Motors Corp.

The only interesting Japanese car company left, and it gets absorbed by the world's biggest purveyor of rolling furniture. Toyotas are about as much fun as stoves, with a few exceptions that aren't even very recent. Of course, Toyota is Wildly Profitable so they Know Better and pretty soon every bit of the character I like in Subarus will be smoothed and filed and painted and gone.

Damn.

100% agreed. Toyota buying Subaru might be good for investors, but I think it's bad for those of us who buy a Subaru because it's a Subaru.

Look what GM did to Saab...ahem...Saab 9-7x ???

Toyota may be all about quality, but Subaru is all about CHARACTER.

Don't give up hope yet (but, not to be naive). Mercury is a Ford and arguably, Chevy, Buick and Pontiac are inbred cousins. Bad example.

So, how different is a Scion to Toyota? I've seen Scions but really don't know.

Don't give up hope yet (but, not to be naive). Mercury is a Ford and arguably, Chevy, Buick and Pontiac are inbred cousins. Bad example.

So, how different is a Scion to Toyota? I've seen Scions but really don't know.

scions are geared towards teh younger tuner crowd, to try and get them young into the toyota name. Sure, most don't know its owned by Toyota, but Toyota's hope is to get them young with a scion. Upgrade to a toyota later, and then if interested, lexus for their luxury line. Just trying to build customer trust within the company.

Archived