LegacyGT.com

Toyota cleared to buy Subaru

hogmeat

100% agreed. Toyota buying Subaru might be good for investors, but I think it's bad for those of us who buy a Subaru because it's a Subaru.

Look what GM did to Saab...ahem...Saab 9-7x ???

Toyota may be all about quality, but Subaru is all about CHARACTER.

I think it's tough to say what would happen. Toyota has never bought another major manufacturer. The closest they've come is Dihatsu and we don't really see those over here so can't judge. They also bought Hino trucks but that's totally different.

Toyota's other car divisions, Scion and Lexus, were created internally to address certain markets. They had no existing identity or engineering history.

Toyota is very business savvy so hopefully they'd realize Subaru is different and should stay that way while addressing certain issues Subaru has (squeeks and rattles). I'd really like to see Subaru become more known for sporty cars and performance as well as AWD, safety and reliability.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scions are geared towards teh younger tuner crowd, to try and get them young into the toyota name. Sure, most don't know its owned by Toyota, but Toyota's hope is to get them young with a scion. Upgrade to a toyota later, and then if interested, lexus for their luxury line. Just trying to build customer trust within the company.

I think pretty much everyone who's heard of Scion knows they're Toyotas and if they go to a Toyota dealer, they'll definitely know. I'm sure the engines and door stickers say Toyota on them also. Just like everyone knows Lexus is Toyota and Acura is Honda.

But, the key point is, are Toyotas and Scions different or, simply Ford and Mercury?

Would Toyota (if, this happens) make Subaru's a re-badged Camry?

Most people would argree that Jaguars are better cars under Ford. I admit, it's hard to believe there's not a Taurus lurking under the sheet metal.

But, the key point is, are Toyotas and Scions different or, simply Ford and Mercury?

Would Toyota (if, this happens) make Subaru's a re-badged Camry?

Most people would argree that Jaguars are better cars under Ford. I admit, it's hard to believe there's not a Taurus lurking under the sheet metal.

Scion is Toyota's lowest end brand. There's a bit of price overlap with the Toyota brand but not much and Scion is supposed to be younger/hipper(/stupider). Similarly, the Lexus ES overlaps a bit with the Avalon but not much. Toyota doesn't really have any parallel brands like Ford/Mercury or various GM brands.

Personally, I think Ford has done a reasonably good job of not corrupting the brands they bought. Mazda is still producing the same type of cars they always have (Japanese feeling, somewhat sporty) and Volvo still produces nice and safe cars (too bad they're not reliable).

The English brands would all be dead if Ford hadn't bought them and the vehicles range from meh to pretty nice. As for Jags being a Taurus, well, the S-Type is the same as the Lincoln LS and the X-Type is a European Mondeo (the replacement for the Contour we used to get). The Mondeo is a pretty decent car for the price.

Archived