LegacyGT.com

AVO Intake Review....

edmundu

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hows the performance compared to the k&n?

I have been tuning my Typhoon and I will say it is very consistant and hardly ever resonates. The main reason most go for the AVO is because it slightly bigger diameter allowing it to easily accommodate larger turbos. I have no experience with tuning an AVO however a local did express his dislikes about the design. I personally would go for the K&N solely because it is CARB legal in CA.

I have been tuning my Typhoon and I will say it is very consistant and hardly ever resonates. The main reason most go for the AVO is because it slightly bigger diameter allowing it to easily accommodate larger turbos. I have no experience with tuning an AVO however a local did express his dislikes about the design. I personally would go for the K&N solely because it is CARB legal in CA.

is it carb legal for the 07 as well? i remember hearing they werent..

well my avo intake is coming and im suppose to get my custom protune map today. well see how it works out. so far very happy with my stage 2!

is it carb legal for the 07 as well? i remember hearing they werent..

well my avo intake is coming and im suppose to get my custom protune map today. well see how it works out. so far very happy with my stage 2!

They should be by now, I know the 05-06 definately are. Just be careful the CHP popped me for an emissions violation last Summer, had to go see the Smog ref up at Chaffey College and all. If your not tuning the intake it really is only a concern for your tuner. :)

• 2 weeks later...
You need to understand why.

Flowing 240 or so g/s (VF40) the stock airbox is not much of a restriction.

Flowing 300 or so g/s (medium sized turbo) the stock airbox is a significant restriction.

Flowing 400 or so g/s (large rotated mount).............well, I doubt you would flow that much on the stock airbox.

It doesn't really add power, it is a restriction, just a lot more a restriction with a bigger turbo.

Does this mean that the stock airbox will not flow more than around 240g/s (even with a larger than stock turbo)?

The reason I asked is because when I logged; the max MAF I saw was about 246g/s (at 5200', 12.3 atm pressure) with my 20G. I assume if your numbers above are accurate, the stock airbox is really limiting my turbo?

Does this mean that the stock airbox will not flow more than around 240g/s (even with a larger than stock turbo)?

The reason I asked is because when I logged; the max MAF I saw was about 246g/s (at 5200', 12.3 atm pressure) with my 20G. I assume if your numbers above are accurate, the stock airbox is really limiting my turbo?

The stock airbox will flow above that, for sure.

It starts to become a sizable restriction above that amount (give or take a bit).

For a 20g you are leaving a lot on the table with the OEM airbox.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Still waiting for a time to tune for the AVO intake.

Not changing anything else except the intake, when I install and tune for the new AVO intake, will it result in a broader area under the torque curve vs. the stock air box or will it simply raise the peak value of the curve?

How did your tuning go? I'm about halfway through tuning my AVO and so far I'm impressed. My MAF values are significantly higher than stock through the closed loop portion of the range. If this improvement holds up top, I will no longer be pegging my MAF and will have some headroom to spare.

Dave

I will be tuning the AVO this weekend...

________

Dennie

• 2 weeks later...
I have had 3 different exhausts, and the current one uses modified stock cans, and I feel I am not leaving more than 3-4whp on the table. If even that much....

How did you modify the stock cans? I was looking to do the same thing, but the tiny stock 1.5" piping goes most of the way through the muffler....

^^^

I cut open the inlet chamber side, peeled it back, and then drilled 8-10 3/8" holes into the pipe. Then sealed them back up with a patch panel and muffler cement.

This mod allows the exhaust to remain docile under part throttle, but under WOT, the backpressure builds to where the exhaust just goes out the drilled holes and out the muffler outlet, mostly bypassing the 2nd rear chamber.

^^^

I cut open the inlet chamber side, peeled it back, and then drilled 8-10 3/8" holes into the pipe. Then sealed them back up with a patch panel and muffler cement.

This mod allows the exhaust to remain docile under part throttle, but under WOT, the backpressure builds to where the exhaust just goes out the drilled holes and out the muffler outlet, mostly bypassing the 2nd rear chamber.

I figured it was something like that... how well do you think it works? Would you go through the trouble again? Having the 2.5" AVO Y's go in to the stock 1.5" muffler inlets just has me thinking... Two 1.5" pipes have the area of a single 2" pipe... I like the quietness of the stock cans, I just can't get over that reduction...

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread as the info is relevant.

With edmundu we installed the AVO intake on my car Sunday evening... Should be piece of cake, right? Wrong. The screws for MAF sensor AVO supplies with the intake are absolutely wrong for the application. Provided hex head screws (with oddball 7mm heads) cannot work because the heads sink into the holes on the MAF sensor flanges. You cannot get socket or wrench on them. Actually on one side the screw would not go in at all as it hits MAF housing. FAIL.

Luckily edmundu had some washers and grommets and we rigged up a temporary ghetto fix that worked (otherwise it would prevent us from the scheduled road tuning).

Picture below shows the included hex head screw and a a Philips replacement screw I got later. What was need was M4 x 12mm screw with 0.7mm thread pitch.

On a positive side, edmundu noted that AVO upped quality of the band clamps plus they have normal 8mm screws and not 7mm. Btw, his version used the stock tap screws to secure MAF. The threaded screws are an improvement, just too bad correct screws were not included.

Moral of the story - never assume an aftermarket part will fit and do not plan to install it on Sunday evening without checking fitment first :lol:

avo.thumb.jpg.b03ee39313e2e7ecc8530a8047d05895.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived