LegacyGT.com

AVO Intake Review....

edmundu

Forget the CEL exact code, but it was for MAF reading higher then 5 volts...reset the ECU and it never came back. Something may have been lose...?

Was it raining?

I sometimes get a momentary spike in my MAFv when its raining. MAFs work off cooling.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget the CEL exact code, but it was for MAF reading higher then 5 volts...reset the ECU and it never came back. Something may have been lose...?

You've got an intake leak. Pull the MAF sensor out and look at the o-ring that is supposed to go around the collar. It's probably rolled up and streched out right above the groove where its supposed to set. This same thing happened to me and I was pegging the MAF. Replaced the o-ring and it was reading fine again.

Gee, do you think that might cause the g/sec reading to be higher then it actually is? :lol:

That could even possibly lead one to believe that they had a magic turbo ;)

Don't use those socks; they are counterproductive - if you use the stock you might as well put a dirty stock filter back on.

Appreciative and respectful of rao's analysis/advice, but I dunno, the hs seems extremely air porous (hard to explain the material, but handling/messing with it gives an impression). I thought it'd be a decent addition for my app considering:

1. I'm of the opinion the material avo (or perhaps any 'high flow') uses def lets more through (albeit not very much) in terms of microfine contaminent than the stock fibrous filter; using the avo pf for some time, I've seen enough evidence of the (minimal, but noticable) residue since then when removing for cleanings evident on the 'wrong side' of the stock airbox (and yes, it's been properly installed, in good shape and maintained well). It seems that the cone employs the same material. The hs pre-filter is supposedly designed to aid in capturing very small particles (who knows how well). At least it will keep big crap out of the nooks of the waffling.

2. Not going with an enormous turbo, I'm inclined to think flow will still be more than adequate.

3. It's cool because water beads on it :p

I'll be sure to try with/without, and post results :)

It looks like it is easy to take on and off.

Why don't you datalog from 2000 to 7000 rpm before and after? Try to use the same stretch of road and try to start at the same rpm.

We can calculate your acceleration in g's if you do the log in 3rd gear and compare.

My friend's stock Audi S4 has an equivalent prefilter in front of his air filter. It gets blocked with leaves and I'm amazed his car can drive at all.

Gee, do you think that might cause the g/sec reading to be higher then it actually is? :lol:

That could even possibly lead one to believe that they had a magic turbo

Don't take the magic away!

Last night I quadruple checked all of the connections around the turbo, and intake, including the MAF sensor.

Magic still there for me.:p:p legitimately maxing out the MAF sensor FTW!:p:p:p

• 3 weeks later...
sooo this might be a really stupid question but.. when the air filter on the cai goes out how do you replace it? it doesn't look like there are any replacement filters being sold by avo. im guessing you just need another filter that fits the piping?

• 6 months later...

Edmundu - Currently I am hitting 307whp/320wtq with DB TD06-20G 7cm turbo, stock airbox (w/ K&N panel filter), perrin up, cobb down, mp, y and stock cans. I have an AVO intake sitting in a box in which my tuner says it will take awhile to tune for if I put it on. In your opinion, is it worth putting on the AVO intake or just sticking with the K&N panel filter?

Thx

On a bone stock car & ecu, it will likely be fine. The stock programming is pig rich under boost, so with a bit of leaning form the intake it will actually make a bit of power. Once you have an exhaust though things change. then the airflow through the engine will be different and will likely require a tune.

If I'm not mistaken, all the available intakes are OK for otherwise stock cars. It is when you mod the other parts, and in partciular, run a Protune intended for a stock intake that you get into trouble.

Edmundu - Currently I am hitting 307whp/320wtq with DB TD06-20G 7cm turbo, stock airbox (w/ K&N panel filter), perrin up, cobb down, mp, y and stock cans. I have an AVO intake sitting in a box in which my tuner says it will take awhile to tune for if I put it on. In your opinion, is it worth putting on the AVO intake or just sticking with the K&N panel filter?

Thx

For you car you will unlock a lot of whp. I would guess you could hit an extra 15 wtq/whp if not more.

In your opinion, is it worth putting on the AVO intake or just sticking with the K&N panel filter?

Thx

How much noise do you want to put up and for how many horses?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlAm0MPt1FU]YouTube - 14[/ame]

That's my car with the AVO on it. It's one of the quieter ones, but thats subjective.

*****Please note that I do have some other minor modifications to the car as well.******

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlAm0MPt1FU

That's my car with the AVO on it. It's one of the quieter ones, but thats subjective.

*****Please note that I do have some other minor modifications to the car as well.******

That looked fun. Stock tranny still running strong?

I think the AVO is a great product at a great price, and is quieter than the K & N.

Thx

I had an APS Sr40(very comparable to your 20g) when I switched from a stock airbox setup to an AEM intake, and I gained more power than adding alcohol injection! The alky was giving me something around 35whp, and I estimate the intake was worth about 40whp...perhaps more.

I am certain you are leaving alot on the table with the stock airbox. I was in exactly your place, and I had erringly assumed that an intake was not worth much....Boy was I ever wrong!!!

Just one word of caution, DO NOT put this on without a remap for it. As for noise the AEM was a little quieter, but my intake is not very noisy at all.

I was ready to put on the AVO intake on my last dyno, but we were running out of time that day. We had the intake physically on the car, but the A/F ratio's were way off and the tuner said it would take quite of bit of time to tune for the AVO. We put the stock airbox back on and I dynoed in at 307whp/320. I began to think that I couldn't do much better than that at 5500' on a dyno dynamics dynomometer and was thinking I should be happy with these numbers because many others have said that the intake will only add 5-10whp. But, I hope you are correct. It was the water/meth injection that got me over 300whp in the first place at this altitude and using a TMIC. If the AVO intake does what you say, I will extremely :D.

Are all MAF re-tunes the same for each intake or are they car specific? If they are the same for each intake, maybe someone can share their AVO inake MAF data with me?

Thanks for the info.

I had an APS Sr40(very comparable to your 20g) when I switched from a stock airbox setup to an AEM intake, and I gained more power than adding alcohol injection! The alky was giving me something around 35whp, and I estimate the intake was worth about 40whp...perhaps more.

I am certain you are leaving alot on the table with the stock airbox. I was in exactly your place, and I had erringly assumed that an intake was not worth much....Boy was I ever wrong!!!

Just one word of caution, DO NOT put this on without a remap for it. As for noise the AEM was a little quieter, but my intake is not very noisy at all.

many others have said that the intake will only add 5-10whp.

You need to understand why.

Flowing 240 or so g/s (VF40) the stock airbox is not much of a restriction.

Flowing 300 or so g/s (medium sized turbo) the stock airbox is a significant restriction.

Flowing 400 or so g/s (large rotated mount).............well, I doubt you would flow that much on the stock airbox.

It doesn't really add power, it is a restriction, just a lot more a restriction with a bigger turbo.

Sorry to take it off topic - what is the bigger restriction - the stock air box or the stock cans?

Airbox, by at least a factor of 2 IMO.

FWFW some people here will say the stock cans are hardly a restriction at all. I disagree. For my 340 whp set-up I estimate they are worth 7 or 8 whp.

I have had 3 different exhausts, and the current one uses modified stock cans, and I feel I am not leaving more than 3-4whp on the table. If even that much....

I agree with LBGT that the intake at 300+whp levels easily trumps the stock muffler's, and I would wager even more than a factor of 2;)

All intake calibrations are not the same, even when all of your other parts are similar. The injector's make a big difference, and how they were scaled and dialed in. There is no set MAF table scaling for any aftermarket intake, at least I have yet to see one. Just get the intake tuned for your setup, and I can pretty much guarantee a smile on your face for the efforts and money spent:)

That's great.

It is obvious that the best advice comes from those with experience. It was the posts from you, LittleBlue and Rao that finally convinced me to go the water/meth injection route - something that I was very hesitant to do, but now I am so glad that I did.

With that said, it sounds like another trip to the tuner for the AVO intake.

Thanks guys

I have had 3 different exhausts, and the current one uses modified stock cans, and I feel I am not leaving more than 3-4whp on the table. If even that much....

I agree with LBGT that the intake at 300+whp levels easily trumps the stock muffler's, and I would wager even more than a factor of 2;)

All intake calibrations are not the same, even when all of your other parts are similar. The injector's make a big difference, and how they were scaled and dialed in. There is no set MAF table scaling for any aftermarket intake, at least I have yet to see one. Just get the intake tuned for your setup, and I can pretty much guarantee a smile on your face for the efforts and money spent:)

Archived