LegacyGT.com

AVO Intake Review....

edmundu

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't know XO2 was quality stuff. How much, and does it fit well (of course with sti type turbo)?

Just so you know, it also requires the Sti intake manifold. Fit is quite good. Like any large tmic, it needs a bit of trimming on the splitter, as well as some bending of the bracket holding the ac line. And some TLC to get it in place, but once there it sits on the mounts very well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
No. The AEM bolts to the 70mm pipe, whereas the Avo bolts to a new MAF housing, one that has a larger diameter mounting tab. Overall size is similar between them, but they aren't interchangeable...

The AEM wouldn't, but the SPT could be made to work. You would need to cut it some, as the SPT curves back towards the ABS pump, whereas the AVO stays straight.

Another route, would be to use some aluminum sheet, and fabricate your own shield. Either polish it, or use reflective heat shield adhesive sheets from Thermotec to further reject heat from the engine bay.

So I know you "should" tune your car for an intake, but I've heard many people say you could run the AEM without a tune, it just wouldn't be as effective for adding power. Can you also run the AVO without a tune and just not gain as much power for the time being? I have an 07', so my tuning solution isn't here yet, but I wouldn't mind an intake. Sorry if this is somehow hi-jacking your thread.

On a bone stock car & ecu, it will likely be fine. The stock programming is pig rich under boost, so with a bit of leaning form the intake it will actually make a bit of power. Once you have an exhaust though things change. then the airflow through the engine will be different and will likely require a tune.

If I'm not mistaken, all the available intakes are OK for otherwise stock cars. It is when you mod the other parts, and in partciular, run a Protune intended for a stock intake that you get into trouble.

edmundu...I got my avo intake and installed it. questions I have is where does the bracket go for the intake. the bracket didn't seem to have a place to be ttached to. second how long do you think I can run without a tune on a basic stage 2 tdc tuned package. I have uppipe downpipe and catless midpipe aswell as xo2 catback. I'm waiting for xo2 to have a front mount produced which will probably take a month or two. third...I hear the intake sucking in air...and then hear the bpv release air but sometimes I hear like a tumbeling effect...like a sputtering of the air flowing into the intake is that normal?

The stock airbox attaches to the frame with two small bolts which use rubber isolators. You reuse one of these bolts to attach the AVO intake bracket to the frame, using the rearmost of the two stock airbox holes. The other end of the bracket attaches to the cast piece of the intake, using the provided bolt.

diamondgraymetallic21....does yours make like a sputtering intake sound sometimes?

btw guys mine has been on my stage 2 car for like a week now, no tune yet, appointment is supposed to be tuesday...and no engine lights yet.

• 3 weeks later...
Did you have to ask for the blue hoses with it or is that just how it came? Ive seen some people with black hoses and some with blue, but I dont see anywhere to select the color for it on the sites.

sure:

it's the 'medium' size. ordered from autoanything for 23.95.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/duluoz_01/IMG_0383.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/duluoz_01/IMG_0384.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/duluoz_01/IMG_0382.jpg

Archived