Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

tbh having nav at my fingertips with my phone.. I rarely use it.. its only when I dont know how to get somewhere that I do.

I dont think a 2nd screen is necessary but.. hey if you want to do it I think it'd be kind of cool..

you know tho what most oems do nowadays is have a compound display that has all the data on the same screen.. which for the most part is fine.

whatever floats your boat. Personally I tink if you want to pioneer this moer power to you.. innovation and the sharing of your findings is what built this thread to begin with.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I simply don't think I have the time to devote to the research and development of this. I bet it would be fun, and doable, but not something that would be done overnight.

Still, it's intriguing. The problem would be having two touch screen VGA monitors working in unison. Again, not impossible (Kenwood does, or used to, have units that could pigtail touch monitors together).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

1) You are an ass.

2) I run dual monitors with one desktop at home. Since most CarPC's use desktop or laptop components, why is it so ZOMG UNTHINKABLE to run two monitors in the car?

I guess anyone running dual monitors at home or work is stupid... and a gangster thug.

3) My logic for having two screens is that I want Nav on top. Permanently. The bottom would be for all other A/V integration. I don't care if you think it's dumb, it's what I want and is why I asked.

Thanks.

Post reported just as you did on mine. I did make fun; not call you names.

*sigh*

at one point or antoher we're all asses on the forums. :lol:

some of us more than others. (I'm actually talking about myself here. :lol::p)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

*sigh*

This is not the Politics Forum so here I actually agree with you.:wub:

1) You are an ass.

2) I run dual monitors with one desktop at home. Since most CarPC's use desktop or laptop components, why is it so ZOMG UNTHINKABLE to run two monitors in the car?

I guess anyone running dual monitors at home or work is stupid... and a gangster thug.

3) My logic for having two screens is that I want Nav on top. Permanently. The bottom would be for all other A/V integration. I don't care if you think it's dumb, it's what I want and is why I asked.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/facepalm.jpeg

And I run three monitors at home, what does that make me? Mr. T?

Anyway - you can both cut it now, this is just embarrassing... :(

453747.png

I run 4 :)

Just need graphics cards, monitors, money, all that jazz...

I wouldnt be worried about running dual touch screen monitors, I'd be more concerned about actually finding a piece of software that can work well with it. I know RR (roadrunner/riderunner) has some good support, I think some ppl have used dual monitors on it. But whatever the case may be, it would be cool to see what comes out of it.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I like that, but for "oem look" I'd want to use the si drive knob.

what I'd ideally want from a carputer system is a system that is so seamless that even subaru people wonder if its a prototype system.

which is why I dont have one at all. :lol:

I was actually thinking of taking out my SI-Drive knob and replacing it with one of those cool looking knobs that f1 linked to. My problems are that I don't use my CarPC enough (I get too much radio interference -- gotta fix that), and I never use the mouse. I guess I could config it to do certain functions, but I dunno. :lol:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Romraider displays the main guages similar to that, but has a lot more features including min/max values and alarms etc. So that would do me as well as what I have now.. Although at least now if I struggle to view the max values I can tell sort of what it is.

I have looked into ssm/lumberjack but unfortunately it doesn't support the openport 2.0 protocol and my car only support the 2.0 protocol. SSM will work fine for the 1.2/1.3 Cables from what I understand.

I talked to Nate (the developer of SSM), and he said he is working on OpenPort 2.0 support. However, he hasn't put out a new release since Jan 1, so who knows :confused: Contact him on his page and he's very good with responding, maybe he can give you an update.

*sigh*

Nope, not all of us. Maybe you guys, but not me :lol:

Well, that's part of the thing. I would imagine that code would only need to be written so startup boots iGuidance on monitor 1, and RR/CF/Whatever front end on monitor 2.

That doesn't seem hard. My google toolbar always boots to my right monitor, and object-dock to the top of the left monitor.

I don't need the front-end to extend to both monitors, I would just need a carPC capable of simultaneously running two applications. Something most dual-cores can handle with enough ram.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

gah.. I need to do some custom work. I'm tired of my audio cable, iphone charger cable, and radar detector cable getting wrapped around my shifter! (even tho its an AT.. they still get in the way.)

also if my iphone windhsield mount falls off and turns on my windhsield wipers one more time its going out the window.

I was hoping not to have to spend any more money on this heh, but I'm going on a trip soon and I cant put this off forever.

where on the fuse panel have yall gone to tap for power? Is it aux. switched or do you use a relay for that? I dont want my radar detector running my battery down.. and I know I'll forget to unplug it.

There have been people who have made iPhone mounts for the cubby. You could easily route cables behind the dash that way.

For the power to the radar detector, there are blank spots in the fuse box that are ACC switched. You could try that, or you could use mini-fuse-taps from Autozone and piggyback off of the fuse for another low-draw circuit (like the ashtray light or something).

where on the fuse panel have yall gone to tap for power? Is it aux. switched or do you use a relay for that? I dont want my radar detector running my battery down.. and I know I'll forget to unplug it.

I put a piggyback on the cigarette lighter fuse slot.

I put a piggyback on the cigarette lighter fuse slot.

Yep. Actually no. Piggybacked (i just soldered more wires) the front console cig plug for radar and the middle console one for juice for the the cooling fan. Ran a wire from battery to the back of the car where I have my Carnetix PSU and that is for all CARPC electronics.

I actually just ran the monitor straight off the computer power. Works perfectly and turns the monitor on when the computer comes on. I dont need the monitor for backup camera or anything though, so thats part of the reasoning I did it that way.
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

• 4 weeks later...

So hey guys,

After going through about 20 different types of paint I may have stumbled upon an almost exact match (both color, texture and reflectiveness) as to the stock paint. I'm painting my bezel now with it and will post pictures when I'm done.

-cf

Winning the internet

My car PC is a full laptop on a Jotto desk. With the Sprint wireless card I get data too. I often stream live video from the car, especially on severe weather chases and hurricane intercepts. If I really need music pushed through to the radio, I have a head unit with an aux. jack and just plug it into the headphone port on the laptop. It isn't hard at all, although the laptop monitor can be a little bright at night sometimes.

great price.

Hey I had that keyboard.. it sucked! :D I still have it on the floor of my garage somewhere.. I dunno where the receiver is tho.. I think its in my used to be in-car now on floor of garage toolbox.

My garage looks like a hurricane hit it.. and left sawdust drywall powder and tools everywhere.

I was thikning if I did this again I would get an EEE box. They're about $300 and seem like they MIGHT be small enough to glovebox. I'd keep everything up front.. get an oem screen thats broken (hopefully) for the buttons and wire them up to a serial port to do something..

I wouldn't try to make any products for people next time aorund.. too much trouble and cost. Trying to make this for everyone is kind of what ruined my taste for the project the 1st time.

I still have that keyboard, minus the mousey bits. I agree, it sucks. :lol: I'm still looking for a small keyboard that doesn't suck.

I have a Logitech DiNovo mini that's well built (a thing of beauty, really) but hard to type on.

I'm looking for a laptop keyboard minus the laptop.