LegacyGT.com

Oh this suspension.....

ToddMcF2002

Hello all.

I've had my 06 LGT (black, 5 speed) for about a week now and I've grown to love the car. Unfortunately, I hate to admit I really dislike the suspension. I'm coming from an e46 M3 and I knew it wouldnt handle as well but this thing is downright dangerous.

It can't corner to save its life. Body roll is terrible. Today in a corner (not even driving that hard) I had to recover from understeer late in the apex. Nose rises under acceleration like a Lincoln Town car. Really, its bad. I thought it would be more like an old Maxima I had but its far worse.

My M3 might of had a hard ride but it had none of these issues that's for certain. I'm sure you have all experienced this but wow is handling bad.

I've searched this site and I've come up with what I "think" is a good order of modifications. I want to take it sort of slow - spend and test approach. It doesnt have to be perfect in the end just alot better.

Here is what I'm thinking. Each number will be the mod in order. Then I'll run it for a while and move to the next step. Please give feedback!

1. Cusco rear sway with Cusco endlinks

2. Cusco front sway with Cusco endlinks

3. Sti Pinks (do I need shocks and dampners???)

4. Whiteline anti lift kit (will these work? http://www.fastwrx.com/whankita.html)

5. 18" aftermarket wheels supporting 245s.

Finally - Planet Subaru (Hanover MA) is pretty close my house. Does anyone local think that's a good bet for doing some work?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Search, lotsa info here.

Cusco bars are fine, good pick.

Pinks are not great on stock dampers. Yes, you need dampers, stock ones suck.

Wheels - this is personal preference. Just get better tires.

Also check Fulcrum or Perrin LCA bushings.

Don't forget about good alignment! (neg. camber ftw)

And really don't despair - upgraded suspension will transform the car to BMW level or actually better thanks to AWD. I have JDM SpecB Bilsteins with SpecB Pinks plus JDM GT rear sway bar. THE HANDLING ROOOOCKS!!!! :wub::wub::wub::wub:

I had similar complaints about my '02 LGT, but it's much better after modding the suspension. I've done the following and rank them in order of importance:

1) Shocks and struts - KYB GR-2

2) Whiteline heavy-duty swaybars front and rear w/ end links

3) Hawk HPS brake pads

4) Kartboy short shifter w/ front bushing

5) Whiteline ALK

6) Centerforce DFX clutch w/ throwout & pilot bearings

7) Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S tires all around

I kept the stock springs since this is a daily driver and I had enough punishment from my MR-2 (now sold - the improvement of the LGT is that good). The GR-2 shocks and struts were enough to tame the suspension and settle it nicely, but it still leaned too much. The sways fixed the lean, but the AVO end links (1/2 the price of others) required mods to get them to fit, so I'd use Whiteline end links if I were doing it again. The Hawk HPS pads greatly improve the brake feel and eliminate fade, but they do dust - get the Hawk Ceramics if you object to dust. The Kartboy shifter and bushings make shifts much more positive (you can feel definite gates) as well as shorter. The ALK improves the steering, improving on-center feel and adding a bit of weight, but the standard version transmits quite a bit of noise - I'd use the comfort version next time. The stock clutch was more like a race clutch (short engagement range, stiff pedal, and difficult to modulate at less than full throttle), but the Centerforce is lighter and smoother, especially at low power (wife in passenger seat).

The Pirellis hold the road much better than the stock Bridgestones, especially in the wet. I live in the central Midwest, so dedicated snow tires wouldn't do much for me since the streets are bare for 95% of the cold season, and the P Zero Nero M&S works nearly as well in the dry as a summer tire. I don't autocross or race, so I don't need that last small increment of performance.

All together these mods give me a street car that's not wearing to drive, but which handles well. My wife doesn't notice the changes, but I definitely do. My LGT is now the equal of my '93 MR-2, but has a much lower visual profile - who's going to notice the tan wagon vs. a red 2-seat sports car with wings, etc? I consider it a win all around.

Looks like you've done some research, which is cool. Personally, I'd recommend springs before sways. Better bang for the buck as they address both body roll AND dive/squat whereas the sways only minimize body roll - you'd still be stuck with your Town Car nose rise. You may well find you don't need sways once you've got the springs on, but the sways alone won't get you to where you want to be. Springs + Tires might be all you need.

I'm running iON springs on stock struts and stock sways, and I'm pretty happy with that combo. But I also know it could be better.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

+1 for Cusco sways. Save your money, you don't need other endlinks...stockers are ok.

Springs...iON sport spec.

3.9/5.9 for the STi pinks

4.3/6.6 for the Swifts and 4.0kg/mm

1", 5.2kg/mm 2" front / 6.7kg/mm rear for iON sport spec

Struts....struts will work with iON or Pinks...note iON engineered their springs with the USDM struts in mind, Pinks were engineered for the JDM, but will work.

Buy good tires and lighter wheels. From what people say, getting ride of the stock all seasons make a big difference. 245 is going to add a lot of weight, especially with an 18x8 wheel.

If you have the cash, don't do just springs...Cusco coilovers or KW2.

I am coming from a '95 LeBaron so while I find the LGT to be a drastic improvement, I have experienced some of the well-documented shortcomings of the suspension.

In my opinion the first step to improving the Legacy's suspension must be a matched set of springs/dampers. These components are what determines the overall performance of the suspension. The "soft" stock components let the chassis shift/lean so drastically that any predictability is lost due to weight-transfer. Changing to a firmer matched set will reduce the nose rise/dive and will also tighten up the body roll signifigantly.

By changing the springs/dampers first you will be able to fine-tune the attitude of the car with swaybars.

Also, the Fulcrum LCA bushings are expected to greatly improve the vehicles self-centering and provide more confidence at high-speed straight line tracking.

As always, the tire is going to be the most critical part of getting the power to the ground. If you firm up the suspension, you will need a tire that has enough grip to keep you planted in high speed turns.

I also have 05 GT and suspension OE poor handling and floaty, I tried springs and they were too soft (tein H)

I just switched to Megan Coilovers a month ago and together with my progress sway bars god it handles fantastic

Ride is a little stiff but not harsh and our roads here just voted the worst on Ontario in online survey. The nice part too is I just raised the heighth back to stock when mounting my winter wheels and it took 10 minutes while on the lift

These megans are 1/2 the cost of the Tein Flex and I'm very happy with them, my last car was a 04 Z06 and the handling and ride is on par. :icon_mrgr

+

Struts....struts will work with iON or Pinks...note iON engineered their springs with the USDM struts in mind, Pinks were engineered for the JDM, but will work.

I strongly disagree. Regardless if something was designed for stock sturts or not - the struts are crap and should go. I would say that should be #2 mod on everyone's list, just after RE92s.

I strongly disagree. Regardless if something was designed for stock sturts or not - the struts are crap and should go. I would say that should be #2 mod on everyone's list, just after RE92s.

Struts are ok for me. But yes, I agree, they could be better. Problem is we don't have a ton of choices. Tokico is now out, Bilsteins are still $700 and you are still gonna need aftermarket springs with those as the stock Spec B springs are too soft. At that price you could opt for coilovers. But coilovers usually prove to be stiffer than the alternative, plus you usually have additional noise and vibration.

+10

iON springs work OK with stock dampers (for sedan only IMO) but just do it right and get better dampers too. Dampers make a much bigger difference too!

+10

iON springs work OK with stock dampers (for sedan only IMO) but just do it right and get better dampers too. Dampers make a much bigger difference too!

List of avaliable dampers? Any that take USDM tophats or that do not require JDM size front springs?

List of avaliable dampers? Any that take USDM tophats or that do not require JDM size front springs?

None, unless there is something JDM for 2.0R (non-GT) JDM Legacies. I doubt it though.

Available dampers (all for JDM/Bilstein tophats):

Bilsteins in all flavors

Ohlins

KYB Lowfers and I believe another model

Tokicos (discontinued)

The top hats are not a deal breaker (~$80-90 from a dealership). Used Bilstein takeoffs usually come with everything.

cool,thanks.

None, unless there is something JDM for 2.0R (non-GT) JDM Legacies. I doubt it though.

Available dampers (all for JDM/Bilstein tophats):

Bilsteins in all flavors

Ohlins

KYB Lowfers and I believe another model

Tokicos (discontinued)

The top hats are not a deal breaker (~$80-90 from a dealership). Used Bilstein takeoffs usually come with everything.

I have SpecB (but Rev.B) with Pinks and the ride is great - not harsh at all. Great damping. Rev.A is reportedly harsher, I don't how by how much. I'd doubt it's that much harhser.

This is good stuff guys. Is everyone who is recommending components actually running them? Thats a biggie! ;)

I have JDM SpecB Bilsteins with Pinks + rear JDM GT bar. :wub::wub::wub:

For the biggest improvment get better tires first...then JDM Spec-B Bilsteins (Rev. A) with STi Spec-B pink springs for the win...

everything after that is just gravy...sway bars, strut bars, bushings, etc.

Opie

I have a '05 wagon. I did mine in this order.

wheels and tires( 19"x7.5" 225/35/19) Improved grip General tires really smooth out ride.

Whiteline F&R adj. swaybars = Both set on soft and car is very neutral and flat in turn no change in ride.

H-tech spring = 0.9" drop improved dive and squat. With 14K mi on on stock struts. The ride is still pretty good.

Next step:

Superpro LCA bushing on the way.

Cobb RSB bracket

Maybe:

Cusco F&R lower control arm braces

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Archived