LegacyGT.com

Oh this suspension.....

ToddMcF2002

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tires are great an all, but will do nothing to address the excessive body motions that the OP complained of. Since he's coming from an M3, I'd suggest upgrading to coilovers. From a more Germanic feel and a good ride you can't do much better than the KW V2's. I believe that a previous poster also mention the Megan Racing coilovers and those would definately up the handling ante signifigantly at a very resonable price. Couple the coilovers with a nice set of sway bars and you'll forget all about the M3.;) BTW, as most people here already know, I am both a KW and Megan Racing dealer. :)

I drove the Spec B and in my opinion its only marginally better. I found it floaty with plenty of nose lift under power and body roll was atrocious.

Spec B has a big advantage with great struts but I think the springs are lame. What exactly are those springs? Are those STi Pinks? Anyone running aftermarket springs on their Spec B with stock dampers? Opinions?

No, the springs are something mushy and USDM-specific. Different than JDM GT Rev.C which has the same struts but somewhat stiffer springs.

Yes, many people JDM GT dampers with aftermarket springs and are quite happy, although majority of them has JDM GT Rev. A dampers - stiffer than Rev.C. Also some discriminating drivers, like Max Rebo upgrade the dampers in the USDM SpecB sedan to "real" JDM SpecB dampers - much more aggresively damped.

So what exactly are the USDM Spec B springs? Not STi Pinks right?

No! These are some crapola cushy wires. Different than USDM GT, different than JDM GT (at least these from 2006 USDM).

Pinks are marketed by STI - official Subaru Japan aftermarket branch - and cost new ~$400. Officially not sold by SOA/SPT in the US for LGT at least. All are imports from Japan.

JDM GT = more comfort

JDM SpecB = more performance

But, a few days ago in another thread:

I recently learned that Pinks have the same rates regardless whether GT or SpecB. The differences are in LENGTHS to compesate for difference in weights between GT and SpecB - primarily differencs in the transmission (6MT vs 5MT; also note different Pinks for AT).

So you're saying the difference in length makes a difference in comfort and performance? Do you happen to know what the lengths are?

Thanks!

But, a few days ago in another thread:

So you're saying the difference in length makes a difference in comfort and performance? Do you happen to know what the lengths are?

Thanks!

The first quote is about DAMPERS. The second is about SPRINGS (Pinks).

Actually the power is the one thing I'm happy with. I'm not expecting M3 handling - just something alot tighter. I'm leaning toward a rear sway and a set of IONs. My struts only have 3K on them, I see no reason to toss them.

I didnt even really have 3000 miles on my stock shocks and I switch them out. I didnt even wait for 200 miles and I already mounted a set of tires and wheels.. and I surely didnt wait on the sways and minor bushings as well.

then again, I did all of that with the help of sponsors in a matter of 1 month after the release date of the GT back in June of 2005

Keefe

Don't whine. You should have known what you were buying. Be happy because: (1) you can upgrade it fairly inexpensively, (2) you got good advice here.

Suspension is one of the easiest upgrades to do. From start to end, it's 1:30 h to swap suspension on our cars.

Trust me I'm not shy about burning money on cars. The Subaru was supposed to be therapy after the M3. Problem is I see potential. I should have gotten a car with NO potential!

that's why I didnt buy an STi ;) or the M3, or even a Porsche.. heck I even turned down a Scion tC and Mini Cooper.. there's just too much aftermarket support that gets everyone tempting to burn that money..

btw, you can burn that money my way if you like.. I can tell you how to really make the GT handle probably better than the M3, just need cash :lol:

Keefe

I drove it alot this weekend. Just curious - does anyone else find 2nd gear to be a bit flat on torque? 3rd picks up pretty nicely, but I just can't seem to get the punch out of 2nd like I do 1st and 3rd.

Maybe I'm just having transition issues. You werent supposed to shift the M3 until you hit readline, which was over 1K higher than the Legacy. I find myself wanting more out of 1st gear and dreading 2nd.

Its wierd. The Legacy is definately fast - I just can't seem to consistently tap the power. Maybe its the Turbo delivering inconsistently in 2nd.

Do you have an auto or stick? On LGT the power peaks before redline. I thinks it's like 5800 rpms.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

5 spd. I had to drive 100 miles to NH get one - automatics are everywhere!
I did the same thing. I drove 120mi from Los angeles to El cajon in rush hour to get the last '05 5mt LGT wagon. You could pick up a V.1 Ap for about $400 and less then that when the V.2 finally gets here. It makes the car alot more fun. I'm going stage 2 soon as I get my parts put on.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Well I got my first kill tonight. With my l33t skillz I was able to take an Expedition somewhere in second gear! Oh boy it was close! What can I say I am a street racer, living a 1/4 mile at a time and all that stuff. It was pretty funny though - hearing that 5.4L rolling condo punch it :lol:

Well besides telling you all about my astonishing driving skillz I wanted to elaborate on that second gear being "flat" thing. During this nailbiter of a race the "flat" gear moved on me - now 3rd gear was flat - it felt like the turbo wouldnt engage - and in fact I think it didnt. Is that possible? Is the ECU messing up or is that something its expected to do? When I mean "flat" it was really obvious, barely any torque at all. I thought the condo on wheels was going to catch up! :lol:

Archived